Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Does the D600 expose differently?

henryp
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Does the D600 expose differently?

Strange Exposure Differences Between the Nikon D600 and Other DSLRs

Read more at http://www.petapixel.com/2012/12/06/strange-exposure-differences-between-the-nikon-d600-and-other-dslrs/

Henry Posner
[email protected]
B&H Photo-Video

Dec 06, 2012 at 03:05 PM
Kroot

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Does the D600 expose differently?

Hmmm, it seems odd that this would be the first anyone has heard about what looks to be a huge difference in exposure on the D600 (at least a stop, it looks like). Perhaps he has a faulty model, or something is going on with the in-camera JPG conversion.

Dec 06, 2012 at 03:19 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Does the D600 expose differently?

It does look odd, I'm guessing a faulty model. Maybe a firmware fix will correct it. The person looks like they tons of experience and gear, but it still could possibly be user error or something in the settings.

Dec 06, 2012 at 04:07 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Does the D600 expose differently?

User error or faulty copy of the camra.

Dec 06, 2012 at 05:42 PM
Kroot

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Does the D600 expose differently?

http://www.petapixel.com/2012/12/06/some-nikon-d600-dslrs-not-closing-to-the-apertures-theyre-supposed-to

Looks like it's a faulty camera.

As someone looking into purchasing a D600, I'll be interested to see what the cause of this is and how many others have been affected with the same issue.

Dec 06, 2012 at 06:17 PM
Kerry Pierce
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Does the D600 expose differently?

There's an update at the bottom of the article that says the d600 wasn't properly closing the aperture on the lens, but no more info than that.

Kerry

Dec 06, 2012 at 06:32 PM
JimKied
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Does the D600 expose differently?

As a D600 owner, and a rank amateur, I can say that my images do NOT appear overexposed. What I do find is that there is an incredible amount of detail and dynamic range in any image, over- under- or correctly exposed. Maybe that explains some of the difference.

As a case in point, on a recent trip after I had just gotten the camera, I took landscape shots using a bracketing sequence of -2, 0, and +2. As an unscientific evaluation the 0 image nearly always looked exactly like I remembered it. And as another unscientifc test, in ACR, if you use the auto exposure button on the plus or minus bracket it would always adjust close to the 2 ev that it was "out." Generally the range was in the 1.8 to 2.4 range. Given the level of contrast in the images, I would say that these were pretty close.

I vote bad copy of camera.

Dec 06, 2012 at 06:32 PM
henryp
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Does the D600 expose differently?

UPDATE:
http://www.petapixel.com/2012/12/06/some-nikon-d600-dslrs-not-closing-to-the-apertures-theyre-supposed-to/

Henry Posner
B&H Photo-Video

Dec 07, 2012 at 09:35 AM
RCicala
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Does the D600 expose differently?

This is something we've seen every once in a great while on all Nikon cameras because of a small bend in the aperture control lever. And every camera, not just Nikon, has an exposure control sensor that must be calibrated at the factory. So it can happen.

I had our techs test every D600 we had in stock this morning (36 copies) and none had an exposure problem like the one reported. I suspect it's just an isolated issue.

Dec 07, 2012 at 11:08 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.