Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · D90 back focusing problems - repair or replace?

mtbrooks

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D90 back focusing problems - repair or replace?

Hey all, I sold off my Canon 1 series gear last year during a break from photography and decided to jump back in with a used Nikon D90. It is immaculate and had 8k clicks when I bought it a few months ago. My experience with a friend's D90 and 50mm - I was getting great colors and razor sharp focus - led me to purchase a similar combo to start.

But I've gotten nothing but frustration. The AF always seems to be just slightly behind the subject's eyes. It's sometimes quite close, but it's just not there.

Considering that I only paid $450 for the body, is it worth $225 (plus shipping) to have Nikon service it? Or do I sell it and try something else? Really frustrated here...

Dec 06, 2012 at 01:06 PM
ChrisCoy
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D90 back focusing problems - repair or replace?

Have you ruled out the lens yet? It may the an issue with the lens and not the camera.

Dec 06, 2012 at 01:45 PM
mtbrooks

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D90 back focusing problems - repair or replace?

At first I thought the same thing, so I rented two more lenses and had similar underwhelming results.

Dec 06, 2012 at 02:08 PM
Deebo
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D90 back focusing problems - repair or replace?

Ouch!! That does suck!! Do you plan on keeping the D90 for a while or will you be upgrading any time in the immiediate future?? If you planned on upgrading, you might want to just go ahead and pull the trigger on an upgrade after selling the D90 for whatever you can get out of it. You'll probably take a hit for the back focusing issue tho.

Dec 06, 2012 at 02:28 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D90 back focusing problems - repair or replace?

only paid $450 for the body
Sorry, but that's kinda high...any chance of returning it?? For $50 more you could get a D300
with AF fine tune abilities As mentioned by Lekan, if you plan on keeping it for quite a while
it might be worth sending to APS for servicing and maybe it won't hurt too bad. GL

Dec 06, 2012 at 02:37 PM
drlouis

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D90 back focusing problems - repair or replace?

I have the same issue with my D90. thing is, it seems to be intermittent. How hard a time would a guy have getting something like this fixed under warranty from Nikon?

Dec 06, 2012 at 02:56 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D90 back focusing problems - repair or replace?

^ The D90's replacement...the D7K has been out over 2 yrs Unless you bought a new D90 "old stock"
body off the shelf of an authorized Nikon dealer...any warranty is long gone I'm afraid.

Dec 06, 2012 at 03:24 PM
drlouis

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D90 back focusing problems - repair or replace?

trenchmonkey wrote:
^ The D90's replacement...the D7K has been out over 2 yrs Unless you bought a new D90 "old stock"
body off the shelf of an authorized Nikon dealer...any warranty is long gone I'm afraid.

doh! you're right. the LENS has a 5 year warranty. I got momentarily confused.

Dec 06, 2012 at 04:16 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D90 back focusing problems - repair or replace?

Dec 06, 2012 at 04:20 PM
plubbry
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D90 back focusing problems - repair or replace?

I'd give a repair facility like APS a call and inquire their charge to calibrate the focus.

Alternatively, if I were in your position I'd likely try and adjust the back focus myself. That is assuming of course that it is consistent with different lenses. Depending on how comfortable you are:
http://www.leongoodman.com/d70focus.html

Dec 06, 2012 at 05:47 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · D90 back focusing problems - repair or replace?

mtbrooks wrote:
Hey all, I sold off my Canon 1 series gear last year during a break from photography and decided to jump back in with a used Nikon D90. It is immaculate and had 8k clicks when I bought it a few months ago. My experience with a friend's D90 and 50mm - I was getting great colors and razor sharp focus - led me to purchase a similar combo to start.

But I've gotten nothing but frustration. The AF always seems to be just slightly behind the subject's eyes. It's sometimes quite close, but it's just not there.

Considering that I only
...Show more

Is that really what nikon quoted to calibrate it?

Dec 06, 2012 at 06:09 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.