Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

  

Archive 2012 · D800 Live View: Stuck in Exposure Preview?
  
 
Erik Moore
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D800 Live View: Stuck in Exposure Preview?


Im trying to set up my D800 for a studio shoot in which I plan to use Live View for focus.

The camer seems to be stuck in "Exposure Preview", meaning the picture is dark in the LCD. Clicking the "Ok" button, which is supposed to toggle exposure preview on and off does nothing except show monitor adjustment options in the screen.

I am using studio lights triggered by a Radiopopper, but the behavior is the same whether or not the transmitter is on the hotshoe.

I cant remember if I've done this successfully with this camera or if the last time I tried was with my D700. I'm hoping I'm missing an option somewhere, but cant seem to find it in the menu or the manual.

Help?



Dec 06, 2012 at 05:09 PM
Alistair1
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D800 Live View: Stuck in Exposure Preview?


Erik Moore wrote:
Im trying to set up my D800 for a studio shoot in which I plan to use Live View for focus.

The camer seems to be stuck in "Exposure Preview", meaning the picture is dark in the LCD. Clicking the "Ok" button, which is supposed to toggle exposure preview on and off does nothing except show monitor adjustment options in the screen.

I am using studio lights triggered by a Radiopopper, but the behavior is the same whether or not the transmitter is on the hotshoe.

I cant remember if I've done this successfully with this camera or if the
...Show more

I don't think that "Exposure Preview" means what you think it does. I think it just means that you get a live histogram. (why on earth did Nikon put it on the OK button BTW!!?).

Live view always renders the exposure setting as the shot will appear. It cannot compensate for flash.



Dec 07, 2012 at 09:01 AM
Erik Moore
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D800 Live View: Stuck in Exposure Preview?


Alistair1 wrote:
I don't think that "Exposure Preview" means what you think it does. I think it just means that you get a live histogram. (why on earth did Nikon put it on the OK button BTW!!?).

Live view always renders the exposure setting as the shot will appear. It cannot compensate for flash.


That's not what exposure preview means at all, at least according to the manual and the way my D700 operated.. The live histogram is only an option within exposure preview.

Live view always renders the exposure setting as the shot will appear. It cannot compensate for flash.

Sorry, that's not true either. The D700 worked just fine this way and Live View works as expected on the D800 in Aperture priority. It doesn't need to show me what the shot will look like with flash, but it can easily compensate for a dark scenes the same way it does in video preview or in aperture priority.

Upon further internet investigation, this looks like a D800 firmware bug, and a lot of people are pissed about it. Especially macro shooters, as flash and liveview focusing are key to their work. This is slowing down my product photography as well, forcing me to take a shot and review to check focus, where I used attain critical focus with live view.




Dec 07, 2012 at 02:36 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



Alistair1
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D800 Live View: Stuck in Exposure Preview?


Forgive me, I am new to Nikon and the D800e and find the whole UI to be a complete shambles, particularly LV, I am just about ready to ebay the damn thing.
But checking mine further, I note that it does indeed behave as you describe when in P or A mode AND when some exposure compensation is dialled in. Otherwise it seems to show the WYSIWYG exposure when in manual mode or when no EC is dialled in.
I will bow out of the post now and do something productive and leave the responses to someone with more experience in this particular body!



Dec 07, 2012 at 03:15 PM
snapsy
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D800 Live View: Stuck in Exposure Preview?


Unfortunately the D800 forces Exposure Preview on when in Manual mode. I describe a workaround in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3ma806K764&hd=1



Dec 07, 2012 at 03:20 PM
Erik Moore
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D800 Live View: Stuck in Exposure Preview?


snapsy wrote:
Unfortunately the D800 forces Exposure Preview on when in Manual mode. I describe a workaround in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3ma806K764&hd=1



Ya, that was the conclusion I found. Framing/focusing in A will work, I suppose, as long as I don't forget to switch back between each shot.

This seems very much to me to be a bug. Especially since the manual seems to describe different (correct) behavior. Hopefully it will eventually be addressed with firmware.

Thanks-



Dec 07, 2012 at 03:48 PM





FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password