Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       5       end

Archive 2012 · Head or heart purchasing?

ct8282
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Head or heart purchasing?

How often do you follow your heart when considering a purchase?

I've come into some funds through selling off some things that were part of another hobby that I've had for many years, and I want to put the money into some new glass. In these scenarios I usually consider a big one off purchase as such items are usually highly unattainable under normal circumstances and are more like dream buys and therefore it would be unlikely I'd have the opportunity again.

The sensible option however would be to pick up 3 or 4 lower costs lenses that would fill focal length gaps and provide me with a more versatile kit bag. This option would most certainly consist of the 24-70f2.8 and the 35f1.4 and maybe the 100f2.8 micro plus I'd still have some cash left over. The dream buy would be one of the big primes, either the 200f2 or 300f2,8 and would invariably be used a lot less but loved more. The sensible route doesn't excite me half as much but would be more practical and those lenses would be used more often. The 24-70 focal range at f2.8 just doesn't float my boat at all but would be one of those 'safe bet' bread and butter lenses but is immensely boring, especially after getting used to the 85 and 24 f1.4 primes.

I know it makes much more sense to look at the gaps in your existing kit and choose accordingly but I will never have the opportunity to buy a monster prime for many years to come, yet the other lenses may be possible purchases in the less distant future because of their lower price tags.

I'm not looking for you to tell me what I should do, but I'm interested to know how often if at all you will follow your heart and take the non sensible route?

Dec 06, 2012 at 04:51 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Head or heart purchasing?

Go with the heart. A once in a lifetime chance to buy something you would normally never buy. You can always buy the sub $2,000 lenses.

Dec 06, 2012 at 04:54 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Head or heart purchasing?

I go with the more sensible purchase and what would provide more use and enjoyment. I'd LOVE to have a 200 f/2, but I know I could buy all the primes I could need and enjoy those more than I'd ever could with a 200.

Also, 'gaps' is a mental thing. You don't need every focal length and every lens made to be a good photographer. Buy what you want, learn to work with it, and enjoy your photos

Dec 06, 2012 at 04:59 PM
ct8282
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Head or heart purchasing?

BenV wrote:
I go with the more sensible purchase and what would provide more use and enjoyment. I'd LOVE to have a 200 f/2, but I know I could buy all the primes I could need and enjoy those more than I'd ever could with a 200.

Also, 'gaps' is a mental thing. You don't need every focal length and every lens made to be a good photographer. Buy what you want, learn to work with it, and enjoy your photos

I think you're right about the gaps thing. If I went with the sensible route adding the 35f1.4 would probably negate the need for the 24-70 as I'd have the range covered with the 24, 35, 50 and 85 and those lenses are far more interesting.

Dec 06, 2012 at 05:03 PM
ChrisCoy
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Head or heart purchasing?

I would personally have to take a good hard look at how much I THOUGHT I would shoot one of those monster primes. It's not a "Throw it in the truck and go shooting" kinda lens - but then I can't really say because I've never owned one, nor shot one. For me, I would have to consider the total investment versus the amount of annual depreciation and compare that with the actual amount of shooting time it would get.

However, I do have to say that I've been known to blow money that I didn't even have yet because my heart yelled louder than my brain.... more times than a few.

Dec 06, 2012 at 05:05 PM
ct8282
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Head or heart purchasing?

Me too Chris. I'm often an impulse, heart driven kinda guy. Buying a 35f1.4 and 100 micro would be the sensible choice in this case and they'd both be used often. Does this option get me excited and would I skip around like kid in a sweet shop when I buy them? No. However the thought of the 200f2 gets my juices going. The potential results from this lens gets me excited as I see it as one of those very unique exotic items. Would it depreciate much over time? I don't think so. Not offensively anyway.
It would certainly be used less but those times it was used it would be far more exciting and interesting and has the potential to produce magical results.

Dec 06, 2012 at 05:20 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Head or heart purchasing?

ct8282 wrote:
Me too Chris. I'm often an impulse, heart driven kinda guy. Buying a 35f1.4 and 100 micro would be the sensible choice in this case and they'd both be used often. Does this option get me excited and would I skip around like kid in a sweet shop when I buy them? No. However the thought of the 200f2 gets my juices going. The potential results from this lens gets me excited as I see it as one of those very unique exotic items. Would it depreciate much over time? I don't think so. Not offensively anyway.
It would certainly
...Show more

You keep mentioning the 35 1.4, are you referring to the Nikon version, or the much cheaper new Sigma 35 1.4? Incase you haven't heard, the Sigma should be able next week. You could get that, and then have even more money left over.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/898836-REG/Sigma_340306_35mm_f_1_4_DG_HSM.html

Dec 06, 2012 at 05:34 PM
shmn
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Head or heart purchasing?

Buy whatever you happen to want at the time. If you later you decide you want something else...sell it and buy something else. I did this a lot until I ended up with a kit that really suited my needs and wants (I'm still tinkering...but who isn't?).

I usually sold the lenses I bought for what I paid or a little less than I paid to move them quickly but I just considered that a "rental fee". Don't feel like you are locked into a lens because you bought it on a whim. Life is short...try out as many lenses as you can because you never really know what you might end up liking the most until you try it. Have fun with the cash!

Dec 06, 2012 at 05:42 PM
jerbear00
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Head or heart purchasing?

ct8282 wrote:
I think you're right about the gaps thing. If I went with the sensible route adding the 35f1.4 would probably negate the need for the 24-70 as I'd have the range covered with the 24, 35, 50 and 85 and those lenses are far more interesting.

That sounds nice. I love prime magic. I say you go for broke: 24L2, 35L, 50L, 85L2, 135L, 200L..... That would be living the dream

Dec 06, 2012 at 06:12 PM
huddy
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Head or heart purchasing?

Eh, It's your money. I rarely use my 180/2.8 or 300/2.8 (MF), but both lenses are magic when I use them and will hold their price. Definitely consider the lenses as an investment, and don't forget that the Sigma 35/1.4 is cheaper than the Nikon 35/1.4.

Dec 06, 2012 at 06:23 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ct8282
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Head or heart purchasing?

BenV wrote:
You keep mentioning the 35 1.4, are you referring to the Nikon version, or the much cheaper new Sigma 35 1.4? Incase you haven't heard, the Sigma should be able next week. You could get that, and then have even more money left over.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/898836-REG/Sigma_340306_35mm_f_1_4_DG_HSM.html

I would in most instances go for Nikon and avoid Sigma like the plague but this 35 does come highly rated already. They have them in stock at my local retailer at 799 compared to 1299 for the Nikon version. Could be a viable option....

Dec 06, 2012 at 06:25 PM
ct8282
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Head or heart purchasing?

jerbear00 wrote:
That sounds nice. I love prime magic. I say you go for broke: 24L2, 35L, 50L, 85L2, 135L, 200L..... That would be living the dream

Do'h. They look like Canon lenses to me

Dec 06, 2012 at 06:27 PM
Guari
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Head or heart purchasing?

Follow the gut. It's a heart thing you know?

It will make you extremely happy and it will be fulfilling. Kid in a chocolate factory kinda like.

Worst case scenario, you realize it's not a lens meant for you and not worth it. You sell it and then buy whatever else you wanted to buy...

Dec 06, 2012 at 06:38 PM
jerbear00
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Head or heart purchasing?

ct8282 wrote:
Do'h. They look like Canon lenses to me

Haha. I feel like that kid who wonders into ESPN and starts trying to talk shop without knowing what he is doing

Dec 06, 2012 at 06:40 PM
ct8282
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Head or heart purchasing?

Guari wrote:
Follow the gut. It's a heart thing you know?

It will make you extremely happy and it will be fulfilling. Kid in a chocolate factory kinda like.

Worst case scenario, you realize it's not a lens meant for you and not worth it. You sell it and then buy whatever else you wanted to buy...

Think I'm leaning this way. Especially after checking out the images online taken with the 200f2 at f2!! Different class. Yes its heavy, big and impractical but I reckon it will make me smile a whole lot more than the other route.

As you say, if I get it out of my system and decide its not for me I could always move it on and would get neough back to go the other way.

Dec 06, 2012 at 06:41 PM
ct8282
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Head or heart purchasing?

jerbear00 wrote:
Haha. I feel like that kid who wonders into ESPN and starts trying to talk shop without knowing what he is doing

Lol. I forgive you. That Canon line up would be epic. Maybe if I like the 200f2 enough I could move on the 70-200, get the 35 and just go primes all the way.

Dec 06, 2012 at 06:43 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Head or heart purchasing?

jerbear00 wrote:

It would be a dream... until the boxes arrive and you can't figure out why the lenses won't mount onto your camera

Dec 06, 2012 at 06:45 PM
Guari
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Head or heart purchasing?

ct8282 wrote:
Think I'm leaning this way. Especially after checking out the images online taken with the 200f2 at f2!! Different class. Yes its heavy, big and impractical but I reckon it will make me smile a whole lot more than the other route.

As you say, if I get it out of my system and decide its not for me I could always move it on and would get neough back to go the other way.

It's your money and everything hehe... but I can assure you one thing...

If you don't buy it and go the "sensible" route, you will always ask yourself "what if"

imo, better to have known that it didn't work and you moved on...

or better yet, you fall in love with it and keep it..

nothing too loose there but a bit of money if you resell, kind of like a rental's fee....

Dec 06, 2012 at 06:46 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Head or heart purchasing?

ct8282 wrote:
I would in most instances go for Nikon and avoid Sigma like the plague but this 35 does come highly rated already. They have them in stock at my local retailer at 799 compared to 1299 for the Nikon version. Could be a viable option....

Sigma makes some spectacular lenses for relatively cheap. The Sigma 50 (does cost a bit more than Nikon version) is nice, the 85 is simply amazing for nearly half the cost of the Nikon version, and the 35 is shaping up to be the same. Also can't forget the Sigma 150, its one of the best macro lenses available.

Dec 06, 2012 at 06:47 PM
zesto
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Head or heart purchasing?

Get the Nikon 200 f/2 and never look back. Life is short and you deserve it.

Dec 06, 2012 at 06:47 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password