Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · The-Digital-Picture 6D RAW Images

thw2
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · The-Digital-Picture 6D RAW Images

6D RAW comparison images from one of the most reliable sites: the-digital-picture-6D

Quote:
"Immediately noticeable is that the full frame sensors tested here deliver cleaner images than their smaller-sensored APS-C siblings. The Canon EOS 6D delivers noise levels similar to the smaller-sensor Canon EOS 7D and Canon EOS 60D at an ISO setting of over one stop higher. Compare the 6D's ISO 6400 to the 7D's ISO 3200 for example.

The Canon EOS 5D II is the camera that a lot of us have been waiting to compare the 6D to. In these results, it is not hard to see that the 6D indeed improves upon the long-time favorite. Up through ISO 400, it will be hard to see any difference in real-life results, but I start to see some 6D advantages starting at around ISO 800. The 6D advantage builds as the ISO setting increases. The difference becomes rather easy to see at ISO 3200 and the 6D's lead continues building until it leaves the 5D II in the dust at ISO 51200...

The 5D III is a review-time-recent release. I have two of these bodies in my kit - and love what they do for me. But, I do think that the 6D is producing less noise than even the 5D III. You won't see much difference at lower ISO settings, but somewhere around ISO 800 to 1600, I can start to see a slight difference. The difference even at very high ISO settings is not significant enough to be a differentiator in my opinion. Other features such as price and AF systems are much more significant differentiators."

Dec 06, 2012 at 08:14 AM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.1 #2 · The-Digital-Picture 6D RAW Images

Thank you.

Dec 06, 2012 at 09:53 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · The-Digital-Picture 6D RAW Images

Quote:
"Immediately noticeable is that the full frame sensors tested here deliver cleaner images than their smaller-sensored APS-C siblings. The Canon EOS 6D delivers noise levels similar to the smaller-sensor Canon EOS 7D and Canon EOS 60D at an ISO setting of over one stop higher. Compare the 6D's ISO 6400 to the 7D's ISO 3200 for example.

Well , considering according to a high majority on here that ten 7D is so noisy that its unusable at any ISO (well unusable over 400 anyway , and that the 5D2 is supposed to be over 1 stop better than the 7D

So if the 6D is 1 stop better than the 7D then its not come any further than the 5D2

Or is it that the 7D is not as noisy as those on here would have us believe

Dec 06, 2012 at 10:15 AM
coranda
• •
p.1 #4 · The-Digital-Picture 6D RAW Images

I don't find my 7D to be that noisy. It's certainly not as good as my 1DIV or 5DIII but I wouldn't say the difference was massive.

Dec 06, 2012 at 10:30 AM
fraga
• • • •
p.1 #5 · The-Digital-Picture 6D RAW Images

Thanks for the link, thw2.

As for the 7D, I've owned two and regarding noise, I found them to deliver noticeably different results.
No all sensors are created equal and I believe the 7D suffers from this more than other camera models, hence the discrepancy in opinions regarding it's performance.
Just saying...

Dec 06, 2012 at 10:59 AM
Bones74
• • •
p.1 #6 · The-Digital-Picture 6D RAW Images

fraga wrote:
Thanks for the link, thw2.

As for the 7D, I've owned two and regarding noise, I found them to deliver noticeably different results.
No all sensors are created equal and I believe the 7D suffers from this more than other camera models, hence the discrepancy in opinions regarding it's performance.
Just saying...

I had two 7D's too, I think the first "might" have had slightly better ISO performance than the second. As far as the 6D vs 7D one stop RAW advantage; that leaves me baffled. My 1Dmk4 is easily a stop (if not a stop and half) better than my 7D was at higher ISO settings (1600 and up). My 5Dmk3 to my eye at least, is a stop cleaner than my 1Dmk4. If the 6D is a little better than the 5D3 even at high ISO, then how can it only have a 1 stop advantage over the 7D? I would think the 6D at 6400 should be like the 7D around the 1600 mark.

Dec 06, 2012 at 11:18 AM
fraga
• • • •
p.1 #7 · The-Digital-Picture 6D RAW Images

Bones74 wrote:
I had two 7D's too, I think the first "might" have had slightly better ISO performance than the second.

My experience as well, as the first one (early adopter) was quite good, the second one was worse.
But in my case, noticeably.

Dec 06, 2012 at 11:48 AM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.1 #8 · The-Digital-Picture 6D RAW Images

I guess it depends on the ISO setting. To me 6Ds ISO 12800 looks impressiv better than D7s ISO 6400. I would set it a bit lower than 7Ds ISO 3200 in noise performance.
But the 6400 7D sample pic looks like out of focus to me?
In the second (texture) sample 7Ds Iso 1600 shows less noise but less detail too, compared to 6Ds ISO 25.000 (!) in my opinion, too.

Ralph

Dec 06, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Bones74
• • •
p.1 #9 · The-Digital-Picture 6D RAW Images

fraga wrote:
My experience as well, as the first one (early adopter) was quite good, the second one was worse.
But in my case, noticeably.

I was a fairly early adopter (January 2010). That 7D, like yours was the one that seemed to peform better. It was a grey import frm HK and it must have got sea sick on its way over because it's AF was only consistent in it's "randomness".

Anyway, I still find it near impossible for a 6D to have only a 1 stop high ISO performance advantage over even the best 7D copy ever produced. That doesn't sound right at all

Dec 06, 2012 at 12:36 PM
alundeb
• • • •
p.1 #10 · The-Digital-Picture 6D RAW Images

Bones74 wrote:
I was a fairly early adopter (January 2010). That 7D, like yours was the one that seemed to peform better. It was a grey import frm HK and it must have got sea sick on its way over because it's AF was only consistent in it's "randomness".

Anyway, I still find it near impossible for a 6D to have only a 1 stop high ISO performance advantage over even the best 7D copy ever produced. That doesn't sound right at all

He doesn't say "only one stop". He says "over one stop".

Dec 06, 2012 at 12:53 PM
Bones74
• • •
p.1 #11 · The-Digital-Picture 6D RAW Images

alundeb wrote:

I see, makes a lot more sense... I'm at work so have been hopping on and off the site quickly. Will have to check out TDP review during my lunch break

Dec 06, 2012 at 01:53 PM
jamesf99
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · The-Digital-Picture 6D RAW Images

alundeb wrote:

Realistically, should one expect any less? A questionable sensor that many have liked - and some hated - vs a 3-4 year newer FF sensor?

I didn't spend much time at all, but to my eyes, the 5d2 is looking *better* than the 6d at lower ISOs with less smearing (I checked up to 800). He suggests they're the same up to 400, but I'd rather deal with a little noise that I can selectively eliminate as opposed to an over all smearing.

It may be worth a little more time to verify, but then again, maybe not.

Dec 06, 2012 at 02:09 PM
Yohan Pamudji
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · The-Digital-Picture 6D RAW Images

alundeb wrote:

Judging from the samples that looks right. The 6D and 5DII/III look somewhere between 1 and 2 stops better than the 7D.

Then again these are all 100% crops from cameras with different resolutions which, while informative, don't accurately demonstrate overall image noise levels. Overall it's not going to be a huge difference though since they're all in the same ballpark resolution-wise. IMO the only comparison that might change enough to matter with normalized resolution would be 1DX (lowest resolution) vs. 5DII/III (highest)--the 1DX looks a bit better in the comparison than it would if both were at the same resolution.

Dec 06, 2012 at 02:14 PM
digitalbug30d
• • • •
p.1 #14 · The-Digital-Picture 6D RAW Images

coranda wrote:
I don't find my 7D to be that noisy. It's certainly not as good as my 1DIV or 5DIII but I wouldn't say the difference was massive.

don't know with it shut off its pretty quiet..

Nov 08, 2013 at 09:29 AM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.1 #15 · The-Digital-Picture 6D RAW Images

Bones74 wrote:
I had two 7D's too, I think the first "might" have had slightly better ISO performance than the second. As far as the 6D vs 7D one stop RAW advantage; that leaves me baffled. My 1Dmk4 is easily a stop (if not a stop and half) better than my 7D was at higher ISO settings (1600 and up). My 5Dmk3 to my eye at least, is a stop cleaner than my 1Dmk4. If the 6D is a little better than the 5D3 even at high ISO, then how can it only have a 1 stop advantage over the 7D? I
...Show more

You are correct and more in line with my findings also.

On the 7D my absolute max iso is 1600 and on the 5D3 it is about 6400. That is for professional work in low light conditions (mixed lighting) mainly during the filming of commercials and movies (I work as a unit stills photographer sometimes). In fact I have only used a 7D twice as backup only and as an additional camera. It is really a pretty mediocre sensor in bad light. It is not part of my tools (several of my assistants have them). Even in good light the shadows are not that good.

Nov 08, 2013 at 01:03 PM
cputeq
• • • •
p.1 #16 · The-Digital-Picture 6D RAW Images

How do you guys find these nearly one-year-old threads to comment on?

Nov 08, 2013 at 01:08 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password