Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Nikon 1 vs Panasonic G3

CanonGolfGuy
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Nikon 1 vs Panasonic G3

So both are the same price, both have an EVF, and both seem to have pretty good IQ. I need a smaller camera for travel when I don't want to take the D800 and large lenses. I'm attracted to the Nikon AF, but I probably won't shoot things moving at high speed. The Panasonic has more lenses, so that's a plus. Really I just don't know which way to go. Any help is appreciated.

Dec 06, 2012 at 04:03 AM
curious80
• • •
p.1 #2 · Nikon 1 vs Panasonic G3

G3 has a larger sensor so better low light performance and creative DOF control. Also it has a much wider set of lenses available and AF is very fast in single shot AF mode.

Nikon 1 has an edge in tracking AF but then I doubt if you will be using that camera to shoot sports. Other interesting Nikon 1 features include 60FPS shooting mode and ability to AF with your Nikon lenses using an adapter. In general m43 cameras including G3 are an easy recommendation over Nikon 1 unless one of these factors that I just mentioned is important to you.

Dec 06, 2012 at 04:24 AM
CanonGolfGuy
• •
p.1 #3 · Nikon 1 vs Panasonic G3

That was kind of my thinking as well. I can use an adapter on the Panasonic and use my MF lenses on it. I don't need the AF really. I'll be taking vacation/honeymoon pics with it. Some landscapes and fiancée shots will be all I really want it for.

Dec 06, 2012 at 05:43 AM
lou f
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Nikon 1 vs Panasonic G3

you best bet is to walk into a shop and try them both, if you dont need the killer AF of the nikon then the pany might be a better option.

Dec 12, 2012 at 02:37 PM
dgdg
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Nikon 1 vs Panasonic G3

G3 has very nice noise performance for a small package. I have not used the Nikon.
Some things I note from a year of use-
It is a relative bargin when purchased used.
It goes in a jacket pocket or small fanny pack. It does not go in a regular pocket.
You will not have have the equivalent of ai servo unless your lens has image stabilization (the 20mm pancake does not). However you can have it track an object in the frame if you get it to lock on. This is nice for faces that move like toddlers or candids and mitigates the lack of an AI servo with the 20mm pancake.
Face detection is great for when others take a photograph of you and don't know how to focus.
Writing a raw image to the memory card is slow and you have to wait on that before the next click. Shutter lag is mildly slow. Hence, if you are trying to catch a transient smile or part of action it can be frustrating.
I think if it were not for the 20mm pancake, I'd have never purchased this as my sidekick where it proves very useful for family photos when I have a specialty lens on the 5D. You just can't take a good family photo with a 400mm lens. Anything bigger than that and I might as well take my 5D and 50mm 1.8.
I need the OVF and did not want to pay extra for the GX1 with OVF which becomes about the same size at that point.
I used to take my G3 out more by itself, but I tend more and more to just grab the 5D and 50mm 1.8.
If you are not needing super low light performance from a fast lens, have you considered the RX100? It is pricier as newly released, but apparently shirt pocketable.

Dec 12, 2012 at 05:29 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password