New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Fuji XE-1 low hum???

stompyq
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Fuji XE-1 low hum???

Got my XE-1 yesterday with the 18-55mm zoom (the zoom seems awesome). One thing I noticed, and I don't know if this is normal is a low hum that comes from the camera when it's on. Is this normal? I have IS turned off but still get it. It worries me a little since none of my other cameras seem to exhibit this. Not sure if this is a general thing with csc cam,eras? I had a Fuji x100 a while back and have a oly epm-1 but neither of them exhibited this behavior. Should I return the camera??

The hum is very low and i hear it in a silent room when i have the camera up to my eye. It also goes away completely when i press the playback button. Just to be clear you have to hold the camera right up to your ear to hear the low hum. Would appreciate it if some one confirmed. Really don't want to go through the hassle of returns.

Dec 05, 2012 at 09:44 PM
jonrock
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Fuji XE-1 low hum???

I don't have a hum in my Sony Nex 5N. There were some people complaining before about a humming sound in the Olympus OM-D but that was just the IBIS working in the camera (maybe Fuji put in IBIS without saying it ) . If others don't seem to be reporting the problem, I would probably play it safe and return the camera for a replacement.

Dec 05, 2012 at 10:13 PM
stompyq
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Fuji XE-1 low hum???

jonrock wrote:
I don't have a hum in my Sony Nex 5N. There were some people complaining before about a humming sound in the Olympus OM-D but that was just the IBIS working in the camera (maybe Fuji put in IBIS without saying it ) . If others don't seem to be reporting the problem, I would probably play it safe and return the camera for a replacement.

Thanks. I did some more "experimentation" to figure out whats going on. If I remove the zoom and then turn the camera on (minus lens) there is no hum. Nothing. Now put the lens on and turn the camera on the hum is back. All the while the IS on the zoom is off. What is going on? Is there some low level IS going on even if it's disabled on the lens? I don't have any other lenses so can't try this with a different lens.

Dec 05, 2012 at 10:42 PM
Brody LeBlanc
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Fuji XE-1 low hum???

You have too much time on your hands.

Dec 06, 2012 at 04:27 AM
stompyq
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Fuji XE-1 low hum???

Brody LeBlanc wrote:

Haha I wish. Just careful with what I do thats all. The Xe-1 isn't really chump change for me

Dec 06, 2012 at 07:12 AM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Fuji XE-1 low hum???

Brody LeBlanc wrote:

Actually, it is you who are wasting time.

Dec 06, 2012 at 07:43 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Fuji XE-1 low hum???

It could be that the stabilised group in the lens is floating free when the lens is not active, and so even when it isn't stabilising, it needs to be working to point straight. This is not uncommon. In some lenses, it flaps and rattles around when the camera is off!

Dec 06, 2012 at 08:22 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Fuji XE-1 low hum???

I think all of my SLR's produce a very, very low hum of sorts that you can hear if you are in a silent room and with the camera to your ear, turned on. It's an electronic device, so I assumed normal. Only a trained ear could hear it though ;-). And you can't hear it unless you put it to your ear... what you really need is some other XE-1 users to chime in, but I'm not sure how many we have here just yet ?

Dec 06, 2012 at 09:15 AM
bigkidneys
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Fuji XE-1 low hum???

stompyq wrote:
Haha I wish. Just careful with what I do thats all. The Xe-1 isn't really chump change for me

I wouldn't worry about it as the minute we bought them, the resale price dropped to half so no matter what you do to it we are still screwed It doesn't bother me though as I love the Jpegs I get from it and when good raw support comes about (if it does), resale prices will go back up and you'll likely see a ton of Fuji X haters all jump on the bandwagon. Some have said they hear a humm but when the OS is on so that is odd when you have it disengaged. Maybe it's just the angelic humm coming from the AA less sensor

Dec 06, 2012 at 09:32 AM
stompyq
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Fuji XE-1 low hum???

ricardovaste wrote:
I think all of my SLR's produce a very, very low hum of sorts that you can hear if you are in a silent room and with the camera to your ear, turned on. It's an electronic device, so I assumed normal. Only a trained ear could hear it though ;-). And you can't hear it unless you put it to your ear... what you really need is some other XE-1 users to chime in, but I'm not sure how many we have here just yet ?

Maybe... I do tend to be fairly sensitive to noise (my desktop is almost completely silent).

Dec 06, 2012 at 10:21 AM
dannywkyang

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Fuji XE-1 low hum???

I have a X-E1 with the 35 1.4 and I suspect it's the OIS on your 18-55. The fact that you don't get the hum when you don't have the 18-55 attached means it's definitely something with the lens itself that's causing the hum. Depending on how they implemented their OIS, it may actually be in a 'ready' mode even though you have the switch off.

I had a Sigma 17-70 on my Nikon D7000 that also had a hum, even though OS was off. And it would make a click each time I turned off my camera (I suspect it's the floating element).

Dec 06, 2012 at 12:17 PM
jonrock
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Fuji XE-1 low hum???

It might be as others are saying. The hum might be coming from the I.S. even though it's disabled. I think there was a hum from the IBIS in the OM-D even if it was disabled in the camera.

Dec 07, 2012 at 08:18 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.