New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Christmas Card & Bottles

oldrattler
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Christmas Card & Bottles

Image one is the Christmas card we are sending out. The second is the image I posted in this month's assignment, "Bottles" Would love to get you opinions on each. Also, I tend to prefer a dark, contrast image. What do you prefer?

Christmas Wish

Compendium

Dec 05, 2012 at 03:32 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Christmas Card & Bottles

Both are clever and well done. The bottles make me chuckle.

Dec 05, 2012 at 03:58 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Christmas Card & Bottles

ben egbert wrote:
Both are clever and well done. The bottles make me chuckle.

Thank you Ben..

Dec 05, 2012 at 06:15 PM
gneto
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Christmas Card & Bottles

My $0.02.

Very nice concepts for both images.

Perhaps the first image could be a little less warm? It also feels underexposed to me; I believe you can make the image look "dark" and not feel underexposed, probably by tweaking exposure until the paper with the poem looks bright. I like the composition, but feel like it still could be improved some more... perhaps cropping some of the top? Perhaps if the rightmost bottle was a little "lower" and formed a triangle with the other bottel and the paper?... Can't really tell. Might be just the lack of sleep.

The second image would really benefit from not being front-lit; if all you've got is the on-camera flash, you can always use a small mirror to deflect it towards a wall. Doesn't seem to be the case, however; light seems to be coming from higher than camera level. If you really want the front lighting, and the light is off-camera, perhaps put the light further away to even the exposure across all the bottles? I really like the concept of the image, but don't feel like the composition is doing it justice. Around here we can find smaller bottles of Johnnie Walker, I guess it would give you more options with composition.

Dec 05, 2012 at 09:27 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Christmas Card & Bottles

gneto wrote:
My $0.02.

Very nice concepts for both images.

Perhaps the first image could be a little less warm? It also feels underexposed to me; I believe you can make the image look "dark" and not feel underexposed, probably by tweaking exposure until the paper with the poem looks bright. I like the composition, but feel like it still could be improved some more... perhaps cropping some of the top? Perhaps if the rightmost bottle was a little "lower" and formed a triangle with the other bottel and the paper?... Can't really tell. Might be just the lack of sleep.

The second image
...Show more

Thank you so much for the feedback. Image one does appear warm, but as I brightened and cooled it seemed to lose interest. these are actually miniature bottles that are not over 2" tall. Image one was light-painted with a pin-light. Image two was shot with a 580 flash positioned high right. I tried backlight but it left glare. Bounced light took on a yellow tint (Wall Color) and my strobes are packed away. Good news is I can try again after we complete our move.. Jim

Dec 05, 2012 at 10:39 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Christmas Card & Bottles

The first makes me smack my lips and try to imaging what the contents of the first bottle might be like.

Dec 05, 2012 at 11:34 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Christmas Card & Bottles

Diggin' the card and comp ... much goodness both in image and spirit(s).

Maybe something mono ...

Maybe something gradient ... to coordinate with the timeline @ fade to black, or the graying process. The bottles seem to have some issues @ vertical / not vertical ... kind of a mixed bag to correct for.

Dec 06, 2012 at 12:31 AM
Mister Bean
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Christmas Card & Bottles

I like the first one quite a bit. Good composition, lighting and color. And even more importantly, it does a good job of expressing the holiday message, even without reading the contents of the card.

The second, I'm afraid, does nothing for me. There's the contrast between the two kinds of bottles of course, but I'm not getting much of a message from the photo as a whole. The composition seems very static and staged. And the lighting isn't great.

I would consider submitting the first one for the monthly assignment.

Dec 06, 2012 at 02:25 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Christmas Card & Bottles

AuntiPode wrote:
The first makes me smack my lips and try to imaging what the contents of the first bottle might be like.

Thank you for the comments. The first bottle contained Honey Wine, in 1965. Jim

Dec 06, 2012 at 05:49 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Christmas Card & Bottles

RustyBug wrote:
Diggin' the card and comp ... much goodness both in image and spirit(s).

Maybe something mono ...

Maybe something gradient ... to coordinate with the timeline @ fade to black, or the graying process. The bottles seem to have some issues @ vertical / not vertical ... kind of a mixed bag to correct for.

Kent; I really like your reworks. Thank you, Jim

Dec 06, 2012 at 05:52 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Christmas Card & Bottles

Mister Bean wrote:
I like the first one quite a bit. Good composition, lighting and color. And even more importantly, it does a good job of expressing the holiday message, even without reading the contents of the card.

The second, I'm afraid, does nothing for me. There's the contrast between the two kinds of bottles of course, but I'm not getting much of a message from the photo as a whole. The composition seems very static and staged. And the lighting isn't great.

I would consider submitting the first one for the monthly assignment.

Mr. Bean; thank you. I am thankful you like #1. And thank you for your comments on #2. My intent was to show a synopsis of life, in a humorist vein. I was going for birth to death but did not have an urn. You comments are always welcomed. Jim

Dec 06, 2012 at 05:59 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Christmas Card & Bottles

Thanks, glad you like it.

oldrattler wrote:
I was going for birth to death but did not have an urn.

It took me a bit to see that, but I did come to "get it" ... it just wasn't readily evident (to me at least).

+1 @ Mr. Beans point's @ comp and lighting, etc. Once, I did "get it" I tried to use the gradient to augment/highlight the "progression".

+1 @ the first one being preferable for submission ... although, I think it is a bit too warm that is suggestive of cast issues. Might be something to consider (or not).

Maybe if the second one had a title that contained the word "Life" ... i.e. "Bottles of Life", "Containing Life", or maybe even "Progression", etc. ... just something other than implying them as merely a collection @ "Compendium" could help plant the seed for the viewer to "get it" a bit more readily.

Dec 06, 2012 at 08:12 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Christmas Card & Bottles

RustyBug wrote:
Thanks, glad you like it.

It took me a bit to see that, but I did come to "get it" ... it just wasn't readily evident (to me at least).

+1 @ Mr. Beans point's @ comp and lighting, etc. Once, I did "get it" I tried to use the gradient to augment/highlight the "progression".

+1 @ the first one being preferable for submission ... although, I think it is a bit too warm that is suggestive of cast issues. Might be something to consider (or not).

Maybe if the second one had a title that contained the word "Life" ... i.e.
...Show more

Thanks Kent. I changed the name and entered the image to protect the innocent. I chose not to enter the first out of the "law of diminishing return". My wife preferred the second. Thank you, Jim

Dec 08, 2012 at 08:45 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.