Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       end
  

Archive 2012 · just some daydreaming
  
 
Kerry Pierce
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · just some daydreaming


I'm not looking to upset anyone or impugn their choices of camera. I believe that both the d800 and d600 are fine cameras. They just don't appeal to me. I already own some very fine Nikon's and don't really "need" a new camera. But, I got to daydreaming and thinking that there are a couple of cameras that I'd like to have.

First, I'd love to have a high ISO d300 replacement. The d300 is a great camera, but the sensor is outclassed by any of the current DX sensors. I'd buy a d400 with a 16mp sensor that was tweaked for the best noise performance they can get from a DX sensor, especially at high ISO. Of course, I'd want all of the high performance features of the d300s, plus a shutter curtain. I'd happily pay around $1800 for one.

Second, I'd love to have a good replacement for the d700. The 24mp sensor in the d600 seems to be a good one, so put that in the d800 body with all of the high performance features that the d700 had. I don't know how fast they can move 24mps, but I'd like a minimum of 6fps, preferably 8fps. I'd happily pay around $2800 for one.

For clarification, both bodies must have the new multi-cam 3500, preferably without any issues.

As I said, these are just daydreams. I'm not trying to predict anything or make any claims as to what Nikon will or won't do. These are just my thoughts on a couple of cameras with features that would greatly appeal to me. Your thoughts and comments are welcome.

thanks
Kerry



Dec 05, 2012 at 07:51 PM
Dustin Gent
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · just some daydreaming


Since we are dreaming here , I'd like a Leica S2 and reshoot everything I have ever shot


Dec 05, 2012 at 08:05 PM
Danner
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · just some daydreaming


I'm kind of with you on this. I have shot with a D700 since 2009. Personally, I consider the D600 a downgrade from the D700. The D800 would be an upgrade, but for $3000 (versus about $1600 for a clean used D700), I have not been seriously tempted.

YMMV.



Dec 05, 2012 at 08:07 PM
NickHenderson
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · just some daydreaming


I want a 20-200 f/4 VR lens that's under 2 lbs.


Dec 05, 2012 at 08:34 PM
BenV
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · just some daydreaming


Realistically, I wouldn't buy either. I voted for the D700 MK2, but I don't have much need. The only camera I would consider replacing my D3 with is a D4. And if I had spare money I'd invest in a D800 for the 36mp for vacation landscape photos.


Dec 05, 2012 at 08:57 PM
LMT1972
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · just some daydreaming


I would buy a D400 with a 16mp DX sensor, though 24mp is pretty well guaranteed for the D400 which is probably still 6 months away. I will be very interested to see the sensor performance of the D7000 replacement and if there is any improvement over the D5200. I would also consider a 24mp FX body that does 8fps, but not at that price point.

Cheers
Leigh



Dec 05, 2012 at 09:02 PM
davidnholtjr
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · just some daydreaming


Kerry Pierce wrote:
I'm not looking to upset anyone or impugn their choices of camera. I believe that both the d800 and d600 are fine cameras. They just don't appeal to me. I already own some very fine Nikon's and don't really "need" a new camera. But, I got to daydreaming and thinking that there are a couple of cameras that I'd like to have.

First, I'd love to have a high ISO d300 replacement. The d300 is a great camera, but the sensor is outclassed by any of the current DX sensors. I'd buy a d400 with a 16mp sensor that
...Show more


I like both of your picks. But my D700 MkII would have the 16MP D4 sensor in it. IMO, 16MP is a good up grade from the 12MP sensors. I for one have no need for the 24/36MP sensors.



Dec 05, 2012 at 09:06 PM
2of9
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · just some daydreaming


D700 MkII? doesn't Canon carry the 'mark' xx series? . good thing it is a dream. But if the D700X came out, with AF of the D800 and the sensor of the D600, i would purchase it...and since we're dreaming here...20-200 VR2 f/1.8 would be sweet.


Dec 05, 2012 at 09:13 PM
Kerry Pierce
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · just some daydreaming


Thanks for the comments, guys. Some are very interesting and some are surprising to me.

David, I agree with your desire for the 16mp FX sensor, but I'm afraid that cat is already out of the bag. From what I've seen so far, the d600's sensor has excellent noise performance, so I'd guess that it will be the standard for low MP FX.

I'm way out in the minority on MPs though, I guess. I'd much prefer a really clean 10 or 12mp DX camera than a 24mp noisebox. I have a ton of 12x18 prints from the d70 and d200 that look fine to me. I can't see any difference with 12x18 prints from my 16mp d7000. So, I'm hoping that the d400 has a tweaked d7000 sensor, rather than a new 24mp sensor. I don't believe that the 24mp DX sensor will have the noise performance one could get from a 16mp DX sensor.

But, I'm afraid that is just more day dreaming. Nikon will do what they want to do. :-)

thanks
Kerry



Dec 05, 2012 at 10:34 PM
georgms
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · just some daydreaming


For shooting sports I would like to see a beefed-up DX body: built to last and fast, with good high-ISO-cababilities (imagine a D2 with a D7000-sensor, Live-View and improved AF).
I still have a D700 and a D3s and happy with both cameras as my everyday workhorses.



Dec 05, 2012 at 10:54 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



Andre Labonte
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · just some daydreaming


D400! D400! D400! D400! D400! D400! D400! D400! D400! D400!


Dec 05, 2012 at 10:59 PM
DontShoot
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · just some daydreaming


Neither. I want a 180mm 2.8 AF-S G VRII


Dec 05, 2012 at 10:59 PM
davidnholtjr
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · just some daydreaming


Kerry Pierce wrote:
Thanks for the comments, guys. Some are very interesting and some are surprising to me.

David, I agree with your desire for the 16mp FX sensor, but I'm afraid that cat is already out of the bag. From what I've seen so far, the d600's sensor has excellent noise performance, so I'd guess that it will be the standard for low MP FX.

I'm way out in the minority on MPs though, I guess. I'd much prefer a really clean 10 or 12mp DX camera than a 24mp noisebox. I have a ton of 12x18 prints from the d70
...Show more



I to would not mind a supped up 12mp sensor with very high clean ISO. But the problem is, 99% of people have think the higher the MP the better/cooler a camera is.

A D400 with a 16mp sensor would be great, but with rumors of a 21mp 7D MkII going around it's safe to say any D400 will be 24mp.





Dec 05, 2012 at 11:00 PM
Kerry Pierce
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · just some daydreaming


davidnholtjr wrote:
I to would not mind a supped up 12mp sensor with very high clean ISO. But the problem is, 99% of people have think the higher the MP the better/cooler a camera is.

A D400 with a 16mp sensor would be great, but with rumors of a 21mp 7D MkII going around it's safe to say any D400 will be 24mp.


I hear ya and agree completely.

Personally, I think that I'd be very happy with DX sensors cut out of the wafers used to make the d600 sensor. IIRC, that's about 10mp, but with noise/DR performance at/near d3s levels. Would I be happy with a 10mp d400 to pair with my d3s? Hell yes I would! As they say back home, I'd be in hog heaven.

But, that's beyond day dreaming, that's in the realm of distorted reality from smokin dope.

As a side note, the poll numbers are very interesting. Thanks to all that took the time to vote! Much appreciated.

thanks
Kerry



Dec 05, 2012 at 11:16 PM
Kerry Pierce
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · just some daydreaming


Andre Labonte wrote:
D400! D400! D400! D400! D400! D400! D400! D400! D400! D400!


What a surprise...

Kerry



Dec 05, 2012 at 11:19 PM
Wes Bailey
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · just some daydreaming


davidnholtjr wrote:
I like both of your picks. But my D700 MkII would have the 16MP D4 sensor in it. IMO, 16MP is a good up grade from the 12MP sensors. I for one have no need for the 24/36MP sensors.



Although I just purchased an almost new used D700 -this is what I'd go for - take the D700 and drop in the D4 sensor.



Dec 05, 2012 at 11:51 PM
Andre Labonte
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · just some daydreaming


Kerry Pierce wrote:
What a surprise...

Kerry



I know, rather predictable, but this D300 I shoot (and love) is getting long in tooth. What would be nice is if with this 16MP DX high ISO speed demon you describe they would release the perfect DX portrait lens:

55 f/1.2 AFS VR




Dec 06, 2012 at 12:42 AM
EB-1
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · just some daydreaming


I want a D400 and a D4x.

EBH



Dec 06, 2012 at 01:48 AM
fsiagian
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · just some daydreaming


D700 MII but at $2250


Dec 06, 2012 at 01:53 AM
fsiagian
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · just some daydreaming


And 105mm & 135mm F2 AFS VR APO


Dec 06, 2012 at 01:54 AM
1
       2       end




FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password