Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Starting over ?

hatch1921
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Starting over ?

A very long story short... about a year or so ago I sold everything camera related, closed shop and went back to school.

Fast forward to now... and I'm starting over. (finally)

Just placed an order for....

5D3
Canon 40mm pancake
Sig 50mm
Sig 85mm
Sig 150mm macro

and various other things help out.

I've owned the Sig 50mm in the past... loved it...it was great ... not great wide open with the copy I had, but it really shined from F/2.0 on. I was shooting the 5D2 at the time.

I purchased the Sig 85 mm F/1.4 and my copy was a dud... erratic focusing issues... sent it back.. and purchased the 85L MK2 and WOW!

I'm hoping the new Sig 85 will be a winner. I've seen stellar shots with the lens.. I know it can produce.

I've never owned the Sig 150mm macro but I have owned the Sig 180mm macro and LOVED THE LENS. I have high expectations for the Sig 150.

The Canon 40mm ... looks like it will be a fun lens to shoot.

---------------------------------------------------
5D3 owners... your thoughts on the improvements over the 5D2 if you've owned the5D2?
Sig 85 owners... possibly shooting on the 5D3... any issues? Do you love it?
Sig 150mm owners.... how does the lens perform?

Looking forward to submitting on the site again... it's been an interesting journey... can't wait for Friday.

Thanks,
Hatch

Dec 05, 2012 at 07:15 PM
jojomon11
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Starting over ?

5D3 owners... your thoughts on the improvements over the 5D2 if you've owned the5D2?

AF and Hi iso huge improvements

Sig 85 owners... possibly shooting on the 5D3... any issues? Do you love it?

Make sure you buy one that can be returned if its a dud for another copy, or go to your local store and try before you buy. Inconsistent copies very soft wide open to sharp

If you buy a sigma on FM, makes sure you request a 3 day decision period! I have gone through the "it was sharp on my camera, maybe it's your camera" excuse!

Dec 06, 2012 at 01:52 AM
vchowdhary
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Starting over ?

Honestly if you aren't doing very AF intensive activities. I see hardly any major reasons to shift to the 5d mark III.
Love the dual cards and the firmer build. The AF definitely is much improved. But I've got the 35, 85 and 70-200 and don't see for most daily activities like portraits and street shots how the 5d 3 is significantly better.

Have used the sigma 85 and its an excellent lens. Not comparable to the look from the 85L but for the price an excellent value.

I would get the sig 35, and 85 and 5d 2.

Dec 06, 2012 at 02:20 AM
anthonygh
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Starting over ?

Starting over...for what? Apart from spraying money around?

Are you an outstanding photographer but now held back from great things by poor Canon kit?

Dec 06, 2012 at 02:44 AM
hatch1921
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Starting over ?

Thank you comments. Jojomon11 I will return the Sig 85 if it isn't up to par.

@ Vchowdhary I had and loved the 85L MK2 ... hoping the Sig is close

@anthonygh I've read your comments a few times to see if I'm just taking them the wrong way. Nope... I think you're being an asshole. Did you read the 1st line in my post? I sold off all my gear... closed my business.... that part? It wasn't because I had money to burn or to "spray around" and you put it and life was peachy. I had to sell off everything and head a different direction in life. I'm just now back in a good place where I'm very thankful to be able to purchase the gear listed above.

I think I'm a strong photographer... with Canon, Sigma, Nikon or any other kit... has nothing to do with my gear not performing. It's not having any gear and buying what I can afford in my budget and making choices which fit me.

Are you just one of those guys who has to shit on others happiness? Can't believe I've even replied to your troll comments.

To the rest of you... thank you for taking the time to give feedback on the questions I asked. Again, I do appreciate the input.

Hatch

Dec 06, 2012 at 03:05 AM
bigbluebear
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Starting over ?

Hello,

I've used the pancake and enjoy it. However I think if you are trying to have a smallish system, you'd need a smaller body like a t3i. The pancake on a 5D is still hefty to carry around IMO.

Since your already getting the sigma 50mm, I'd recommend not getting the pancake and instead get a 35mm f/2 to get a bit more separation in your primes.

Dec 06, 2012 at 03:55 AM
hatch1921
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Starting over ?

datousteve wrote:
Hello,

I've used the pancake and enjoy it. However I think if you are trying to have a smallish system, you'd need a smaller body like a t3i. The pancake on a 5D is still hefty to carry around IMO.

Since your already getting the sigma 50mm, I'd recommend not getting the pancake and instead get a 35mm f/2 to get a bit more separation in your primes.

Many thanks even with the 50mm I couldn't pass up the 40mm at the price..looks like a lens cap... can't be very heavy with the 5D3 and a grip... I would think I won't even know it's there... could be wrong... looking to rebuild my original kit... this is just a start.

Thanks,
Hatch

Dec 06, 2012 at 05:08 AM
robbymack
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Starting over ?

so you went back to school...and learned nothing in the process...goodness what ever would convince you leaving school and getting back to the real world is a good idea?

ok I jest, welcome back, looks like you have a great start. I agree about the pancake, for the price why not have it. I am sure you'll find the third party lens haters out there, I am not one of them, happy owner of a tamron 24-70. Curious though what you like to shoot?

Dec 06, 2012 at 06:37 AM
hatch1921
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Starting over ?

robbymack wrote:
so you went back to school...and learned nothing in the process...goodness what ever would convince you leaving school and getting back to the real world is a good idea?

ok I jest, welcome back, looks like you have a great start. I agree about the pancake, for the price why not have it. I am sure you'll find the third party lens haters out there, I am not one of them, happy owner of a tamron 24-70. Curious though what you like to shoot?

well... after 20 years in the Air Force.. it was time for career #2 which I thought was going to be photography.... as I had the business going for almost 5 years... but... things happen... life happens... had to make some serious changes. So... career #3 is what has me back in school full time.

I've owned a number of lenses... Canon/Sigma "Ls" non "Ls' and at the end of the day... I've enjoyed both Canon and Sigma. No bias... but I will have my 135L back ... and I'm sure at some point the 85L... but... if the I can get a good copy of the Sig 85... I might not go back. This is the starter kit... or "come back" kit if you will. Just excited as I haven't shot in over a year.

My sites... http://www.frankhatcher.com and http://www.hatch1921.com to answer what I shoot

Dec 06, 2012 at 07:05 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Bruce Sawle
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Starting over ?

Good to see your back. I'm sure you will love your new kit. I'm a huge fan of Sigma glass and currently shoot with the 50 and 85 on my Nikon equipment. No issues for me with any Sigma lens I have owned Canon mount or Nikon.

Dec 06, 2012 at 08:14 AM
shoenberg3
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Starting over ?

that seems like a good kit but if i were in your shoes, i might forego the 40mm stm and sigma 50mm (although i own the latter and love it) and purchase the recently released sigma 35 1.4.

i dont think 35mm to 85mm gap is too much.

Dec 06, 2012 at 09:01 AM
hatch1921
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Starting over ?

Bruce Sawle wrote:
Good to see your back. I'm sure you will love your new kit. I'm a huge fan of Sigma glass and currently shoot with the 50 and 85 on my Nikon equipment. No issues for me with any Sigma lens I have owned Canon mount or Nikon.

Thank you Good to hear you haven't had any issues with the lenses. Looking forward to testing everything this weekend.

Thanks again,
Frank

Dec 06, 2012 at 04:23 PM
hatch1921
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Starting over ?

shoenberg3 wrote:
that seems like a good kit but if i were in your shoes, i might forego the 40mm stm and sigma 50mm (although i own the latter and love it) and purchase the recently released sigma 35 1.4.

i dont think 35mm to 85mm gap is too much.

I had thought about passing on the 40,50 but I really enjoyed the Sig 50 when I had it the 1st time around. I've owned the 35L and didn't use it nearly as much as the 50mm. The new Sig 35 looks to be a real winner....lots of positive feedback from what I've read.

The 40mm... well... it was an add-on if you will... for the price... couldn't pass it up.

Hatch

Dec 06, 2012 at 04:26 PM
M Vers
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Starting over ?

hatch1921 wrote:

Vast improvements over the 5DII in regards to handling and AF, but I miss the old AF point confirmation process. Canon truly dropped the ball with the side-lit LED implementation and dark AF points.

Sig 150mm owners.... how does the lens perform?

Can't say enough about this lens. For macro purposes it's highly versatile. AF isn't the quickest/most accurate in the world, but it works well as a standard tele too.

Dec 06, 2012 at 04:50 PM
StarNut
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Starting over ?

If money is a serious issue, I would look long and hard before buying a 5d3 rather than a 5d2, unless the frame rate and improved AF are very important to you.

I upgraded from a 5d2 to a 5d3 (upgrade cost $1900, after selling the 5d2), and I've never regretted it. But if that sort of difference comes dear to you, I would seriously consider a 5d2 instead of a 5d3. I don't know that, in the real world, you'll notice an IQ difference between the two, and the 5d2 center point provides excellent AF in most circumstances.

As for lenses, I'd prefer the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 (I had one for many years, and loved it) over the 85/150. For macro, an extension tube does well. But I vastly prefer zooms to primes for my uses; YMMV.

Dec 07, 2012 at 04:42 PM
hatch1921
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Starting over ?

M Vers wrote:
Vast improvements over the 5DII in regards to handling and AF, but I miss the old AF point confirmation process. Canon truly dropped the ball with the side-lit LED implementation and dark AF points.

Can't say enough about this lens. For macro purposes it's highly versatile. AF isn't the quickest/most accurate in the world, but it works well as a standard tele too.

Many thanks! As a fan of your macro work, I'm really looking forward to the Sig 150 Strange Canon would leave out the AF point confirmation. Hmmm The gear arrives this evening... should be fun.

Thanks for the comments.
Hatch

Dec 07, 2012 at 05:33 PM
hatch1921
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Starting over ?

StarNut wrote:
If money is a serious issue, I would look long and hard before buying a 5d3 rather than a 5d2, unless the frame rate and improved AF are very important to you.

I upgraded from a 5d2 to a 5d3 (upgrade cost $1900, after selling the 5d2), and I've never regretted it. But if that sort of difference comes dear to you, I would seriously consider a 5d2 instead of a 5d3. I don't know that, in the real world, you'll notice an IQ difference between the two, and the 5d2 center point provides excellent AF in most circumstances.

As for lenses,
...Show more

I enjoyed the 5D2 and making the jump to the 5D3 wasn't an easy decision. I want or wanted better AF performance out of the 5D2 and this was one of the factors which leaned me more towards the 5D3. I'm not expecting the image quality to be different... I've loved the 5D series and I have a feeling the 5D3 will be a winner as well.

I went from a mix of zooms and primes to all primes for the reasons stated above. I'm going back to primes again. That doesn't mean I'm ruling out zooms at all. From what I have seen.. the new 70-200 is a stunner of a lens.

Thanks for the comments.
Hatch

Dec 07, 2012 at 05:36 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password