Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · No tripod detection on Canon lenses?

Frank35440

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · No tripod detection on Canon lenses?

There are many reports about an automatic tripod detection of Canon lenses out there on the internet. On the German Canon homepage it is even mentioned (but just) for the Canon 15-85 IS.

But it is not mentioned in the user manuals of my lenses with IS (nor it is mentioned on the Canon homepage for other lenses). The user manual of my 15-85 says just: When you use a tripod, the Image Stabilizer should be turned off to save battery power. Is`t that bullshit ... battery power?

The user manual of my 70-300L even says: Using a tripod also stabilizes the image. However, depending on the kind of tripod and shooting conditions, sometimes it may be better to turn off the Image Stabilizer function.

Does anybody know why the Canon tripod detection disappeared? Or was it just a marketing trick in the past?

Dec 05, 2012 at 12:45 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · No tripod detection on Canon lenses?

Except for the first generation of IS, which was built into the (original) 75-300mm, 100-400mm, 300mm f/4.0 IS (there could be more, one or two more lenses but that's all I remember off the top of my head), all Canon lenses will detect whether a tripod is used or not. In newer lenses, it is pretty much taken for granted.... not that it disappeared. Whether you want to turn it off or on using more recent lenses on a tripod is up to you and yes, it uses more power but frankly, no big deal. Unless using any of those lenses, which I sold long time ago, I leave the IS on all the time and so far, I have not seen any ill effect.

Dec 05, 2012 at 01:15 PM
SteveP
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · No tripod detection on Canon lenses?

That can be important, because sometimes, despite the use of a tripod, there may be enough movement of the lens that would benefit from the use of IS. It would be really nice for the camera to determine this rather than the photographer trying to determine when IS should be on and when it should be off.

Dec 05, 2012 at 01:52 PM
matt4626
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · No tripod detection on Canon lenses?

28-135 had first generation ID too.

Dec 05, 2012 at 02:06 PM
John_T
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · No tripod detection on Canon lenses?

I just put all that info in this thread:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1170489

Dec 05, 2012 at 04:12 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · No tripod detection on Canon lenses?

I have a 15-85 and the tripod detection doesn't work worth a darn. In fact, the IS function totally screws up most of the images if left engaged. Hand held, IS works great, yielding about 3 stops.

Dec 05, 2012 at 04:39 PM
Massimo Foti
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · No tripod detection on Canon lenses?

You are not the first I hear reporting poor tripod detection on 15-85.

Dec 05, 2012 at 05:09 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · No tripod detection on Canon lenses?

My rule for tripod mounted telephoto lenses: if the image is steady enough in VF for the range of shutter speed values used, then IS remains off. If there is a wiggle to be seen in the VF (wind being the primary culprit here), then IS is turned on.

In other words, I give no credit to the lens tripod detection feature, and instead, I go by my own eyeballing of image blur causing shake.

Dec 05, 2012 at 05:52 PM
WilliamG
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · No tripod detection on Canon lenses?

I had a disastrous time with IS on my 24-105L + tripod. I was doing some neutral density filter 2 second shots of a waterfall. Thankfully I noticed that IS was on before I packed up, as I had to redo EVERY SINGLE photo I had taken, with IS turned off. The photos with IS off thankfully looked wonderful. The IS-on shots were unusable.

Dec 05, 2012 at 07:01 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · No tripod detection on Canon lenses?

PetKal wrote:
My rule for tripod mounted telephoto lenses: if the image is steady enough in VF for the range of shutter speed values used, then IS remains off. If there is a wiggle to be seen in the VF (wind being the primary culprit here), then IS is turned on.

In other words, I give no credit to the lens tripod detection feature, and instead, I go by my own eyeballing of image blur causing shake.

+1

Dec 05, 2012 at 07:03 PM
DavidCH

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · No tripod detection on Canon lenses?

WilliamG wrote:
I had a disastrous time with IS on my 24-105L + tripod. I was doing some neutral density filter 2 second shots of a waterfall. Thankfully I noticed that IS was on before I packed up, as I had to redo EVERY SINGLE photo I had taken, with IS turned off. The photos with IS off thankfully looked wonderful. The IS-on shots were unusable.

+1, had exactly the same issues a with a 4 months old 24-105L, bought in a kit with the 5D3. Doesn't seem like this lens is able to detect a tripod at all.

Fortunately, the results were so bad that it was easy to spot the mistake...

Dec 07, 2012 at 04:02 AM
John_T
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · No tripod detection on Canon lenses?

The current IS version will stabilize 0.5-20k Hz, including mirror slap, but on tripod I would turn it off for slow shutter speeds on the timer release, as the shutter might coincide with the IS on/off cycle.

With the cable release you can push half way to activate IS, then when the image is stabilized, release the shutter. Shooting this way I have used IS on tripod with no problems.

Dec 07, 2012 at 06:45 AM
Vincentwong

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · No tripod detection on Canon lenses?

My 300 2.8 IS manual says it got Tripod detection and IS will not work though current are still supplied to it thus wasting power. That's as much as it does. But I wonder how it did the detection, by the vibration or by anything mounted to tripod mount, including Arca plates

Dec 11, 2012 at 10:39 PM
carnac
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · No tripod detection on Canon lenses?

Tripod detection is initiated when the IS in the lens detects very little or no vibration. There is nothing on the tripod mount of the body to detect a tripod and shut down IS. One problem with that would be, no IS if you had an QR plate mounted to the body and were shooting handheld (as I often do). Same problems with a lens ring tripod mount - if it had a mechanical detector on the mount and you had a QR plate.

Jim

Dec 12, 2012 at 01:37 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.