New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Panorama/PTGUI/HDR Questions

papageno
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Panorama/PTGUI/HDR Questions

Shot a couple of spherical panos recently for a friend.

Nikon D-300, fixed color balance, manual exposure changing shutter speed, lowest iso, pano head on solid sticks. lens was Nikon 10.5 fisheye. Camera angled down about 15 degrees for 9 shot rotation with good ovwrlap. 4 shot rotation for the top.

Converted raw to 16 bit tiffs; all synched.

Aligned and stitched with PTGUI.

No matter what I do or how I do it, I find I need to make a number of small adjustments for joins that visibly miss. Alignment top and bottom of each pano is a problem. Normally I solve these issues by exporting a layered panorama, which can usually be fixed by careful masking adjustments.

I wanted to do this one with HDR, which I rarely use. PTGUI will not export HDR'd layers; you have to work with a completed panorama. HDRing the selects in PSCS5 produces spectacularly mismatched images. I can find no way to set Photoshop to use the same settings for each image.

If you have done anything remotely along these lines, I would appreciate any useful thoughts on this process. How can I improve my work?

Sorry, but the picture is of a collector and his treasures; he does not want it posted for any reason.

Edited on Dec 05, 2012 at 05:58 PM · View previous versions

Dec 05, 2012 at 12:51 AM
Mr Joe
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Panorama/PTGUI/HDR Questions

Are you using the standard version of PTGui? The Pro version has much better HDR support:
http://www.ptgui.com/hdrtutorial.html

Dec 05, 2012 at 01:43 PM
papageno
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Panorama/PTGUI/HDR Questions

Professional

Dec 05, 2012 at 05:57 PM
tived
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Panorama/PTGUI/HDR Questions

Parallex is your problem

Henrik

Dec 05, 2012 at 10:32 PM
Mr Joe
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Panorama/PTGUI/HDR Questions

What kind of number are you seeing in PTGui when you optimize?

Also, why 9 around? You should have enough coverage with 6 around at -15, and 1 up.

Dec 06, 2012 at 01:42 PM
papageno
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Panorama/PTGUI/HDR Questions

Actually, I don't think parallax is the problem. I'm using a pano head and am pivoting on the focal point of the lens, It is a fisheye, which I am told has a variable focus depending on where you are, Don't know if that is correct, but when I spin it, items near and far do not move or change relationship.

Pt GUI says only "good" with max point disparity of 14.63. I have added a number of vertical t1 points, without which doors lean in peculiar ways.

9 around for two reasons: more overlap and to have important components in one piece where possible. I find I need three up to cover completely.

Dec 06, 2012 at 07:52 PM
tived
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Panorama/PTGUI/HDR Questions

ouch 14+ thats high, you should aim for under 2

you would not have that high an error without parallex.

go to the PTGui forum/mailing list and post your project, you might get some better hep there

Henrik

Dec 07, 2012 at 04:23 AM
papageno
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Panorama/PTGUI/HDR Questions

If anyone is interested, I reran my last two panos and got significantly better results. Same images, but more manual intervention.

I added some control points, added a number of vertical t1 points and allowed the program to be more aggressive in warping. At a guess, a 60-75% improvement in warping, although it is still necessary to save as individual images and remask in spots.

I did some premasking in PTGUI, which was useful, although the function could be improved. Fisheye images reform into an hourglass shape; masking them after warping would remove the corners, which are a problem area. If the automatic masking could be a controlled soft edge, some joint problems would be minimized.

There several thoughtful videos on YouTube that offer good guidance.

Hope this helps someone!

Dec 09, 2012 at 08:07 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.