Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · U14 Boys Soccer

TimCard

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · U14 Boys Soccer

I've been following this forum for quite some time and I've learned quite a few very useful tips. I thought I'd post some photos of my son's first soccer game of the season from last weekend for C&C.

Canon EOS 7D    280mm    f/4.0    1/2000s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS 7D    205mm    f/4.0    1/1000s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS 7D    280mm    f/4.0    1/800s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

TimCard 2012

Canon EOS 7D    235mm    f/4.0    1/1250s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Dec 05, 2012 at 03:15 AM
TimCard

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · U14 Boys Soccer

3 more

Thanks,
Tim

TimCard 2012

Canon EOS 7D    280mm    f/4.0    1/400s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

TimCard 2012

Canon EOS 7D    280mm    f/4.0    1/1250s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

TimCard 2012

Canon EOS 7D    175mm    f/4.0    1/2500s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

Dec 05, 2012 at 03:17 AM
gschlact
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · U14 Boys Soccer

Tim,
I Need to get me a copy of your Action that dos such a great job morphing your logo onto those Orange Jerseys

Some general comments...
At least whole viewing on my ipad, it looks like many of the shaded face shots could use some increased exposure and a bump in saturation..

To maintain sharpness... When shooting the longer Focal Lengths, be sure to use proper technique steadying the lens before you shoot the shot. Also, if using IS (or any form of image Stablization) make sure you have let it settle before exposing the shot, or many turn it off completely (I happen to like Canon Mode 2. The best way to do this is to keep AF on while tracking the action and not try to lift the camera to your eye and grab a quick shot. It appears this might have bitten you on #3.

Also, if there are any vertical objects in the background like a pole, make sure you level the shot to have it be vertical otherwise it is distracting.

Last, shoot and crop tight. #1 can be cropped on top bottom and left side will looks better. (I get to do this on my ipad by expanding past the boarders (ping zoom)

Guy

Dec 05, 2012 at 04:04 AM
TimCard

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · U14 Boys Soccer

Thanks Guy, this is the first time in ~6 years that I haven't coached my son so I thought I'd do the second best thing and sponsor the team.

You actually nailed it with the IS. I've never used it with any of my sports shooting before but thought I'd give it a shot (Mode 2). I think that's what bit me with the distance shots.

I'll work on the faces to increase the exposure and bump the saturation. Thanks for the feedback, I'll keep working at it.

Thanks again,
Tim

Dec 05, 2012 at 03:29 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · U14 Boys Soccer

Tim: Welcome to the photo-posting world of the Sports Corner.

Your first shot is by far your best. Nice action, framing, symmetry, etc. Second shot is for the recycle bin--headless, out-of-focus foreground player, another player with his back to you, ball mostly out of view and awkward action. I'd be interested to know what you saw in this image that led you to post it. (I think this is a great way to improve not only your shooting, but also your decision-making about which are your better shots. Explain what you saw and then hear from others about what they see. Beginning to be able to see your images through others' eyes is an important part of the learning process.) Third shot offers nice action but is not in focus. Same with the fourth shot as far as I can tell (the backlighting might be causing some of the problems here). I like what you've captured with your fifth shot, but it doesn't look crisp to me. Same focus issues with #6, and I'm not crazy about the action moment--missing leg of player controlling the ball and the defender is too far away. What does the next shot in the sequence look like? Last shot has potential but it seems to suffer from sharpening artifacts or something of the sort.

Timing is good on most, framing isn't bad. Time to work on nailing focus. Keep shooting and posting, and thanks for sharing your work.

Dec 05, 2012 at 04:35 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

TimCard

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · U14 Boys Soccer

Hi Russ, you're right on about #2, it shouldn't have been included here. It was actually a nice slide tackle which stopped a good run. Unfortunately my timing was off and the other player got in the way. I think the softness on some of the photos is the result of playing around with the IS. I'll definitely work on improving the focus in the games this coming weekend.

Thanks again,
Tim

Dec 05, 2012 at 09:26 PM
schlotz
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · U14 Boys Soccer

Tim, welcome to FM and especially the Sports Forum.

You've been given good, sound advice. The majority of sports shooters do not use IS as the high shutter speeds to stop action negate its usefulness. BTW, IS also slows the AF process a bit. With the rapid, any direction play in soccer, fast AF is essential. Heavy crops to bring captured play closer will suffer in the sharpness category and believe this is some of what you might be experiencing here as well. As a general rule when shooting the 70-200, it's usually better to fill the frame vs relying on a heavy crop, which means waiting for the action to come to you. Using a 1.4tc can help with the reach but the added glass has a downside in f-stop and to a small degree, sharpness.

Try and keep your SS above 1/1000. Note #5, its was taken at 1/400 and IMO too slow for daytime soccer. The combo of 1.4 TC (200mm x 1.4) needed a higher ISO (400 to 640) to get the SS in a more functional range.

Keep shooting, it does get better

Regards,
Matt

Dec 06, 2012 at 03:10 AM
TimCard

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · U14 Boys Soccer

Thanks for the tips and the feedback Matt.

Dec 08, 2012 at 03:48 AM
hilo90mhz

Account locked
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · U14 Boys Soccer

I'll work on the brightness and contrast.

Dec 09, 2012 at 12:35 PM
escandon23

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · U14 Boys Soccer

i love the sponsor..........

Jan 16, 2013 at 05:16 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password