13              16       17       end

Archive 2012 · Diado Moriyama shooting jpg with a P&S

RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.12 #1 · p.12 #1 · Diado Moriyama shooting jpg with a P&S

Mirek Elsner wrote:
Most people are left OR right.

I disagree ... most people favor left or right, with a few being equally balanced between them. But most people have the capacity to use and/or develop both left or right to varying degrees. It is certainly easier and more natural to use your dominant side, but when people stop trying to develop (limits I know) and use their "less dominant" side, then they have left something of themselves on the table, so to speak.

Me, I'm probably 80/20 ... but I still like to stretch my 20 when I can.
Which leads me to my appreciation for this post ...

S Dilworth wrote:
I think there are millions of ‘wannabe Daidos’, as ayler puts it, simply because his photos strike a chord with many people (especially young people). The vast majority of those people resonate with the basic aesthetic of are-bure-bokeh (rough, blurred, and out of focus) rather than any highfaluting philosophy behind it all.

There’s just something very visceral about edgy street scenes full of speed and motion. Printed large enough, the grainy off-kilter photos can be pretty intense to come face-to-face with in a gallery. They induce feelings of displacement, the contradictions of both feeling at home in the anonymous city
...Show more

Thank you for your explanation ... it helps.

Do you think ...

"The vast majority of those people resonate with the basic aesthetic of are-bure-bokeh (rough, blurred, and out of focus)"

is mostly the byproduct of the social element involved ... akin to grunge music, etc., (which has a following, but may not resonate well with arduously trained classical musicians),

OR

do you think it resonates so strongly because the time, money, effort and learning curve of the technical skills needed to emulate it can be rapidly developed, such that multitudes can readily participate in its emulation (i.e. grass roots) ... unlike other styles or genre's that have a greater reliance on slowly developed technical aspects of our craft.?

I'm inclined to consider that the combination of both drives it. Thus, for those of us who may not feel that kind of social angst, and have already developed an appreciation for the technical elements of our craft, we find it more challenging to initially connect with something we've never seen in person. Possibly as well, "slightly offensive" to the hard work we've put into developing our technical skills, such that we are "put off" by it (maybe even some would say "jealous" of the accolades / attention it has garnered) out of our ignorance of the underlying social elements involved with its resonating popularity.

I think I'm beginning to "get it" ... at least as to an understanding of why/where its strong appeal comes for others. Am I moving any closer, in that regard?

Edited on Dec 07, 2012 at 08:02 AM · View previous versions

Dec 07, 2012 at 07:39 AM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.12 #2 · p.12 #2 · Diado Moriyama shooting jpg with a P&S

mpmendenhall wrote:
The actual disapproval that I see being directed against Daido's work has nothing to do with gear snobbery. Rather, it is a subjective, aesthetic, emotional, artistic response to the fact that Daido's work simply has no appeal or impact, no deep communication or challenge, to many of the viewers here.

I agree with this as well. I hadn't really thought of it till it was implied on the previous page. But after thinking about it I conclude as Mendenhall that the influence of gear-love in the evaluation of Diado's finished works is infinitesimal in this thread so far. Of course the equipment he uses affects his shooting style but that's where the influence ends for me and seemingly for the others I read posting here as well.

Additionally even though this is a gear-topiced sub-forum I don't actually view the people here in that light. All one has to do is click on each member's "WWW" button to see that the vast majority of folks here are artist types rather then gear freaks. Otherwise the links would be going mostly to assessment and review blogs/vlogs - which is NOT the case. In almost every case the link leads to their respective art portfolios - often depicting several styles within 3 to 5 different genera.

Therefore I also conclude that the idea of different forums behaving differently based on the general types of topics being discussed to also be false. Rather I believe is has a lot to do with the management (Admins and Mods) and just whoever happens to be the top posters at a given site. Take here for example. Fred is probably the most laid back not-interested-in-controlling-others mod/admin I've ever come across and this site reflects that very well. No one is publicly scolded for OT, cursing, and inflammatory posts and it seems that only when something "reported" does it receive a critical moderator eye. So being treated like adults almost all people here act like adults. At other sites where people are treated like children that's what they act like. And then add in the top-poster's influences I mentioned and I think that is just about the complete formula for all of the forums I have ever been a member of - and I think my memberships number in the hundreds; only 20 or so of which are photography related.

S. Dilworth https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1171447/10#11172277 said some interesting things about Diado's work. Some of his comments made sense to me. I don't agree with every detail but most of it fits from what I think I know. In fact I feel a lot of it is just a better worded version of what I was saying (or was trying to say) previously.

Dec 07, 2012 at 07:55 AM
joe88
• • • •
p.12 #3 · p.12 #3 · Diado Moriyama shooting jpg with a P&S

wow 12 pages on Daido Moriyama on FM forum. For a moment I though I was at Rangefinder forum

I'm a fan of Daido's work as of some of the other great Japanese photographers from the Provoke era such as Eikoh Hosoe, Shomei Tomatsu, Nobuyoshi Araki and many others but I can clearly understand why many photographers would not like Daido's work. Using such a polarized and niche photography genre that is clearly Daido's style (or anti-style as Daido would tell you) is probably the wrong example to discuss photography as art.

So, back to topic of gear, I'm surprised that Daido switched to a Nikon. Most of his work was with Ricoh GR film cameras and even in his latest color book released this year (2012), most of the pics were shot with a Ricoh digital P&S. Maybe Daido trying to tell us gear doesn't matter for his type of photography.

Dec 07, 2012 at 10:21 AM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.12 #4 · p.12 #4 · Diado Moriyama shooting jpg with a P&S

cogitech wrote:
I figured it was inevitable that he show his true (dull) colours once again.

For those of you who missed the posts that Fred deleted earlier in the thread, I think you all should know just what we are dealing with here:

At one point, believe it or not, Exdsc actually sunk as low as to insult Mike Mendenhall"s hair line.

We are dealing with an adolescent sociopath here, not a mere troll.

Wow, a flame thread I'm not staring in? Dang maybe I'm losing my touch! Or maybe I can rectify it? Muahahahaaaa

Hey Mike Mendenhall... You receding hair-liner you!

But all seriousness aside, while this Ex guy seems like a troll to most or all of us I actually think he's being serious in his own mind. I think (sadly) that he actually believes what he's saying. Every viewpoint is valid as long as it's ernest (IMO) - even if it's completely wrong or it makes us wanna throttle the person holding it.

So I don't support banning this guy. I haven't ever seen Fred ban someone for this kind of behavior yet and I hope he doesn't start. Remember he's doing all of this in his own thread - it's not like he's calling us whores in every thread as to be too difficult to easily ignore.

And besides some of us may actually fit some of his (rather rudely stated) descriptions. It's pretty easy to fall in love with one's self over photography I think. I haven't seen any signs of it posted but who knows what goes on on the other side of all those screens? On the topic of me I have no aspirations but to share information and maybe something pleasant to view occasionally. I also hate labels like "photographer" or "wanna-be" or "novice" when they're used to identify a person instead of an activity or process. So in that regard I'm either a "photographer" or not depending on how the word is used. I'm certainly a "novice" in the sense that I haven't mastered much to do with photography! And I'm a "wanna-be" but only after rich men's bank accounts!

Dec 07, 2012 at 11:46 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.12 #5 · p.12 #5 · Diado Moriyama shooting jpg with a P&S

So, are you defending his conduct as being consistent with the guidelines that Fred has set forth for us to follow? And, even if he isn't trolling (for which I would gladly apologize for calling him) and is serious in his mind ... he still needs to conduct himself with his fellow FM'ers in better accordance with the conduct set forth by Fred. Many of us "get outa line" at times ... but a gentle nudge from our fellow FM'ers (especially when it is collective) is usually all it takes for us to self-regulate, or we wind up in "agree to disagree" mode ... not trashing the whole of the forum, personal attacks, "putting people in their place" and the remainder of the cadre of inappropriate conduct this OP has deliberately demonstrated on multiple accounts.

I'm all good with opinions are equally valid ... that hasn't been the issue ... it has been his intentional and deliberate treatment of his fellow members. Even someone without an ounce of a brain, such as myself (according to the OP) can recognize this individual for what he has demonstrated ... and has been so brazen in escalating.

Bif ... you and I went round & round for months a few years back. But never did we call each other "stupid" or a "whore". Nor did we ever render such personal attacks as the OP did on Mike, Carsten, Paul, etc. We continued to give each other credence and respect of human decency, yet challenged one another, as we tried to come to better understand each other's differing perspectives and opinions, all the while trying to prove our point. I know that you, I and many FM'ers truly appreciate the lack of censorship and self-regulation that FM affords ... but that is not license to grossly abuse such privilege that we have been granted by Fred and conduct oneself as this OP has demonstrated here.

This OP has clearly shown himself to be obstinately intentional to violate the code of conduct @ FM. As FM'ers we've seen a few new members get off on the wrong foot, so to speak. Heck, many of us got off to a "rocky start" as well. As such, we have a tolerance for new members learning how we play in the sandbox together. But, those who are interested in learning how we conduct ourselves and what is appropriate / allowed FM conduct, typically give an indication of pliability. This OP has instead, hardened himself against seasoned, good faith, FM'ers, and done so with intentional malice.

Unless he should decide to acknowledge that an FM code of conduct even exists, and aspire to rectify such things accordingly ... then I think that banning him is something that deserves proper consideration. We, of course, have no direct control over such ... but, the magnitude warrants the consideration ... if nothing more than to bring credence to the seriousness of his conduct in an effort to rectify it.

He is a relatively new member ... if he is mistaken as to what kind of place FM is, and correction will yield fruitfulness, so be it. But, his sheer lack of credence to conduct with his fellow members does not suggest a high probability of such occurring. I'm all good with "second chances" ... but I think it folly to believe that this OP would sincerely welcome such in good faith. The opportunity has been placed before him already ... and he has merely increasingly taunted in response ... lacking in remorse, humility or consideration for the gravity of his conduct.

This is one for Fred to address as he sees fit. Fred's forum, Fred's rules, Fred's decisions ... to which I will accept accordingly.

Dec 07, 2012 at 12:02 PM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.12 #6 · p.12 #6 · Diado Moriyama shooting jpg with a P&S

Dismissing Daido's former work is unfair on my behalf. I regret that, my apologies.
I still stand by my comments regarding his latest work which has zero appeal to me.

If that level is what Exdsc aspires towards in his photography then well, he is clearly _below_ me and I have no further interest in participating as simply being in the same thread is degrading. Exdsc has educated no one. In order to do that you must have something worth saying. And he just hasn't got that.

Dec 07, 2012 at 12:38 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.12 #7 · p.12 #7 · Diado Moriyama shooting jpg with a P&S

I have deleted a few insulting posts and notified some members that this will not be tolerated here.
Thanks for your cooperation.
Fred

Dec 07, 2012 at 12:47 PM
artd
• • •
p.12 #8 · p.12 #8 · Diado Moriyama shooting jpg with a P&S

Spyro P. wrote:
I have exactly zero problems with people who dont get it, especially since I cant explain what it is exactly that "I get"

I realised a long time ago that making photos is one thing that requires some kind of talent, but talking about photos and particularly about art in photography, without sounding like a complete knob, requires an entirely different talent altogether. Which I dont have.

Very rarely you will find people who are good at both, which is another reason why those threads where photographers talk about art usually turn to sh!t really quickly

I think one of the problems that happens when "art" is discussed on photography forums, especially when famous artists are concerned, is a tendency emerges to ridicule those artists. (We saw the exact same thing in happen in threads where Gursky was brought up, for example). There are some more moderate commenters who will more diplomatically say something along the lines of "This style of work doesn't appeal to me" but there are also posters who overtly trash the artist and make demeaning statements about the value of their work.

Now this does not excuse the behavior exhibited in this thread by the OP. Trash talking other forum members has no place here. But, trash talking a famous artist you have never met is, in my opinion, equally distasteful.

Consider what happened at the beginning of this thread. In reference to a couple of photographs someone said "They both suck." To which it was replied "Could it be that your taste in photography sucks?"

Most here would contend the reply was out of line because it "got personal." But why is it not out of line to say something similar about another photographer as long as they are not here? If Diado Moriyama joined as a member of this forum would it still be ok to say "Your work sucks"? There is another post in this thread that says Moriyama has no talent. Would you ever say to another forum member "you have no talent"? Why is it ok to say that about a photographer's work if he is not a member?

It's a given that not everyone is going to like the same stuff. And we're all free to share our opinions, and we should not insult each other over those opinions. But being dismissive, demeaning, or outright ridiculing Moriyama or Eggleston or Gursky or any other artist you "don't understand" isn't exactly a classy move either.

Dec 07, 2012 at 01:55 PM
alwang
• • •
p.12 #9 · p.12 #9 · Diado Moriyama shooting jpg with a P&S

artd wrote:
I think one of the problems that happens when "art" is discussed on photography forums, especially when famous artists are concerned, is a tendency emerges to ridicule those artists. (We saw the exact same thing in happen in threads where Gursky was brought up, for example). There are some more moderate commenters who will more diplomatically say something along the lines of "This style of work doesn't appeal to me" but there are also posters who overtly trash the artist and make demeaning statements about the value of their work.

Now this does not excuse the behavior exhibited in this thread
...Show more

+1

Dec 07, 2012 at 02:20 PM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.12 #10 · p.12 #10 · Diado Moriyama shooting jpg with a P&S

artd,

You are right. I apologize for saying "They both suck".

First, I should clarify that I was speaking specifically about the two photos in question (Moriyama's pink bathwater and Eggleston's green shower) not about their entire bodies of work. If you look back at the context, you'll see that this is the case. Also, if you look at my other posts, I always tried to specify "Moriyma's current colour work" as opposed to "Moriyama's work."

I should have said "they are equally unappealing and meaningless to me". This is something that I would feel comfortable saying to fellow FMers, but I do not often have the need or desire to say it, to be honest.

I would definitely not say "it sucks" to people around here because in some way, even if small, I feel I know many of the people around here. The sense of community changes things. It is only natural to afford members of a community more respect than strangers (whether the stranger is "famous" or not). Perhaps not "right", but I think many people do tend to do so.

None of us are perfect, and I apologize for being crass about the two photos that I found so unappealing.

I will not, however, apologize for any of my return fire towards the OP and I do not think he/she deserves a 3rd chance. I will click "hide me" on the OP and take away only what I have learned from some of the other contributors here, including yourself.

P.S. I am not on board with this whole "don't understand" nonsense. I "don't understand" the vast majority of visual artists, and I am the first to admit it; this doesn't prevent me from loving their work. Van Gogh, Dali, etc. I have no clue what was going on in their minds (and I don't need to know), but I love to look at their work.

I do not strive to understand the artists. This isn't the point of art to me, and if the artist goes about things with this intent then they are a failure from the start. Nihilists who attempt to project their own ego through some form of mass media. FAIL. The art should be about the subject(s), or simply about the art itself.

I strive to appreciate the art itself or learn something about the subject(s) of the art, and for that I do not necessarily have to understand the artist. All I need to do is interpret it. Interpretation is the biggest factor in art. Some art is more conducive to "obvious" interpretation. Other art approaches the "uninterpretable". Either way, it is all variably pleasant or unpleasant to look at regardless of "understanding" or "interpretation."

"Understanding" Moriyama would not allow me to enjoy interpreting or simply looking at his colour photos. Maybe he's wise. Maybe he's a nihilist pedophile. I don't know, and I don't care.

This reminds me of an odd experience I once had. My wife and I had a chance to hang some of our "art" at a local restaurant for a few weeks. Various types of stuff, including several landscapes that I had shot. One particular shot that many around here have seen (Distagon 21 Castle) caught the eye of someone at the opening and this person proceeded to question me on all sorts of aspects of the photo. Why did I choose to frame it so, why so much water in the foreground, what was I feeling/thinking when I took the shot... This person actually seemed to need to know all of this in order to enjoy the photo. This surprised me, and nervous laughter was all I could manage. Granted, some photos do have a story behind them, but some photos are just photos. I can enjoy both without understanding the artist.

(Note: The person in question had been to art school.)

Edited on Dec 07, 2012 at 03:46 PM · View previous versions

Dec 07, 2012 at 02:35 PM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.12 #11 · p.12 #11 · Diado Moriyama shooting jpg with a P&S

I still reserve the right to say that the current work of a "famous" or "acclaimed" photographer "sucks" - not implying that the whole body of work done of said photographer "sucks".

When it comes to fellow members or participants in various photo threads I would never bash anyone. If I really hated a photo I would simply not comment. But, when it comes to crap work being hailed as "important" and "something to aspire towards" by a celeb photographer I feel less of a douche throwing an axe into it, even if some people would feel insulted by it.

I do separate the work from the person. I.e. I can enjoy the work of a photographer who is a jerk as well as I can get bored by shots taken by someone I really like as a person.

Dec 07, 2012 at 03:25 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.12 #12 · p.12 #12 · Diado Moriyama shooting jpg with a P&S

Rusty,
Of course you're technically right. I agree on all points. But I dunno. There's a mode of reaction (or interaction) here in Japan often typified by an older man (>50) taking HEAVY verbal abuse from a very young man (20ish) and at the end of it the older just smiles. Later sometimes in these stories, the younger man becomes the student or apprentice of the older but the initial verbal abuse was kinda necessary for both on very many non-verbal levels.

Maybe that's how it is sometimes with forums too?

I read a story about a famous museum in the states where the curator got his job (at 22) in exactly the same fashion so it's not just a Japanese thing either. Sometimes it's better to just smile...

artd,
IMO it's OK to say someone's photograph sucks or even that their work in general sucks. If that's what is really meant then why pussyfoot around about it. Hopefully an explanation will follow tho! On the other hand I don't think it's possible to determine if the person has any potential talent or not so that probably falls into the personal attack category - which isn't cool for sure. Then again, saying that the person exhibits a high degree of talentlessness or is talentless in general based on some body of work is again fine. Sure, it's not diplomatic or kind but diplomacy and kindness may not be thought the correct mode of discussion at the time or under the particular circumstances. Tough love?? I've been told my work sucked! More than once even. In my case it made me want to become better - of course only after recovering the bits of my exploded ego.

Just my 2˘

Edited on Dec 07, 2012 at 04:50 PM · View previous versions

Dec 07, 2012 at 04:03 PM
Exdsc
• •
p.12 #13 · p.12 #13 · Diado Moriyama shooting jpg with a P&S

Fred Miranda wrote:
I have deleted a few insulting posts and notified some members that this will not be tolerated here.
Thanks for your cooperation.
Fred

You have my full cooperation.

Dec 07, 2012 at 04:19 PM
alwang
• • •
p.12 #14 · p.12 #14 · Diado Moriyama shooting jpg with a P&S

cogitech wrote:
P.S. I am not on board with this whole "don't understand" nonsense. I "don't understand" the vast majority of visual artists, and I am the first to admit it; this doesn't prevent me from loving their work. Van Gogh, Dali, etc. I have no clue what was going on in their minds (and I don't need to know), but I love to look at their work.

I do not strive to understand the artists. This isn't the point of art to me, and if the artist goes about things with this intent then they are a failure from the start.
...Show more

Actually, I was going to comment on this earlier in the thread, because I do think this is rather central to the conflict in this thread, perhaps more relevant than the left-brain/right-brain or gearhead/non-gearhead dichotomies. I think there are two equally valid approaches to art. There are some who believe art is primarily about the artwork, and there are others who believe art is primarily about the artist. (Of course there is a full spectrum between these two camps)

For those in the former camp, the end product should stand on its own, and find everything else is either irrelevant or distasteful (I actually do think there are some Daido photos which succeed by this criteria). I can certainly appreciate this viewpoint, and particularly on an online discussion forum where most of us are not well known to each other, this approach is perhaps the only way for us to evaluate each other photos successfully.

In the case of Daido, there is quite a bit else to consider beyond the photos: the artist's personality, his tastes, his social circles, his cultural tradition, his geographic environment, his style of shooting, his approach to displaying/marketing art, his fame and place in photographic history. For those in the latter camp, these external factors are all elements that resonate with the actual pictures, and contribute to a narrative about Daido's artistic process, and for some people, that's the point: they see art as fundamentally personal. It doesn't mean you have to like, or even empathize with the artist, and it certainly doesn't mean that the artist is not egoistic/self-serving/self-marketing, but I do think Daido's art is better appreciated as being about his personal approach to observing the world.

I think I hear both of these competing viewpoints in this thread, and perhaps it explains the rather drastic and emotional responses to Daido. However I do think if you are going to have any sort of constructive conversation about art, we all need to tone back our rhetoric to allow enough room for dialogue.

Dec 07, 2012 at 04:31 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.12 #15 · p.12 #15 · Diado Moriyama shooting jpg with a P&S

Bifurcator wrote:
Rusty,
Of course you're technically right. I agree on all points. But I dunno. There's a mode of reaction (or interaction) here in Japan often typified by an older man (>50) taking HEAVY verbal abuse from a very young man (20ish) and at the end of it the older just smiles. Later sometimes in these stories, the younger man becomes the student or apprentice of the older but the initial verbal abuse was kinda necessary for both on very many non-verbal levels.

Yes, I'm good with the "smile" thing. I've done it myself with others who have tried to berate me personally, but knowing that they were doing so out of their own folly ... later to come to understand one another beyond the inappropriate conduct. Funny thought ... watching you "smile" at some youngin' trying to trash you. I'd probably "bust a gut" knowing that he didn't have a clue as to what he was up against.

However, ... but had the young man (in your story) been disrespecting a bevy of OTHERS ... how long would the older man sit back and allow it to continue. It is one thing to be accosted and "be patient", secure in your wisdom that he is doing you no real harm, only making a fool of himself (hence, the "smile") ... it is quite another to sit back and watch others being undeservedly accosted / abused, to the point it is obviously causing them angst.

Dec 07, 2012 at 05:24 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.12 #16 · p.12 #16 · Diado Moriyama shooting jpg with a P&S

Exdsc ... Welcome back ... Sorry for the angst. I'm sure that accompanying your passions, lies value to be shared with your fellow FM'ers.

I'd still like to hear what it is about Daido that is compelling you to be drawn to him as strongly as you are.

Many years ago, I fell in love with AA images. I tried my hearts content to emulate AA shooting slide film, never getting anywhere really close. Then I took my first B&W class, where I was explained in the darkroom was how he processed his images to bring them to the way that he wanted them to be.

This came as a surprise to me, after I had previously believed it was "in camera". I immediately exclaimed to my instructor "HE CHEATS !!!" and had instant disdain for AA. It was several years later before I finally began to garner a better understanding of what AA was doing & why.

Earlier this year, I had an opportunity to study a body of his more famous works over a two month period. I also had an opportunity to speak briefly with his son ... and I told my story of how I had once said that his father "cheated" and asked him about some insight to his father on a personal level. There were other members of FM present that day as well.

I share this with you for two reasons ... one, to show you that back when I really didn't have an ounce of a brain ... even I was recoverable, given the chance and a little time. Second, if you do have an interest in my take on AA ... I'd gladly share it with you (my fellow FM'er) from my perspective / experience.

I mention this because, I do hope that you would understand that I truly do have a sincere interest to hear what it is about Daido that strikes such a chord with you. I'm rather curious as to how these iconic men compare and contrast and their impact on how people perceive such things. I figure if I liked AA, then didn't get AA, then got AA ... it is certainly plausible that I might come to "get" Daido, even if I didn't before. So it is for all who have embraced the passion for our craft.

Dec 07, 2012 at 05:28 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.12 #17 · p.12 #17 · Diado Moriyama shooting jpg with a P&S

Hey guys ... I literally just received notification that one of my pieces is being placed into Mitchell Museum's permanent collection.

Infinitesimally small scale ... but now people can forever say "I suck" and they "don't get" me. Heck, it isn't anywhere close to my favorite piece, I think it sucks compared to what I wanted it to be and I "don't get" why they would want THAT piece (well, sorta) instead of some others.

Dec 07, 2012 at 06:22 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.12 #18 · p.12 #18 · Diado Moriyama shooting jpg with a P&S

Wow, congratulations! Now you will have to answer all these questions about what you intended, write an artist's statement and all that!

Is this the Mitchell Museum of the American Indian? Are you allow to post the shot here, or a link?

Dec 07, 2012 at 06:44 PM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.12 #19 · p.12 #19 · Diado Moriyama shooting jpg with a P&S

Congrats Kent! That's great news, and perhaps a great way to end this thread.

Dec 07, 2012 at 09:04 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.12 #20 · p.12 #20 · Diado Moriyama shooting jpg with a P&S

Thanks guys.

No, Carsten ... nothing so noteworthy. Mitchell Museum at Cedarhurst. But, "Mitchell" is near & dear to me and has often served me as either my muse, repose or education into other art forms. They are rather amazing at bringing in the work they do from around the world. In fact, their slogan is "Cedarhurst, Be Amazed."

Considering that they exhibited Ansel Adams private collection at the start of the year ... and have Paul Strand images in the same permanent collection, that I'll now be part of. It is an exciting, humbling (shaking my head, not sure what to do with it emotionally) honor to even "sweep the floor in the back room" of such company.

I mean, lets get real here ... I'm a "nobody", but someday, someone will ask "Who was this guy? I never heard of him before." Kinda surreal to consider that, even in such obscurity, someone will try to understand why I shot what I did, the way I did, and what the heck was my reason for doing so ... some claiming to see genius, others not getting it, and still others saying it is total crap, a kid with cell phone could do better than that.

http://www.cedarhurst.org/index.php?page=permanent-collection

© Kent Southers 2012 aka RustyBug

Aligned

Dec 07, 2012 at 10:47 PM
1       2       3              11      

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              11      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.