FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

3              16       17       end

Archive 2012 · Diado Moriyama shooting jpg with a P&S

Exdsc
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Diado Moriyama shooting jpg with a P&S

cogitech wrote:
I would rather have an opinion about a photo, than an opinion about another person's opinion about a photo.

Opinions are like photos, the world is full of them and no one cares for them anymore, unless of course you happen to be Diado Moriyama who's every book is a collector's item and everyone, from rank amateur to magnum members are ripping off "his aesthetic"...

Little knowledge is dangerous and silence is golden etc. etc...

Dec 05, 2012 at 02:12 PM
misanthropic a
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Diado Moriyama shooting jpg with a P&S

Exdsc wrote:
Could it be that your taste in photography sucks?

A possibility, worth exploring...

Wow that is quite uncalled for.
I personally don't really like his work, I find it way to oversaturated and contrasty. Almost Instagram like, but just IMO.

Dec 05, 2012 at 02:12 PM
Exdsc
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Diado Moriyama shooting jpg with a P&S

mpmendenhall wrote:
The whole "color" set shown is strongly photography-themed; photos of images, torn film, photo booths, references to other famous photographs, etc. It's essentially the self-referential, inside-jokes, lolcats-equivalent for the "modern art" photo scene.

According to Moriyama, everything is equivalent in front of a camera, so you can take photos of photos and so on and there is no limit.

Dec 05, 2012 at 02:15 PM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Diado Moriyama shooting jpg with a P&S

Exdsc wrote:
Opinions are like photos, the world is full of them and no one cares for them anymore, unless of course you happen to be Diado Moriyama who's every book is a collector's item and everyone, from rank amateur to magnum members are ripping off "his aesthetic"...

Little knowledge is dangerous and silence is golden etc. etc...

Pretentious much?

Collectors items, eh? That says it all.

Perhaps you should at least learn how to spell his name.

Dec 05, 2012 at 02:18 PM
Exdsc
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Diado Moriyama shooting jpg with a P&S

cogitech wrote:
Pretentious much?

Collectors items, eh? That says it all.

Perhaps you should at least learn how to spell his name.

It took you 10 posts to say what you wanted to say in the first place, "pretentious"... Do you think you're the first troll that I had to deal with on the internet...

Please stop spamming this thread.

Thank you.

Dec 05, 2012 at 02:26 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Diado Moriyama shooting jpg with a P&S

Oh boy.

I like some of his work.

Dec 05, 2012 at 02:30 PM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Diado Moriyama shooting jpg with a P&S

Exdsc wrote:
It took you 10 posts to say what you wanted to say in the first place, "pretentious"... Do you think you're the first troll that I had to deal with on the internet...

Thank you.

You're the one who made it personal by insulting my taste.

This is an internet forum; a place where people express their opinions.

I will not refrain from doing so based on the fact that you disagree with me.

Get used to it, because I am not going anywhere.

Dec 05, 2012 at 02:34 PM
mpmendenhall
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Diado Moriyama shooting jpg with a P&S

Exdsc wrote:

Yeah, Cogitech, stop spamming!
Can't you tell from the first post that this is definitely not a thread for trolling?
Exdsc, a forum stalwart with a long standing reputation, just wanted to start a civilized conversation on the Alternative Gear and Lenses Forum about why people are silly for being obsessed about gear --- but then some upstart looking for trouble always wants to ruin things!

Dec 05, 2012 at 02:41 PM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Diado Moriyama shooting jpg with a P&S

How stupid of me!

Dec 05, 2012 at 02:48 PM
Exdsc
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Diado Moriyama shooting jpg with a P&S

cogitech wrote:
How stupid of me!

Its ok, there is always a chance to learn.

Dec 05, 2012 at 02:55 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Diado Moriyama shooting jpg with a P&S

Ummm .... as a new FM member, first let me welcome you to FM.

But, unlike many internet forums, Fred has set forth that we conduct ourselves a bit differently from some of the incessant trolling that occurs elsewhere. Not to say that we aren't highly opinionated, defend our opinions and even a bit snarky with each other at times ... but we do strive to recognize our fellow members as fellow members. It's a different "line in the sand" ... and sometimes new members take a bit to get adjusted to it. We do like to poke fun at each other as well, and we have a wide range mixture of personalities ... but a few props to those that have been here for a while never hurt anyone too much.

That being said, Paul and Michael have been around here for many years. We've seen many new members feel that the ways they conduct themselves elsewhere will be strategically beneficial here ... but it truly isn't so. No blood, no foul (I see it's already been cleaned it up a bit) ... but lest one thinks that the fellow members that are well vested in FM don't carry any weight as to knowing proper conduct ... a simple nudge to recheck things can be in order for all of us from time to time.

Now ... back to the topic ... the link was broken.

Dec 05, 2012 at 03:24 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Diado Moriyama shooting jpg with a P&S

Exdsc wrote:
Its a homage to William Eggleston famous shower picture from Eggelston's Guide:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_O-XgEdwtq-M/TUiXDfWq8II/AAAAAAAAEPE/r9ZBBVJYAPw/s1600/Eggleston%2BGreen%2BShower%2BMemphis%2B1973.jpg

Homage, emulate or exploit ... they can appear similar to different people.

Dec 05, 2012 at 03:30 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Diado Moriyama shooting jpg with a P&S

Spyro P. wrote:
the cartoon-ish, broad-brush aesthetic of a p&s.

Exdsc wrote:
Do you have an example for this or you're just speaking out of basic amateur resentment of great photographers?

cogitech wrote:
Spyro just explained it.

Really? It doesn't look like the explanation was accepted. Exdsc is in love with the guy, and I think he's a hack.

Well, I shouldn't say "hack". I'm sure he enjoys taking pictures. And if he's been politically fortunate enough to do shows and sell stuff then more power to him. But there's nothing outstanding or even very interesting about his work IMO. Very run-of-mill average compact P&S guy with very average PS skills.

His speech is probably what got him where he is. He speaks like a sage.

mpmendenhall wrote:
Can't you tell from the first post that this is definitely not a thread for trolling?
Exdsc, a forum stalwart with a long standing reputation, just wanted to start a civilized conversation on the Alternative Gear and Lenses Forum about why people are silly for being obsessed about gear --- but then some upstart looking for trouble always wants to ruin things!

hehehe...

Dec 05, 2012 at 03:34 PM
redisburning
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Diado Moriyama shooting jpg with a P&S

As much as I LOVE his early works, I do not believe he could sell his modern work to Westerners if his name wasn't on it.

I don't understand how people can continue to come to FM, an overtly gear based forum, and cry about how our toys consume us and keep us from creating pictures. The reason people are here is because they enjoy actually taking photos. Daido hates taking photos but loves the photos themselves, or at least that's my impression after watching a few dvds and interviews about him.

At the end of the day, Daido is an old man in a Tokyo that is a very different place than it was 3 decades ago just like every major city. He has not adapted in the way I think people like Araki have and I think his work has really suffered for it. I don't buy his new books, they just disappoint me. I would rather just have the old ones. But even then, the new stuff doesn't diminish my fondness for his old material; just like Avatar hasn't ruined Terminator 2 for me.

Dec 05, 2012 at 03:41 PM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Diado Moriyama shooting jpg with a P&S

redisburning wrote:
...just like Avatar hasn't ruined Terminator 2 for me.

Pocahontas, FTW!

I didn't take this photo, so I am allowed to say I like it much better than pink bath water.

Dec 05, 2012 at 03:46 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Diado Moriyama shooting jpg with a P&S

Bifurcator wrote:
His speech is probably what got him where he is. He speaks like a sage.

Suggesting his imagery (i.e. bathtub, etc.) doesn't stand on its own merit to convey his message to viewers ...

Edited on Dec 05, 2012 at 03:50 PM · View previous versions

Dec 05, 2012 at 03:48 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Diado Moriyama shooting jpg with a P&S

Edited on Dec 06, 2012 at 02:50 PM · View previous versions

Dec 05, 2012 at 03:49 PM
Exdsc
• •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Diado Moriyama shooting jpg with a P&S

Bifurcator wrote:
Exdsc is in love with the guy,

I'm one of his loyal Samurai.

Dec 05, 2012 at 04:05 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Diado Moriyama shooting jpg with a P&S

Exdsc wrote:
According to Moriyama, everything is equivalent in front of a camera,

So then the world only needs one photo without a message or a point and all other photos are an "equivalent" duplicate meaningless image without a point, rendering his work all redundant and meaningless ...

Sounds to me like he should have stopped after his first picture, if he truly espouses such a philosophy. I'm not meaning to sound disrespectful ... but at "face value" as presented ...

Edited on Dec 05, 2012 at 04:16 PM · View previous versions

Dec 05, 2012 at 04:09 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Diado Moriyama shooting jpg with a P&S

redisburning wrote:
...just like Avatar hasn't ruined Terminator 2 for me.

cogitech wrote:
Pocahontas, FTW!
[url=http://images5.fanpop.com/image/photos/31200000/Real-Life-Pocahontas-childhood-animated-movie-heroines-31273310-467-700.jpg
I]http://images5.fanpop.com/image/photos/31200000/Real-Life-Pocahontas-childhood-animated-movie-heroines-31273310-467-700.jpg
I[/url] didn't take this photo, so I am allowed to say I like it much better than pink bath water.

No need to even go off site IMO. Check this sheet out: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1015017/0#9642823 Or really anything Thrice has posted here. And there's many other guys here that totally rock too!

Bifurcator wrote:
Exdsc is in love with the guy,

Exdsc wrote:
I'm one of his loyal Samurai.

Hehe...

Dec 05, 2012 at 04:12 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.