New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              16       17       end

Archive 2012 · Diado Moriyama shooting jpg with a P&S

Exdsc
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Diado Moriyama shooting jpg with a P&S

This video shows Diado Moriyama shooting with a P&S, which is a Nikon S9100 that only shoots jpg.

It makes one feel really silly to think how much obsession there is for gear and yet here is one of the best happily shooting with a jpg-only zoom P&S.

Dec 04, 2012 at 09:43 PM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Diado Moriyama shooting jpg with a P&S

It's just an aesthetic that he has chosen, the cartoon-ish, broad-brush aesthetic of a p&s. Previously, Daido M. was famous for shooting contrasty and grainy B&W in small format, then cropping it tiny and blowing it up to make it even grainier. Google images will show you many of them. Who knows, tomorrow he might have an inspiration that involves massive prints with tremendous detail, and he might switch to large format.

There's no right and wrong, you envisage what you want to do and then pick the tool that does it. The image is just a language of communication and there's no such thing as a better language. It depends who you want to talk to. You guys here are mostly landscape and cityscape shooters, it makes sense to be fussy about detail, because big prints and details are your language.

Dec 04, 2012 at 09:56 PM
thrice
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Diado Moriyama shooting jpg with a P&S

Spyro, I'm shooting a LF rangefinder now, you should get one

Dec 05, 2012 at 03:10 AM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Diado Moriyama shooting jpg with a P&S

I'm sold!
Anyone wanna trade me their Holga for my Canon 1DmkIV?

I liked what he had to say. His photos kinda sucked butt tho. Just my 2¢.

Dec 05, 2012 at 05:43 AM
Exdsc
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Diado Moriyama shooting jpg with a P&S

Spyro P. wrote:
It's just an aesthetic that he has chosen, the cartoon-ish, broad-brush aesthetic of a p&s. Previously, Daido M. was famous for shooting contrasty and grainy B&W in small format, then cropping it tiny and blowing it up to make it even grainier. Google images will show you many of them. Who knows, tomorrow he might have an inspiration that involves massive prints with tremendous detail, and he might switch to large format.

There's no right and wrong, you envisage what you want to do and then pick the tool that does it. The image is just a language
...Show more

The interesting bit is that being a famous photographer Moriyama often exhibits his images in galleries, which means that jpg-only P&S is sufficient for his needs.

Dec 05, 2012 at 09:04 AM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Diado Moriyama shooting jpg with a P&S

But when I print jpeg is not at all sufficient. So how is this discrepancy explained?

Dec 05, 2012 at 10:59 AM
cogitech
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Diado Moriyama shooting jpg with a P&S

Spyro just explained it.

Dec 05, 2012 at 11:03 AM
Exdsc
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Diado Moriyama shooting jpg with a P&S

Spyro P. wrote:
the cartoon-ish, broad-brush aesthetic of a p&s.

Do you have an example for this or you're just speaking out of basic amateur resentment of great photographers?

Go to his website and there is some example of his color work. http://www.moriyamadaido.com/english/#/gallery/

And I can assure you that those shots are freaking fantastic, especially from a guy who shot B&W most of his life.

Dec 05, 2012 at 11:15 AM
carlitos
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Diado Moriyama shooting jpg with a P&S

So, I went to his website, and the images look like those posted anywhere else on the web. A P&S would be sufficient for those images.

Now, not to start a flame war, but what is so great about those images? Composition is mediocre. Nothing special about the color. There are photographers on this forum that create better images.

Seriously, is there a rational explanation of why those are great images?

Dec 05, 2012 at 12:04 PM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Diado Moriyama shooting jpg with a P&S

carlitos wrote:
So, I went to his website, and the images look like those posted anywhere else on the web. A P&S would be sufficient for those images.

Now, not to start a flame war, but what is so great about those images? Composition is mediocre. Nothing special about the color. There are photographers on this forum that create better images.

Not that I can think of.

Dec 05, 2012 at 12:53 PM
alwang
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Diado Moriyama shooting jpg with a P&S

carlitos wrote:

I'm not familiar with his color photography, but I think his b&w stuff is fantastic. I can understand it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I do think you need to leave room for the possibility that sometimes there is no rational explanation for why a particular photographer's work really resonates with a particular audience.

Dec 05, 2012 at 01:07 PM
akul
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Diado Moriyama shooting jpg with a P&S

carlitos wrote:

One can say the same on any photographers. Ansel or Moriyama, it does not matter. If one sees beauty in one artist's work, that is all it takes. I like his work, and it is subjective.

Dec 05, 2012 at 01:27 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Diado Moriyama shooting jpg with a P&S

That and the fact that people can be very fickle, sometimes the mere "being different" or "going against convention" is what they are enamored by ... that in itself becomes the "rationale" for some ... moreover than a substantive explanation rooted in objectivity. Toss on the fact that I can change my mind about a piece this year different from how I felt about it ten years ago ... and yup, people can be fickle.

My fav is the bathtub ... I'd like to hear the "artist's message" for his inspiration / message / intent and what he expects the viewer to derive from the image. So far, I'm going ... "Yeah, so". Maybe I could be better enlightened, but it's not doing a whole lot for me on its own, atm.

Dec 05, 2012 at 01:42 PM
Exdsc
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Diado Moriyama shooting jpg with a P&S

RustyBug wrote:
My fav is the bathtub ... I'd like to hear the "artist's message" for his inspiration / message / intent and what he expects the viewer to derive from the image. So far, I'm going ... "Yeah, so". Maybe I could be better enlightened, but it's not doing a whole lot for me on its own, atm.

Its a homage to William Eggleston famous shower picture from Eggelston's Guide:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_O-XgEdwtq-M/TUiXDfWq8II/AAAAAAAAEPE/r9ZBBVJYAPw/s1600/Eggleston%2BGreen%2BShower%2BMemphis%2B1973.jpg

Edited on Dec 05, 2012 at 02:00 PM · View previous versions

Dec 05, 2012 at 01:59 PM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Diado Moriyama shooting jpg with a P&S

But, but, but the water is pinkurple!

Dec 05, 2012 at 02:00 PM
Exdsc
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Diado Moriyama shooting jpg with a P&S

cogitech wrote:
But, but, but the water is pinkurple!

right, its not "rational" and simplistic like all other rational and simplistic boring stuff that is killing photography...

Edited on Dec 05, 2012 at 02:02 PM · View previous versions

Dec 05, 2012 at 02:01 PM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Diado Moriyama shooting jpg with a P&S

Exdsc wrote:

Seriously?

They both suck.

Dec 05, 2012 at 02:02 PM
Exdsc
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Diado Moriyama shooting jpg with a P&S

cogitech wrote:
Seriously?

They both suck.

Could it be that your taste in photography sucks?

A possibility, worth exploring...

Dec 05, 2012 at 02:04 PM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Diado Moriyama shooting jpg with a P&S

I would rather have an opinion about a photo, than an opinion about another person's opinion about a photo.

Also, while both are entirely subjective, I think it is far more possible for a photo to objectively "suck", than for someone's personal tastes/preferences to objectively "suck".

Edited on Dec 05, 2012 at 02:14 PM · View previous versions

Dec 05, 2012 at 02:07 PM
mpmendenhall
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Diado Moriyama shooting jpg with a P&S

Exdsc wrote:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_O-XgEdwtq-M/TUiXDfWq8II/AAAAAAAAEPE/r9ZBBVJYAPw/s1600/Eggleston%2BGreen%2BShower%2BMemphis%2B1973.jpg

The whole "color" set shown is strongly photography-themed; photos of images, torn film, photo booths, references to other famous photographs, etc. It's essentially the self-referential, inside-jokes, lolcats-equivalent for the "modern art" photo scene.

Dec 05, 2012 at 02:11 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.