Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Why is the Fuji X100 still so expensive?

sdfreeland

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Why is the Fuji X100 still so expensive?

I was at a camera store and saw the new different mirrorless aps-c cameras. I don't understand why the old X100 is still being sold for around $800 new when you can spend a few hundred dollars extra and get the XE1, an m43 or NEX System, which have a higher megapixel count and interchangeable lenses. I can see that the X100 is slightly smaller, but with it's shortcomings is it really worth that price?

Dec 05, 2012 at 12:30 AM
rattymouse
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Why is the Fuji X100 still so expensive?

sdfreeland wrote:
I was at a camera store and saw the new different mirrorless aps-c cameras. I don't understand why the old X100 is still being sold for around $800 new when you can spend a few hundred dollars extra and get the XE1, an m43 or NEX System, which have a higher megapixel count and interchangeable lenses. I can see that the X100 is slightly smaller, but with it's shortcomings is it really worth that price?

Price the X-E1 with a lens and see how that works out.

The X100 is priced as it is because customers are paying that amount of money.

I have owned the X100 since it was first released 2 years ago (and paid $1600 for it) and it has easily been my most used camera. I'd do it all over again in a heart beat if I had to. Absolutely fantastic camera.

Dec 05, 2012 at 12:36 AM
Elroy
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Why is the Fuji X100 still so expensive?

Where have you seen the X100 for $800 new? It's $1199 here.

Dec 05, 2012 at 12:41 AM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Why is the Fuji X100 still so expensive?

The fact that the X100 has an f2 prime attached is what makes it a good deal, especially at only $800. I didn't realize the price had come down that much. Plus, don't underestimate the complexity and cost of the hybrid viewfinder. Making the XE1 or NEX cameras EVF-only is likely a much less expensive endeavor, and the X-Pro1 with a lens is quite a bit more expensive than $800.

Dec 05, 2012 at 12:41 AM
huddy
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Why is the Fuji X100 still so expensive?

Because it is still a highly competent camera that packs a lot into a small package. I'm torn between an XE-1 and and an X100, but the X100 would probably be a great body to work with while I wait for Fuji to sort out the raw conversion issues with Adobe.

Dec 05, 2012 at 12:59 AM
millsart
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Why is the Fuji X100 still so expensive?

Because it was a great value to start with

I've owned all 3 and the X100 is nothing like m4/3 or a NEX, the optical VF alone makes it a real stand out among current offerings.

XE-1 is nice as well, but there is no compact 35mm equiv lens for it yet, and when there is, the price will be higher, and your also using a EVF with no OVF option.

X100 is quite unique in giving a real OVF in a pretty compact package with a great lens thrown in to boot

Dec 05, 2012 at 02:10 AM
Exdsc
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Why is the Fuji X100 still so expensive?

The demand for Fuji X100 is the main factor. X100 does not sit in store shelves and keeps moving hence no need for price cutting. There was some discounted after Photokina but then the Xe-1 turned out to be a dud so the price of X100 went back up to its original.

Dec 05, 2012 at 03:00 PM
naturephoto1
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Why is the Fuji X100 still so expensive?

Exdsc wrote:
The demand for Fuji X100 is the main factor. X100 does not sit in store shelves and keeps moving hence no need for price cutting. There was some discounted after Photokina but then the Xe-1 turned out to be a dud so the price of X100 went back up to its original.

The X-E1 is not a dud.

Rich

Dec 05, 2012 at 03:02 PM
Exdsc
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Why is the Fuji X100 still so expensive?

naturephoto1 wrote:
The X-E1 is not a dud.

Rich

I agree, dud is not the right word. More like Xe-1 did not generate enough buzz and did not take away the potential X100 owners.

Dec 05, 2012 at 03:09 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Why is the Fuji X100 still so expensive?

Entirely because the x101 isn't out yet. When that gets releaseda month after , this will drop to 500 in the buy and sell forums.

Dec 05, 2012 at 03:49 PM
bigkidneys
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Why is the Fuji X100 still so expensive?

Exdsc wrote:
I agree, dud is not the right word. More like Xe-1 did not generate enough buzz and did not take away the potential X100 owners.

I personally think the biggest setback for both the Fuji X models in most eyes is the limited RAW support. There are plenty of cameras out there with slow AF that still sell on the forums not far off the MSRP. The X100 is a different sensor so it has full RAW support and offers the hybrid VF that no other camera has besides the other two Fujis. I think once they come out with good Raw support that most have access to (LR or Aperture) and don't have to make it a 6 step process to get a decent picture from raw, then the prices for the Xpro1 and XE1 will either go back up or retain most of their value like the X100. I didn't like how large the Xpro1 body was compared to the XE1 that I have now which is slightly larger than the X100. The limited Raw support never posed an issue with me as I was using an Olympus before getting the Xpro1 and XE1 and used jpeg quite a bit as it was less to process and the results were still good. Not selling any work and not a super pixel peeper so it didn't matter to me.

Dec 05, 2012 at 04:16 PM
justruss
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Why is the Fuji X100 still so expensive?

The reason is that at $800 to $1000 the camera is heavily discounted from what it originally sold for.

And because the XE/XPro w/ lenses cost more.

And because the X100 is smaller, hybrid viewfinder, and leaf shutter (in my mind, the MAIN selling point).

And because it looks so good (yes, particularly in this market niche, that counts... sadly).

I went with an XE for various reasons. But the X100 is a killer camera.

Dec 05, 2012 at 04:19 PM
mahiney

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Why is the Fuji X100 still so expensive?

isn't supply and demand supposed to work the other way around?
oh, I forgot, capitalism

i want the next X100 spawn

Dec 07, 2012 at 04:46 AM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Why is the Fuji X100 still so expensive?

I'd gladly pay $2k for it even now
It has no competition for all the reasons already mentioned.

Dec 07, 2012 at 05:41 AM
ssnap
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Why is the Fuji X100 still so expensive?

Once I sell my Canon gear I've considered getting an X100 but I'm afraid that they will release the X200 or something similar. The leafshutter and built in ND filter seem really appealing. If Fuji can release the 23mm 1.4 and 56mm 1.4 for the X mount then I'll pick those up first. I'm in love with my x-pro 1, it's an amazing camera just as I'm sure the X100 is.

Dec 08, 2012 at 02:19 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Why is the Fuji X100 still so expensive?

I see the X100 can be had NEW from very reputable stores for 549 now. Wow!

Dec 29, 2012 at 03:10 PM
Red 90
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Why is the Fuji X100 still so expensive?

I've had an M4/3 camera and found I really didn't like to use it as the controls and lack of viewfinder really hindered how I shot. I'm used to shooting with a DSLR, so I like the optical view finder. The Fuji X100 and XPro 1 are the only cameras that have this hybrid viewfinder. That viewfinder, the excellent sensor and nostalgic look is what people are paying for with this camera.

I find that this camera is more for the niche crowd rather than people looking for a point and shoot or even a dslr replacement. As a point and shoot the x100 has too many quirks to make this user friendly. You have to understand how the optical view finder works in conjunction with the autofocusing and manual controls to get good pictures out of it. The camera doesn't have interchangeable lenses, average autofocus speed and low battery capacity to really replace a dlsr.

However... if you know how to use it, it can be great for street photography. It's silent, inconspicuous and has great iq and high iso abilities. The camera excel at doing candid shots and conversion to b/w.

Jan 03, 2013 at 08:12 PM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Why is the Fuji X100 still so expensive?

Red 90 wrote:

However... if you know how to use it, it can be great for street photography. It's silent, inconspicuous and has great iq and high iso abilities. The camera excel at doing candid shots and conversion to b/w.

Yes, totally agree with you.

See this thread for some examples of where this camera can shine.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1178773

Jan 03, 2013 at 09:50 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password