Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Is SU-800 compatible with PhotoFlex Triton & SB-800?

2wheelterror
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Is SU-800 compatible with PhotoFlex Triton & SB-800?

Hello,

I have recently purchased a PhotoFlex Triton Strobe and plan to use it in conjunction with my 2 SB-800's. But, when I change (up or down) the intensity of any of the strobes using the SU-800 there seems to be no change. Thus, is my SU-800 working? Or, am I missing something?

I am in manual mode (camera, flashes).

All lights are triggered wirelessly via Pocket Wizards (Flex TT5) attached to each light source. The PhotoFlex has a sync cable running from PW Flex TT5 to light. And, the Flex TT5 uses my SB-800's hotshoe. On my camera I have, top down, SU-800, followed by PW Flex Mini TT1 on hotshoe of my camera.

I have a photoshoot in 2 weeks and have set up my equipment ahead of time so I can learn how to use and set everything up and look like I know what am I doing.

The flashes are being triggered however, when I go to change my light intensity (whether it's the PhotoFlex or the SB's) nothing seems to happen. It doesn't matter whether I go full power or 1/128 nothing seems to work. Also, I did mention that the flashes are being triggered but a few times they didn't flash. Batteries are all new and/or charged up on all units.

I'm using a standard set up: ISO 200, f5.6, 1/125. For the moment my main light (PhotoFlex) is to the camera left, one SB-800 camera light as a fill light and other SB rim light. I'm just experimenting for the moment.

I'm sure I must be missing a step here but again, when I go to change the intensity of the light via the SU-800 nothing changes. I would ideally like to stay around aperture of f5.6 as I will need some details in the photo but don't want too sharp of a background.

I am fairly new to indoor studio work as most of my work is done outdoors catching action sports with my 2 SB's. I bought the PhotoFlex to help me on sunnier days.

The photo shoot I have in 2 weeks is of my friends musician son and I would like to be able to control the light to put him mostly in shadow with a dark background.

Again, is it me that's doing something wrong or is the SU-800 not compatible with two different lighting systems. In which case, what do I do?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks a heap!!

Dec 04, 2012 at 06:21 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Is SU-800 compatible with PhotoFlex Triton & SB-800?

2wheelterror wrote:
...is the SU-800 not compatible with two different lighting systems. In which case, what do I do?

The SU-800 cannot control non-Nikon-compatible units; it's for controling Speedlights only.

To change the power of remote Speedlights using the MiniTT1 I'm pretty sure you need the AC-3 Zone Controller.

I don't know if the TT1 and/or AC-3 are compatible with the Triton strobes, but I doubt it. There are modules for Elinchrom (PowerST4), Einstein (PowerMC2), and Alien Bees (AC9), but that's it as far as I know.

If you use manual flash power you can use your Pocket Wizards as simple sync triggers, and change the power of the lights by hand. Not real convenient, but it's reliable.

If you have two weeks to practice, you can make notes of what various settings will look like, and use those settings on the day.

Good luck!

Dec 04, 2012 at 07:58 PM
2wheelterror
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Is SU-800 compatible with PhotoFlex Triton & SB-800?

Now why didn't I think of that! Sometimes the most obvious answer is the simplest.

Brian, thanks for much for your help. I will email PW tomorrow and ask them if they know if the PhotoFlex Triton is compatible with their system. If it is, I might just have an SU-800 up for sale and I'll buy the AC-3 zone controller.

When I'm out in the field I would really prefer not having to manually turn the knob on the Triton as I'm usually out deep in the woods and with bikes flying past me. Not too interested in getting hit.

Time to start practising and yes, agreed I plan on writing down the settings that I like!

Cheers,

Cecile

Dec 04, 2012 at 09:31 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Is SU-800 compatible with PhotoFlex Triton & SB-800?

2wheelterror wrote:
...When I'm out in the field I would really prefer not having to manually turn the knob on the Triton as I'm usually out deep in the woods and with bikes flying past me. Not too interested in getting hit.

One option would be to adjust the "power" of the remote Triton by changing your camera's ISO setting, and then adjusting an on-camera Speedlight as needed. That doesn't cover a third light, though.

Dec 04, 2012 at 09:54 PM
2wheelterror
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Is SU-800 compatible with PhotoFlex Triton & SB-800?

Good point. But, I'd like my 3rd SB to be used as a rim light.

Dec 04, 2012 at 09:57 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Is SU-800 compatible with PhotoFlex Triton & SB-800?

2wheelterror wrote:
...I'd like my 3rd SB to be used as a rim light.

I think that if you get the AC-3 Controller you can set the Triton to one channel and each Speedlight to the other two. You can then use ISO setting to adjust the exposure of the Triton (since you can't change its output via the PWs) and then remotely adjust the power of the Speedlights as needed.

I'd check with PW to see about mixing sync-only and ControlTL lights, but I'm pretty sure it's possible.

Dec 06, 2012 at 08:16 PM
2wheelterror
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Is SU-800 compatible with PhotoFlex Triton & SB-800?

I contacted PhotoFlex directly and they aren't positive but have the word out and am trying to find more info for me. I think I'm going to go back to the shop that I bought the Triton at, and have them hook up some PW's (AC-3, Flex TT5, TT1) and sort it out there. If it doesn't work than I will try what you have recommended.

Why can't things be easy? I know they technology is there.

Thanks again for your help

Dec 06, 2012 at 09:50 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.