New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · 4x6 softbox?

jzucker
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 4x6 softbox?

Looking for a 4x6 softbox. Looking at creativelight, Don't think I want to spend the dough on the larson.

Has anyone used the Buff 3x5? Looking at that as well since the other buff softboxes I have are fantastic and I love the way they collapse like an umbrella.

Wish there was a 4x6 that worked the same way.

What are you guys using?

Dec 04, 2012 at 03:04 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 4x6 softbox?

Update, looks like the Denny Mfg. Softbox folds like an umbrella. http://www.dennymfg.com/ProductDetailsNew1.aspx?PId=465bf743-f3f5-4b13-845a-1c32bf6aca11&PTId=a49b9a28-32db-4529-b199-81bcb86d2c04

Not sure the quality though. Hard to tell in the video but it looks to be less substantially made than the recent buff softboxes which are built like tanks.

Dec 04, 2012 at 03:06 PM
kenyee
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 4x6 softbox?

jzucker wrote:
Has anyone used the Buff 3x5?

If you do get it, put a safety line in or use Tetrode's bolt/wingnut through the umbrella mount safety.

That's a lot of weight to hang on any mounting system...it really should have a spigot lightstand mount instead...

Dec 04, 2012 at 04:00 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 4x6 softbox?

cool, thanks.

Something like this I assume? http://www.paulcbuff-techforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2520&hilit=if+you&start=10

Dec 04, 2012 at 04:10 PM
PeterBerressem
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 4x6 softbox?

I'd like to make you aware of the RimeLite (distributed in the US by Dynalite). They are of phantastic built, strong rods, sturdy lining. At $ 315 the price is also nice.
www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/750867-REG/Dynalite_RBRR_5679_Octagon_Box_from_Rime.html

Dec 04, 2012 at 04:26 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 4x6 softbox?

The rimelite doesn't fold like an umbrella does it? I have a 3x4' softbox that's a real pain to setup because it just uses regular rods. I would imagine the 4x6 is a killer.

This is the (non umbrella style) 4x6 I was looking at as a cheaper alternative.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/728174-REG/Creative_Light_100817_4x6_Recessed_Front_Softbox.html

Dec 04, 2012 at 04:36 PM
Ektar25
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 4x6 softbox?

The Buff foldable is built & works well on its own, but if you attach the optional grid to the front it tends to go out of shape a bit. The large buff Octabox is superior to the 30"x60".

Dec 04, 2012 at 04:36 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 4x6 softbox?

Ektar25 wrote:
The Buff foldable is built & works well on its own, but if you attach the optional grid to the front it tends to go out of shape a bit. The large buff Octabox is superior to the 30"x60".

What do you mean by superior? I'm looking for a larger/softer light coverage. I really would like a 4x6. Are you saying the 48" buff octa is larger / softer than the 30x60?

Dec 04, 2012 at 04:43 PM
tedwca
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 4x6 softbox?

I believe he is saying the octa holds its shape better than the 4x6 when a grid is used. I don't see anything to imply softer/larger in his post.

Dec 04, 2012 at 04:56 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 4x6 softbox?

oh, ok. I wouldn't be putting a grid on a softbox that large.

Dec 04, 2012 at 05:12 PM
ravisrajan
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 4x6 softbox?

Brackets for Einstein/Alien Bee to AB folding modifiers from Kacey enterprise, looks very impressive, I am thinking of getting one, along with PCB large soft box.
http://www.kaceyenterprises.com/?page_id=1054

Dec 04, 2012 at 08:04 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 4x6 softbox?

ravisrajan wrote:
Brackets for Einstein/Alien Bee to AB folding modifiers from Kacey enterprise, looks very impressive, I am thinking of getting one, along with PCB large soft box.
http://www.kaceyenterprises.com/?page_id=1054

It seems like a lot of money. I like the threaded rod approach too and it's cheap. And the other consideration is that Buff has improved the mounting mechanism over time and the spring strength and cast fingers on the new Einsteins is VERY sturdy. Grip is much better than the original alien bees I used to have.

Dec 04, 2012 at 08:16 PM
aborr
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 4x6 softbox?

Long time Photoflex LiteDome user. I have various sizes, and lots of accessories like grids and louvers.

Good even light, predictable color, and they hold up pretty well over time.
They're probably not as durable as high end stuff like Chimera, but I've got LiteDomes that are 7 or 8 years old that are still fine.
Photoflex has great customer service - they'll supply replacement parts for pretty much anything they've ever made at a reasonable cost.

I haven't used any of the folding brands - Photoflex rectangular boxes are traditional "stick the rods in the yoke to assemble" style. The small ones (3x4 and smaller) go together really fast; the 4x6 takes more time and care. I prefer to roll my baffles and diffusers for storage so they don't wrinkle, so I'm not sure if a folding design would save me much time.

Al

Dec 04, 2012 at 11:33 PM
photobear
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 4x6 softbox?

It's not a 4x6 softbox, but my new go-to large, soft light source is the Buff 86" soft silver umbrella with a front diffuser. The light is first bounced off the umbrella and then diffused by the front fabric. Beautiful light, very soft because of its size, perfect round catchlights. Sets up and tears down extremely quickly (it's an umbrella!). Cost is a whopping $100.

Dec 05, 2012 at 10:11 AM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 4x6 softbox?

I have their 86" translucent umbrella. Might be a bit big for my space. I wonder how the 64" soft silver setup with front fabric compares to a 4x6?

Dec 05, 2012 at 10:16 AM
photobear
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 4x6 softbox?

The diameter of the 86" (as you know since you have the translucent) is actually 6' from top to bottom, and not very deep, so I'm still able to use it in some pretty tight locations. Makes a great fake window light.

I also have the 60" photek softlighter for when I want to have the light coming from a higher angle (can't raise the 86" very high in rooms with an 8' ceiling, although you can table-top it if the subject is seated). I'm going to replace the Photek with the Buff 64" because the buff is easier to use (the Photek has a small elastic sock for a front opening on the diffuser, whereas the Buff has a larger opening with a drawstring closure), and I may even get the Buff 53" for headshots in very tight locations. Most of the time though, I'm able to use the 86".

Since softness is determined solely by the size of the light source in relation to the subject, the 86" will actually be softer than a 4x6 softbox. Just a different shape catchlight, and slightly more control with the box although I've found the soft silver doesn't have much spill to the sides, so I still get pretty good control.

Dec 05, 2012 at 10:29 AM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 4x6 softbox?

thanks for the info. I didn't realize the 86" umbrella was only 6" wide. Maybe i'll give the soft silver a try. Can't beat the price or convenience.

Dec 05, 2012 at 10:43 AM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 4x6 softbox?

Photobear, have you measured the light falloff at the edges of the umbrella compared to the center? I wonder how the 30x60 compares?

Dec 06, 2012 at 03:43 PM
Cphoto1954
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 4x6 softbox?

After shooting for close to 30 years I must say I was extremly supprised at how soft the light from the PCB Einsten's looked shot through a normal (32") white umbrella. My guess is that it's due to the glass dome which helps spread the light evenly. I have three units and just love the quality of light they give.

Dec 06, 2012 at 05:19 PM
aborr
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 4x6 softbox?

Horses for courses.

You can't beat a big round "brollybox" - umbrella with front diffuser - like the Photek or Buff - if what you need is a big broad wash of soft light.

IMHO, a tall, narrower softbox gives you a better options for some subjects, especially for lighting a single full-length model. It's easy to vary the way the light 'feathers' around your subject's curves by increasing or decreasing the horizontal angle of the box to the model. Even in a huge shooting space, it's pretty hard to get that kind of control over horizontal falloff with a big round modifier.

Dec 06, 2012 at 05:29 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.