Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · A cappella peformance

cphoniball
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A cappella peformance

One from a student group performance yesterday. All thoughts are welcome.

http://christopherhoniball.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/mel007-147.jpg

Dec 04, 2012 at 06:40 PM
honorerdieu
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A cappella peformance

Just awesome. My first reaction was, this photo is unlike many others I've seen. It breaks the rules of composition somewhat, but works so well. I like the emotional impact of the photo. He's isolated in all that negative space but he's just as powerful through that performance.

Dec 04, 2012 at 07:15 PM
honorerdieu
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A cappella peformance

I took a quick glance at your portfolio on your website. Epic work! I like the other version of this photo in black and white with the audience watching his performance.

Dec 04, 2012 at 07:17 PM
ChiShutter
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A cappella peformance

Very cool. Love the negative space and the tight cone of light.

Dec 04, 2012 at 07:17 PM
cphoniball
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A cappella peformance

Thanks honorerdieu! The two photos are actually from two different performances - that one on my site was from last year, and this was from just yesterday. Funny how similar they look, huh?

Dec 04, 2012 at 07:20 PM
qwyjibo
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A cappella peformance

Very cool, really liking the negative space and interesting comp.
Dave

Dec 04, 2012 at 10:42 PM
Eskiula

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A cappella peformance

Strong image. I like it a lot!

Dec 05, 2012 at 01:12 AM
bbourizk
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · A cappella peformance

A super image

Dec 05, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · A cappella peformance

When a crop is unusual, it becomes interesting.

I like how this one turned out, although my own sense is that some should come off the top.

Maybe I say this because I usually try to have the distance from the model to the right (or left) edge of the frame the same as the distance from the top (or bottom). It just seems a tad more balanced when I do that.

Also adding to the attraction of the picture is his strong expressions.

Well done!

Dec 05, 2012 at 01:01 PM
deinfaces
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · A cappella peformance

Great! Love the black.

Dec 05, 2012 at 01:51 PM
Miker2
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · A cappella peformance

cool shot...like your use of space

Dec 05, 2012 at 01:55 PM
Steady Hand
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · A cappella peformance

Howdy,

My comments or suggestions below are not a criticism of you, your model, your talent or skill. I offer them in a friendly tone of voice and with the sole intent to help you with a second POV and set of eyes. If you read sincere questions and simple suggestions as "criticism" of you, then you will miss how I am trying to help you.

Of course this may be your own "style" or your own "vision" and I suppose we can assume that the images look just like they do because that is exactly how you like them. That is OK too. It just shows that there are differences of "opinion" on what looks good. IF these are exactly what you want and like, then by all means continue making your images look like that and have fun doing it. I can only speak for myself and what I do or do not find appealing in the posted photos. As I always say: "Follow your own muse."

Just to show you that different viewers will have a different "take" or view of the very same image...

I like expressive photos.

This one has a good expression of a singer singing. That is good.

I don't like the way the image shows just a head and arms floating in black (like a "floating head" photo).

So, in my opinion, it is "too much black" or too much burning in around the figure. I would prefer to see more of the figure (even if is shadow tones or dark midtones).

I hope these honest comments help you. And remember, I know that others like it as it is and praised it...I am only giving you another view.

Dec 05, 2012 at 05:22 PM
cphoniball
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · A cappella peformance

Thanks Steady, I appreciate the other viewpoint.

For what it's worth, I'm surprised this has received such a positive reaction so far - in the past when I've posted nontraditional photos, the forum hasn't been very receptive.

Also since you mentioned burning in around the subject, I shot this through a small hole in some speakers that were in front of the stage. This is pretty much how the photo looked out of camera, I just applied my normal preset and sharpened it.

Dec 05, 2012 at 06:10 PM
brianclary
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · A cappella peformance

Use of space in this one is great.

Dec 06, 2012 at 02:21 PM
Ravitej
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · A cappella peformance

Great for commercial application. All that space. I would make him just a tad larger on the page and add a single line of copy in something like helvetica light or thin. Run the line from him to a little distance from the right frame. Could be something like the name of the concert. But make it very simple white in a single line.

Dec 06, 2012 at 04:32 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password