Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Two girls and a dog

joesfotosite

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Two girls and a dog

A three light setup from a recent shoot. Comments appreciated as always.

Dec 04, 2012 at 03:51 PM
Creativesnaps
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Two girls and a dog

I don't think the lighting works great with them especially the woman @ camera right, as the shadows under her cheeks is to much IMO. Also their teeth (brightness) overpowers their eyes. Even though the eyes have catch lights they still look dull.

Dec 04, 2012 at 05:23 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Two girls and a dog

Yep, agree with creativesnaps on the lighting. I think the main light is set too high. The person on our right has deep inset eye sockets, which makes it a little more difficult to get the light into. The dog's eyeballs tend to protrude out of the socket, and thus he has great catchlights and good lighting to his eyes.

Dec 04, 2012 at 05:45 PM
joesfotosite

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Two girls and a dog

Teeth were actually untouched. They're just super white from good dental care.

So lower main light camera left or add a reflector in front slightly below the subjects is what you would've done?

Dec 04, 2012 at 06:23 PM
honorerdieu
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Two girls and a dog

Lighting looks good to me. For three portrait subjects, a main light over them is what I would've done to avoid having one blocked by lighting from come from the side.

The deep eye sockets may look unattractive, but I don't think this photo should be tossed because of that.

Dec 04, 2012 at 07:05 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Two girls and a dog

Presuming you were using a modifier like a softbox on the main light, I would have the bottom of the softbox in line with their chin. Adding a reflector below them, as you might for a beauty shot, wouldn't work here with the dog there, and isn't necessary. Just lower the main light, and I think it will do wonders for you.

Dec 04, 2012 at 10:00 PM
joesfotosite

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Two girls and a dog

Correct, I used a Paul C. Buff 64" soft silver PLM umbrella with the white diffusion fabric as a softbox camera left for the main light. Camera right was a 36" Westcott reflecting umbrella and I added a speedlight behind the subjects at 1/32 power set at wide angle.

Originally the subjects were standing but then I seated them to get the dog in the shot but forgot to lower the lights.

Thanks for the feedback all, will definitely make a note of adjusting the lights up and down as necessary next time I shoot.

Love the FM boards, I always learn something new on this forum.

Dec 04, 2012 at 10:12 PM
honorerdieu
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Two girls and a dog

joesfotosite wrote:
Correct, I used a Paul C. Buff 64" soft silver PLM umbrella with the white diffusion fabric as a softbox camera left for the main light. Camera right was a 36" Westcott reflecting umbrella and I added a speedlight behind the subjects at 1/32 power set at wide angle.

Originally the subjects were standing but then I seated them to get the dog in the shot but forgot to lower the lights.

Thanks for the feedback all, will definitely make a note of adjusting the lights up and down as necessary next time I shoot.

Love the FM boards, I always
...Show more

What did the subjects' eyes look like when they were standing closer to the main light overhead? Did you see a difference when they sat down?

Dec 04, 2012 at 10:23 PM
joesfotosite

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Two girls and a dog

I need to go back through and take a closer look. I can post one here for comparison. I literally just loaded them into Lightroom late Sunday night and picked this one out randomly to process so I could upload here for some CC.

I'll select one where the subjects are standing and post to this thread contrast the differences. I suspect the difference will be subtle but definitely noticeable.

Dec 04, 2012 at 10:36 PM

davenfl
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Two girls and a dog

Totally concur on the lighting but frankly the use of BW with greatly magnify even a small mistake and make the eye shadows horrid, spend some time and take it to color. A little dodge and burn with color will make a world of difference. Dark haired woman with dark clothes and dark makeup and you choose BW, no not a good choice IMO.

Dave

Dec 04, 2012 at 10:47 PM
joesfotosite

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Two girls and a dog

Okay, here are more from the same shoot for comparison. The first one is the same as the original post before conversion into a BW. The next two are with the subjects standing, one in color and one with the same BW processing as the others.

Let me know what you think of the lighting with the subjects standing as opposed to them sitting.

Dec 05, 2012 at 03:15 AM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Two girls and a dog

Look at the difference in the catchlights in their eyes, and how their eyes were lit, standing vs. sitting. So much better standing when the lights were at the right level. Hey, it was a good lesson for you and a fun discussion for all of us. The shots of them standing look good.

Dec 05, 2012 at 04:48 AM
joesfotosite

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Two girls and a dog

Agreed, and thanks to all for the great feedback. Was a good lesson learned and something I wouldn't have noticed on my own.

Dec 05, 2012 at 05:37 AM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Two girls and a dog

#1 & #2. Another thing to notice here is the crop and where it ends at the bottom of the frame. We see a slice of his knee, half of he dog's paws and a tiny bit of her midriff and white undershirt. It looks a little "unplanned".

#3. & #4 Good expression is these two. Again the crop is my complaint. I find it goes down too far and the viewer's eye follows his tie right out of the frame. Cropping off some of the bottom of the frame is what I suggest. Of course that ruins your ratios for standard size prints.

Dec 05, 2012 at 12:50 PM
michael kilner
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Two girls and a dog

Jim,pretty sure your he is a she

Dec 05, 2012 at 03:24 PM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Two girls and a dog

michael kilner wrote:
Jim,pretty sure your he is a she

Sorry - typo. Gotta type slowwwer.

Dec 05, 2012 at 04:56 PM
joesfotosite

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Two girls and a dog

Will pay attention to the cropping too as advised.

Yes, both of the subjects are female...

Dec 05, 2012 at 08:02 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password