Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · First test with studio strobes for on-location work

Dneufarth
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · First test with studio strobes for on-location work

Very nicely done Russ. It demonstrates that a little effort and planning go a long way.

Dec 30, 2012 at 02:11 PM
Steve Wylie
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · First test with studio strobes for on-location work

You did very well here. I didn't offer any comments prior to your shoot, but I will here. I think Ron's comment was most appropriate: don't over-plan for it. You wound up using speedlights rather than monolights and achieved the desired results using small flash. You learned (or maybe you already knew and effectively used) how to expose properly for the ambient room light and bring in just enough flash. Most of us struggle with this, and when we get it right, we call it success.

So what's next? Focus on the minor details. Here are some I noticed. They're offered as simply one guy's perspective:

Image 1: Eyes up. Look at the difference between her gaze in the first photo and the second. Which is better? Also, If I were you, I'd go back into Photoshop and put a bit of sparkle into the pendant. Not enough to highlight it (at the expense of your daughter), but just to give it a twinkle. (This is really a minor detail.)

Image 2: Hands on hips pose, while looking off-camera and out of frame. This pose makes her look somewhat defiant, and we don't see why. I'd also remove the portion of lampshade in the upper right. More importantly, the back light is stronger than the key. This is, from my perspective, the only real problem in any of these shots (to show you how minor the other issues are...). You've done so well with your key flash exposure in these two photos that they almost look like window light. So a stronger back light calls attention to itself.

Image 3: Love it. See the spark on the pendant? The only thing I might do is tone down the leading edge of the couch arm and the highlighted area of her lap at the bottom of the frame.

Image 4: Love this one, too. What about a non-standard crop that takes out much of the foreground below her shoes, especially most of the foreground unlit poinsettias?

Altogether, though, a very good set of images. Well done.

Dec 30, 2012 at 05:25 PM
       end

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password