Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Lunch Stop View on the Queen Charlotte Track, New Zealand

anakha
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Lunch Stop View on the Queen Charlotte Track, New Zealand

The Queen Charlotte Track is a 71km hiking trail at the northern tip of New Zealand's South Island (near Picton - nearest international airport is Wellington, a lovely ferry ride away).

A few weeks ago, I did a 24.5km (15miles) hike in 8 hours along the steepest section of it. Even though the weather was perfect and it wasn't too warm, I was rather exhausted by the end (not helped by the large blisters that formed on the backs of each heel about 5km (3miles) in, nor by having done 15km (9mi) of sea kayaking the day before). I've hiked previously in those boots in South America and Africa without problems :-(

Carrying my 5D3, 27-40F4 and tripod was quite an effort, though I did re-purpose my Gitzo 3542LS as a walking stick on a few sections. The mail boat was coming to pick us up at 4:30pm, so we had to hike hard or pay a fortune to hire a water taxi to get back to our hostel if we missed it. I can recommend the Tombstone Backpackers in Picton - more of a flashpackers than a hostel, with great staff :-)

I did get some time to take a few photos during the first half of the hike - perhaps that's why we had to rush the second half.

Here is one of the stitched panoramas I took. This is during the middle of the day whilst we ate a hurried lunch, so not the best light, but I didn't have time to camp out overnight to get the best mood lighting ;-) Maybe next time!

Please let me know what you think - this is heavily re-sized for uploading. The full version is 10360px wide :-)

Anakha

anakha 2012

View of the Queen Charlotte Sound from the Queen Charlotte Track

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    EF17-40mm f/4L USM lens    21mm    f/8.0    1/160s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Edited on Dec 05, 2012 at 07:54 AM · View previous versions

Dec 04, 2012 at 10:27 AM
teked
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · Lunch Stop View on the Queen Charlotte Track, New Zealand

What a beautiful scene, Anakha. Nicely done. Glad you made it back on time.

Cheers,
Ed

Dec 04, 2012 at 12:36 PM
douter
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Lunch Stop View on the Queen Charlotte Track, New Zealand

Excellent use of topography. Well seen!
Douglas

Dec 04, 2012 at 12:38 PM
anakha
• •
p.1 #4 · Lunch Stop View on the Queen Charlotte Track, New Zealand

Thanks Ed.

Dec 04, 2012 at 09:59 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

anakha
• •
p.1 #5 · Lunch Stop View on the Queen Charlotte Track, New Zealand

Thanks Douglas. That whole area has beautiful topography. The Sounds result from the tectonic pressures which have shaped New Zealand. Most of the South Island is rising upwards, but the Sounds at the northern tip of the South Island have been forced downwards, gradually drowning river valleys to create the beautiful landscape we see today.

Anakha

douter wrote:
Excellent use of topography. Well seen!
Douglas

Dec 04, 2012 at 10:01 PM
sachman
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · Lunch Stop View on the Queen Charlotte Track, New Zealand

beautiful greens and blues!

Dec 05, 2012 at 05:14 AM
anakha
• •
p.1 #7 · Lunch Stop View on the Queen Charlotte Track, New Zealand

Thanks Sachman - I didn't amp up the colours in post-processing. This is quite representative of what it looked like to the naked eye.

Anakha

sachman wrote:
beautiful greens and blues!

Dec 05, 2012 at 07:55 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password