Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2012 · Do you make or use custom film presets?

Emacs
• •
Account locked
p.3 #1 · Do you make or use custom film presets?

I'm using DxO FilmPack (via both Photoshop plugin/standalone and in DxO Optics). I quite like the results, it usually works great, especially in hard lightning conditions, here's an example (Provia 100F emulation on the right applied to the image on the left):

It usually gives an image more punch. A couple of examples:

Edited on Dec 05, 2012 at 06:52 PM · View previous versions

Dec 05, 2012 at 06:31 PM
AhamB
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · Do you make or use custom film presets?

I liked some of these (free) Kodachrome presets for LR: http://x-equals.com/blog/in-memoriam-kodachrome-1935-%E2%80%93-2010/

Dec 05, 2012 at 06:45 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #3 · Do you make or use custom film presets?

Here is a comparison of a standard LR4 version (with the strong contrast curve) vs. my film-ish variation. The film-ish version is based off of VSCO's Portra 160 NC preset in their 2nd film pack, although I tweaked color and other things to make my own preset. There are obviously some tone/curve differences, but the biggest difference to me is the color (especially in the grass,) which I don't necessarily prefer to be technically accurate. I prefer blues to have a little more cyan, like some films. Both pics have the same white balance, shot with M9 and 50 Summicron:

regular LR4:

film-ish preset in LR:

I think both look pretty good, just a little different. I can't say that the second image looks like film, per se, but I do prefer it to the standard LR4 rendering.

p.s. neither of these images has any "clarity" slider added.

Dec 05, 2012 at 07:05 PM
sebboh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #4 · Do you make or use custom film presets?

douglasf13 wrote:
I think both look pretty good, just a little different. I can't say that the second image looks like film, per se, but I do prefer it to the standard LR4 rendering.

agreed. i'm not really looking to make my pictures look completely like film, in fact i tend to process my film shots after scanning in a way that often takes them further from what many people consider classic film looks. what interests me most is matching the tone curves of film and to a lessor degree the colors. i do have a hard time getting purples and reds to look like they can on some films - deep yet not overly saturated.

AhamB wrote:
I liked some of these (free) Kodachrome presets for LR: http://x-equals.com/blog/in-memoriam-kodachrome-1935-%E2%80%93-2010/

thanks, i'll take a look at those.

Dec 05, 2012 at 07:19 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password