Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Anyone have the new Hoodman 16gb 1000x !!!

oldnslow

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Anyone have the new Hoodman 16gb 1000x !!!

I am posting this for my daughter and son-in-law!!

Hello All!

Does anyone have the new Hoodman RAW Steel 16gb CF cards? Since this company has a reputation for their cards being "Made in USA", last week I just purchased 2 new 16gb RAW Steel CF cards (from Adorama) and to my dismay it says "Made in Taiwan" and "Tested in the USA".

If you do have one of these cards, does it say that on your card? Have you experienced any issues with these new cards?

The reason I ask is because since these are brand new, I used them in a photoshoot over the weekend, and I uploaded them to my computer as I always do(used USB 3 raw steel card reader, and copy them to the hard drive, I dont use a program to upload), then uploaded them into Lightroom 3 and on every single photo I get the error message "An unexpected end-of-file occured". And there's all these colored lines on the photos. I didn't do anything different in my workflow (taking pics to post-processing) except use these new cards. I have the previous generation of Hoodman RAW cards and had great success.

This makes me think that the cards are corrupted or I need to upgrade to Lightroom 4(but that shouldn't matter too much). Regardless I need to get these files off the cards since it was a paid shoot.

I will be calling Hoodman and Adorama today.

Has anyone experienced this issue? Please help!

Dec 03, 2012 at 02:45 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Anyone have the new Hoodman 16gb 1000x !!!

Have you tried a different card reader?

Hoodman is just a brand name. I'm not sure who manufactures the cards.

I would never use a new card for anything important until testing it with 3 full write/read/compare/erase cycles.

EBH

Dec 03, 2012 at 06:47 PM
JayRustle

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Anyone have the new Hoodman 16gb 1000x !!!

I believe it is the RAW Steel reader. I have the same reader and frequently have the same issue with my MacBook Pro Retina and 32 GB SanDisk Extreme UDMA 60 MB/s CF cards I've used without issue with a Lexar reader for years. I've updated the firmware on the Hoodman reader and it will still randomly give that error and the files will all appear corrupted even just copying them in Finder. However, if I use my Lexar FW800 reader the files are magically fixed. Speed is great with the Hoodman reader but I can't depend on it and it's now a $50 paperweight. And yes, I'll be contacting Hoodman.

Dec 13, 2012 at 05:03 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Anyone have the new Hoodman 16gb 1000x !!!

RAW Steel; the name made me cringe. I'd stay away.

Dec 19, 2012 at 02:15 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.