Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · 600ex RT's anyone use them for gym Strobes?

Ralph Thompson
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 600ex RT's anyone use them for gym Strobes?

I just picked up a pair of 600EX RT's and have an ST-E3 coming in the mail this week. Has anyone used this setup for gym strobes?

Ralph

Dec 03, 2012 at 06:58 PM
Carl Auer
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 600ex RT's anyone use them for gym Strobes?

Ralph,

When I started strobing I used a 550ex, a 420ex and and a ST-E2. Actually, I should say, I attempted to use that combo. The range of the ST-E2 was horrible. I know the range of the ST-E3 is like 4 times better because of the radio transmitter built in, but that is in ideal situations. Your real world range will change from gym to gym, location to location. I do not know if the E3 needs direct line of site since it has the radio transmitter, but that was another drawback of the E2, your transmitter needed to be able to see the flashes in order for them to work. A better option for the same price of the E3 would be three PocketWizard III's or PW PlusII's.

Dec 03, 2012 at 08:23 PM
Ralph Thompson
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 600ex RT's anyone use them for gym Strobes?

Thanks Carl,

I like you have used everything under the sun; 550's, 580's, 285's ebay tiggers, PW's etc....

My current set up is a set of Lumedynes which really work well. My first thought is, "If it aint broke don't fix it". But that's a huge amount of gear. I blew up a couple 580's a few weeks back and bought a pair of 600's & an st-e3 (for other stuff I shoot too). Was just wondering if anyone's tried them yet... All the instructions say no LOS required, with a 100'+ range. Everyting sounds like it'd work and It would be a lot less gear, not to mention the "possiblity" of ETTL. Looks like I may be the first! You'd better bet my PW plus II's will be in the ready though!

Dec 03, 2012 at 09:46 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password