p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Reuters photography EXIF analysis

Very interesting

Dec 03, 2012 at 09:34 PM
fraga
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Reuters photography EXIF analysis

thw2 wrote:
The stats prove that despite having just a single cross AF sensor, the 5D2 is still a highly capable camera that can be used in high stress situations. Despite all the banding, limited dynamic range talk, Canon gear is still good in the right hands. No, it's not about gear... it's about photos and the person behind the camera.

thw2, please note this is not directed specifically at you, though I used a quote from your post.
It's generally directed at all the people who claim it's ALL about the man behind the camera, like if the gear does not matter (not saying you claimed that).

Of course canon gear is still good in the right hands.
That does mean that in some cases, some canon gear has some shortcomings (like all the other brands do).
In these cases, the photographer will have to work harder to work around the shortcomings.
If they weren't there in the first place, it would be easier for him.
It won't make him a better photographer, but it will make it easier for him to get better results.
And, in some cases (though rare they may be), to get results that lesser gear would not allow HIM to achieve in a SPECIFIC situation.

Yes, we all acknowledge that a better photographer can and will in most situations take (far) better pictures with lesser gear than a lesser photographer with better gear.

But what matters to the individual is... the individual itself.
Case in point: I have camera X. Camera Y comes out and it's better AND easier to use (being better does not mean it's easier to get better results from it, sometimes it's even the opposite in fact).
So if camera Y is better AND easier to use, won't MY results likely improve in some situations? At least a little?

Taking brands out of the equation (so as to not to open a can of worms), if you (let's assume an average level amateur photographer) shoot sports with a 5DII and than upgrade to a 5DIII, shouldn't YOU come out with more perfectly in focus pictures, specially if you don't always use the center AF focus point exclusively??
Or if you shoot available low light portraits using very fast primes with off-center AF points (eyes not in the middle of the frame)?
I guess it's safe to assume that yes.
You are not a better photographer (your knowledge and skill does not improve), but in some cases the results do improve, even if slightly.
I'm not saying a better photographer won't be able to better you with a rebel and a kit lens, I'm saying the better gear can help YOU, specifically, improve YOUR own results.

So in the end yes, what matters the most is the man behind the camera.
I guess we all agree with that.
But come on, the camera/lens helps.
It does.

The "combo" (photographer's skills + gear) is really what will determine the quality of the picture.

As an analogy, it's like racing: is the driver/rider the most important?
Yes!
But I'm pretty well convinced that the car/motorcycle can and in some or many cases does influence the results as well.
If anyone is into motorcycle racing, take as an example the simply disastrous last two seasons from Valentino Rossi, considered the greatest rider of all times, as he changed to a different manufacturer.

P.S.
yes, investing in yourself by taking photography courses will always beat better gear, no need to invoke that argument.

Dec 04, 2012 at 06:08 AM
n0b0
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Reuters photography EXIF analysis

thw2 wrote:
The stats prove that despite having just a single cross AF sensor, the 5D2 is still a highly capable camera that can be used in high stress situations. Despite all the banding, limited dynamic range talk, Canon gear is still good in the right hands. No, it's not about gear... it's about photos and the person behind the camera.

It's just a matter of getting to know and working with the camera's limitation.

People want higher end gear because they believe it'll make it easier for them to achieve their vision at better quality. Talented professionals have harder to achieve vision and higher quality standard, that's why they need higher end gear to make it possible. Amateurs want to emulate them, so they get the next best gear they can afford and try to close the gap between them and the pros.

If you have the best gear but no vision, your photography isn't gonna go anywhere. If you have the vision and you know your gear inside out, you know what you can achieve with it, you'll get the result you want. And the next time you upgrade your gear, whether it's for the IQ or AF, you'll find it easier to achieve that vision and you'll take your photography to a higher level.

In other words, it's not just about the person or the camera, it's a balance between what you're capable of and what the camera's capable of.

Dec 04, 2012 at 07:06 AM
adrianb
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Reuters photography EXIF analysis

fraga wrote:
thw2, please note this is not directed specifically at you, though I used a quote from your post.
It's generally directed at all the people who claim it's ALL about the man behind the camera, like if the gear does not matter (not saying you claimed that).

Of course canon gear is still good in the right hands.
That does mean that in some cases, some canon gear has some shortcomings (like all the other brands do).
In these cases, the photographer will have to work harder to work around the shortcomings.
If they weren't there in the first place, it would be easier for
...Show more

+10000

Dec 04, 2012 at 07:10 AM
goosemang
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Reuters photography EXIF analysis

Monito wrote:
Notice how high the percentage of 5D Mark II cameras used is. It's 26.4%, the second most used camera.

Kind of puts the lie to the meme that the 5D2 can't be used for focusing quickly in stressful circumstances.

yep.

most of these photographers aren't busy comparing shots of leather swatches at iso 25,600 either

want good pictures? stick something worthwhile in front of your lens.

Dec 04, 2012 at 09:58 AM

p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Reuters photography EXIF analysis

Great photos, but they kinda drive me into depression.

Dec 04, 2012 at 10:40 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.