Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Some People Portraits (larger pics added)

michaelneal

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Some People Portraits (larger pics added)

I recently started a small part-time photography studio and am looking for some honest appraisals of my photography skills, or lack of them and what I need to improve on or change to bring in more customers.

http://www.michaelnealstudios.com/photography/

a few sample images below, sorry for the small size, I only have thumbnail and large versions right now.

Edited on Dec 05, 2012 at 11:47 PM · View previous versions

Dec 03, 2012 at 04:19 PM
friscoron
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Some People Portraits (larger pics added)

Michael, welcome to our forum! It looks like you have some really nice shots on your website.

If you want feedback, you're best off imbedding about 6 to 8 pics here in a post and numbering them (1-8, for example). But to send us off to your website, you're just not going to get much feedback and you may quickly become disillusioned. A lot of people won't even follow links. And those that do, they're just not sure which pics you want critiqued. We're not going to play the guessing game.

Feel free to reply back and imbed the pictures. You should get some excellent feedback that way.

Dec 03, 2012 at 04:37 PM
michaelneal

p.1 #3 · Some People Portraits (larger pics added)

thanks, added a few

Dec 03, 2012 at 05:15 PM
CW100
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Some People Portraits (larger pics added)

michaelneal wrote:
thanks, added a few

the pics are very small !

Dec 03, 2012 at 07:11 PM
ChiShutter
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · Some People Portraits (larger pics added)

Make 'em bigger! They look good in thumbnail view, though.

Dec 03, 2012 at 07:13 PM
friscoron
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Some People Portraits (larger pics added)

Okay, no worries. Small steps. Now, re-link them, but they need to be at 800 pixels wide (if landscape) or long (if portrait). When you do that, add to the end of your post title: (pics added), and then people will check them out.

Dec 03, 2012 at 09:51 PM
DavidWEGS
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · Some People Portraits (larger pics added)

Aside from the small images, the lighting is a bit harsh in some, although it works for some.

If you are a stylized shooter, keep that look and develop it with a little more purposeful direction that enhances the pose position. Many photogs will use a recipe that is great for a subject at #A pose and at #B elevation and #C distance from lights. This then gets placed and left in place as a subject moves around. That often means less dynamic work, so develop your lighting per image. You do begin to find ways that just work well, but sometimes you will stumble upon something that is a little cool/edgy or such. During a session, choose that one that really hits you, and market with just that one from that shoot. Don't worry about showing tons of work, just very good work.

Disclaimer: I am not the expert, but those are my opinions and thoughts about your work/site.

Dec 04, 2012 at 01:50 AM

Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · Some People Portraits (larger pics added)

I'll wait until the pics get bigger. Critique at this size is tough.

Dec 04, 2012 at 08:45 AM
michaelneal

p.1 #9 · Some People Portraits (larger pics added)

thanks, larger pics added

Dec 05, 2012 at 11:48 PM
T-bone1
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · Some People Portraits (larger pics added)

I like your lighting for #3 and #4 with the subjects. Good drama.

-T

Dec 06, 2012 at 12:15 AM
Steady Hand
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · Some People Portraits (larger pics added)

Howdy,
First...my standard intro to anyone "new" to me on this forum...
My comments or suggestions below are not a criticism of you, your model, your talent or skill. I offer them in a friendly tone of voice and with the sole intent to help you with a second POV and set of eyes. If you read sincere questions and simple suggestions as "criticism" of you, then you will miss how I am trying to help you.

Of course this may be your own "style" or your own "vision" and I suppose we can assume that the images look just like they do because that is exactly how you like them. That is OK too. It just shows that there are differences of "opinion" on what looks good. IF these are exactly what you want and like, then by all means continue making your images look like that and have fun doing it. I can only speak for myself and what I do or do not find appealing in the posted photos. As I always say: "Follow your own muse."

Here are a few Quick Simple Suggestions:

Image 1
Increase contrast.

Image 2
Next time show the arms. As shown it appears she is wrapped up in bandages like a mummy.
And, look at the eyes and avoid the appearance of a black eye (eye filled by black, see the far eye).

Image 3
Add light and raise the light

Image 4
Don't cut the foot (compose better)
Add light to show arm.

Image 5
Poor pose. Makes her right arm look huge (as big as her thigh).

Image 6
Next time brush the hair. Messy hair seldom looks good.
Also, avoid the illusion of a hand/fingers growing from out of her bust.

Dec 06, 2012 at 01:08 AM
michaelneal

p.1 #12 · Some People Portraits (larger pics added)

thanks for the comments, I can see what you are saying. I appreciate the feedback because I want to get better.

Dec 06, 2012 at 01:24 AM
CW100
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Some People Portraits (larger pics added)

nice assortment of pics

Dec 07, 2012 at 04:50 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password