Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · First Basketball Shots

MakoShark
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · First Basketball Shots

So the HS I shoot for had opening night for all of their BB teams and I was fortunate to given the opportunity to shoot for the basketball team as well! All teams played in one evening. Freshman, JV and Varsity boys and girls! I was pretty wore out at the end!

Here are a few I liked. Comments and thoughts are always welcome and greatly appreciated. This site has been a ton of help from this past football season. Now on to Basketball! Some things I need to work on is anticipation of this type of play and that will lead to sharper shots.

Gym is pretty well lit and offered a full walk around on the upper level (see last shot). Wow I have seen and heard just how much cycling of lights there could be and noticed a bit of that going on with exposures. Some variations on the court for ISO as you will see in the exif. All shot in manual.

Thanks again for the help!

Edited on Dec 03, 2012 at 03:29 PM · View previous versions

Dec 03, 2012 at 03:28 PM
MakoShark
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · First Basketball Shots

5-8

Dec 03, 2012 at 03:29 PM
MakoShark
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · First Basketball Shots

last set. Thanks for looking. Last shot was for folks to see the gym layout.

Hope everybody is having a great Monday!

wide shot for perspective of the gym and lighting

Dec 03, 2012 at 03:31 PM
Ben Amato
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · First Basketball Shots

Mako: Nice work. Great variety of shots (high, low, tight, wide)! I think that really helps tell the story. Love gyms with tracks around them. My favs are 1, 5, 7, 9 and 11.

Ben

Dec 03, 2012 at 04:51 PM
MakoShark
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · First Basketball Shots

Thanks Ben I appreciate the comments! Have a great week.

Dec 03, 2012 at 05:35 PM
olddeadhead
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · First Basketball Shots

Wow super nice lighting in there. You are very lucky

Dec 04, 2012 at 03:20 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

acoll123
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · First Basketball Shots

I like the variety of angles and focal lengths you apparently used. I am shooting a game tonight and might try to get up in the stands and look down to get a different look like #2.

Thanks for sharing

Andy

Dec 04, 2012 at 08:56 PM
OntheRez
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · First Basketball Shots

Best HS lighting I've ever seen. I'm soooo jealous. I like that you've worked from a number of perspectives. I'm always moving. Never know where the best shot will be and of course there are plenty of times I'm in the wrong place . Still I think baseline, both sidelines, as high in the bleachers as possible are minimums for covering a game.

Nice pix.

Robert

Have recently been getting some nice stuff with a 35L camped right under the basket.

Dec 04, 2012 at 10:04 PM
MakoShark
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · First Basketball Shots

Olddeadhead - I sure consider myself very lucky for many things. Thanks!

Andy - How did the game go? Thanks for the comments.

Robert - Yeah the main gym is amazing. The AUX gym with 9th grade boys play is a dungeon. 6400- 12800 is a norm there. I also know that feeling of wishing I was in a different place sometimes, but I am learning patience Slowly Cool to hear about the 35L. I am on Nikon and was using the 28 1.8g on that last shot to show the gym and lighting. The 28 is really nice right under the basket, too bad I never got good enough action to show here with it. The 85mm siggy did well, focus was a tad erratic, but also could have been me as well Have a great week

Manny

Dec 05, 2012 at 12:36 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · First Basketball Shots

Manny: Nice set. Here's some shot-by-shot C&C:

1. Great action, not the best angle given the background. This is one that might have been better from under the basket.

2. I really like this different perspective, and the hardwood provides a nice, clean background. It would be nice to be able to see the basket, but assuming she's not getting near it with her jump, you'd have to go much wider to include it, and that probably would ruin the shot.

3. Good action once again, but if you're thinking the coach and others watching from the right side of the image add to its appeal, I'd disagree and suggest a tighter crop to eliminate that distraction. Now, if this is a photo for the school newspaper or website, then including that element of the environment makes perfect sense. If the strongest, tightest action shot is your goal, the crop is warranted.

4. Nice, tight competitive action, background be damned.

5. Good action, would like to see even a small piece of the basket.

6. Pretty good action but a bit crowded with extraneous bodies.

7. Good action. I'd recommend going vertical with a tighter crop.

8. Very nice.

9. I'm undecided about this one. I can see the appeal of this wide perspective, but I also am thinking a bit tighter would work as well. I always like to consider what each person in the frame is (or is not) contributing to the overall effect of the image.

10. Nice.

11. This one probably tells the overall story better than any.

This is a strong set in a setting that, while it might be well lit, certainly poses a number of challenges where backgrounds are concerned. I hope you don't mind my feedback, which is based on how I see your images, and that, of course, will differ from how others see them.

Dec 05, 2012 at 04:57 PM
MakoShark
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · First Basketball Shots

Thanks Russ! Much appreciated and many thanks for taking the time to break each one down. I will definitely apply those ideas this coming weekend. I have another run of jv and varsity boys and girls.

I was pretty frustrated I left my 50mm home. Brought everything else and as light and small as it is I don't know why I didn't throw it in the bag! Most of these are the 70-200 and in thew spots I could shoot from (cheerleaders everywhere) the 50mm would have been a much better focal length. 28 was good but I could only get so close, 85 too tight most of the time under the basket. I dont own a mid zoom yet...

Not having the hoop in the frame was driving me mad! Thanks for mentioning the crops. I remember asking you about that in your post a while back. It will give me a good basis to start on.

Yeah I had the same thoughts when I walked in I was thinking "WOW light!" then looked at angles and backgrounds and was thinking "ooookay". The lack of attendance is tough as well with the backgrounds but will keep working on it.

Hope all is well!

Dec 05, 2012 at 05:32 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password