Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2012 · Acquiring the dream... and then selling it for a profit?

Jman13
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Acquiring the dream... and then selling it for a profit?

So, did you take any pictures of and with it before selling? Share?

Dec 03, 2012 at 05:05 AM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Acquiring the dream... and then selling it for a profit?

freaklikeme wrote:
It was the Leica 400/560/800 head with the 1x module. So the prices were considerably higher than the 'lux example.

If you're still using it and your financial situation is stable then don't sell it. Of course! Duh!

If you're done with it or don't mind waiting a year or two for the next one to pop up then sell it. Of course! Duh!

Dec 03, 2012 at 05:08 AM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Acquiring the dream... and then selling it for a profit?

such a personal question
I'd sell it, I have sold in a couple of similar situations and never looked back.
but every person is different.

Dec 03, 2012 at 06:57 AM
ISO1600
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Acquiring the dream... and then selling it for a profit?

If it was a lens/item that i bought from a stranger/non-friend, i would have no reservations in selling it for profit. If i bought it for a deal from a buddy, then i would feel bad about it.

Dec 03, 2012 at 08:11 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Acquiring the dream... and then selling it for a profit?

Very interesting post as I can relate (much smaller scale) and here are a few things that come to mind for me on such matters.

1. Is this a lifetime piece? Meaning that it doesn't matter what the price is because I'd only be looking for it again in the future.

2. Is there another piece that can do what it does? e.g. the articulation movements of the Canon TS-E II's don't have an alternative choice to replace them with. Mirex adapter (which I still need to find) is another one.

3. Would I be willing to sell something else to repurchase it?

4. Is it "me"? i.e., if something happened to the one I've got ... would I get it again (knowing that I won't find it at the same price I paid), or simply find something else that "fits the bill".

The "great find" is always so way cool, but in the end ... if you aren't using it (because it's value confines you, makes you nervous, etc.), then you are simply tying up your money in inventory that isn't doing you any practical value. Like many of the others, it is the "nervous" thing that is probably the most critical aspect that "tips the scales" for me on you scenario.

Just a few thoughts at how I approach such things, whether it be my lenses, my tools or my cars.

BTW ... congrats on the "cha-ching". What's next?

Dec 03, 2012 at 08:18 AM
briantho
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Acquiring the dream... and then selling it for a profit?

Anything is for sale... at the right price

Dec 03, 2012 at 08:48 AM
alexandre
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Acquiring the dream... and then selling it for a profit?

I bought 7 Rokkor 58/1.2 and kept the best for me for some years. On 5 of the 6 sold I made some profit. I let the 7th fall down and it had the filter ring bent. I found a good deal on a Zuiko 50/1.2. Sold the 7th Rokkor... and with profit!

But no, I wouldn't sell my ONLY lens, unless it's an absurd profit and I can find other options to cover the dream I just sold. In my case, the Zuiko fits the bill just as well.

Dec 03, 2012 at 08:54 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Acquiring the dream... and then selling it for a profit?

Given the lens in question, and what I can figure on going price for this, I think you absolutely made the right choice to sell it. We're talking a very, very large sum of money. (I would estimate the amount of profit you made could pay for my entire camera kit).

Dec 03, 2012 at 09:07 AM
deadwolfbones
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Acquiring the dream... and then selling it for a profit?

Picked up a 200/2.0 Ai-s recently for a great price, thinking about flipping it... but not yet.

Dec 03, 2012 at 09:09 AM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Acquiring the dream... and then selling it for a profit?

Jman13 wrote:
Given the lens in question, and what I can figure on going price for this, I think you absolutely made the right choice to sell it. We're talking a very, very large sum of money. (I would estimate the amount of profit you made could pay for my entire camera kit).

It is still a stellar performer and one that many of us wish we had. I loved using it and the f5.6 800mm version in particular in 1998 for a month.

Rich

Dec 03, 2012 at 09:16 AM
photo chris

p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Acquiring the dream... and then selling it for a profit?

freaklikeme wrote:
It's funny, Paul. I ended up selling, and the one of the factors was how much I babied the lens. Generally speaking, I love my gear, but I'd rather make an insurance claim than not try to get the shot. This lens turned me into a nervous twit to the point where I was beginning to wonder if I'd ever get comfortable enough to take it where I wanted it to go.

I had a similar experience with a vintage Gibson Les Paul guitar I found in mint condition that was an absolute steal. I bought it and couldn't bring myself to take it off the wall to play because I didn't want to scratch it. The rest of my guitars all show significant wear from being tossed around, dropped and so on. After two years of admiring it and occasionally playing it while wearing no buttons or anything else that could scuff my baby, I sold it -- for 4x what I paid and bought two of its newer/cheaper siblings to knock around and pocketed the rest of the cash. I wish I still had it as I'll probably never own another - now it would cost $25,000 to get one in mint condition ... much, much more than mine fetched back in the day.

Dec 03, 2012 at 10:12 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Acquiring the dream... and then selling it for a profit?

PeaktoPeek wrote:
If it was keeping you from using it then it wasn't worth it -- better to have sold it. Its like Camron's Dad (in Ferris Bueller's Day Off) with his Ferrari. At one point I had gathered quite a collection of dream lenses, but it got to the point where i couldn't figure out which ones to take with me. It was at that point I decided to forget about the dream lenses and focus on what I could carry and still get the shots I wanted. The only one I really miss is the Rokkor 58/1.2....

Yes, I'm moving in the direction of your thinking. If I'm concerned or inhibited by the thought of damaging or losing a piece of gear, I don't what it. That approach will simply kill my flexibility in taking pictures. I'd rather have slightly less dreamy gear and get the job done. I'm not quite to the tipping point on the 17 TS-E, but I'm getting there because there is a need, but I need to reconcile myself to damaging the front glass someday in an awkward night shoot. . . eventually it will be mine.

Dec 03, 2012 at 10:13 AM
ISO1600
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Acquiring the dream... and then selling it for a profit?

An example that I am hesitant to admit to, but will anyways;

I spent several years in Japan. While i was there, I got somewhat adept at tracking down gear online through local channels. Over time, I procured at least 6 different copies of the difficult to find (in this part of the world) Canon 35/2 LTM lens.... prices ranging from $75-$250. I love this lens, it's a great shooter. But often, I would get offers from members on RFF that were too good to refuse, so it would wound up getting sold and shipped off to Taiwan or Singapore (that is where most of them went.... who knows!).
Buyer felt they were getting a good deal, I knew I was getting a good deal. Everybody is happy. No harm done.

Anybody in Asia who is offering a buy/sell service for photography gear is in it for money. If they are doing it as a favor/service, then the prices in many cases would be too good to believe. The market on certain (often used) items in Korea and Japan can at times be unbelievably good in comparison to USA/Canada/EU prices.

Dec 03, 2012 at 10:22 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Acquiring the dream... and then selling it for a profit?

ISO1600 ... IIRC, I picked up a Nikon 20/2.8 AIS from you while you were over that way.

Dec 03, 2012 at 11:22 AM
dasrocket
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Acquiring the dream... and then selling it for a profit?

I acquired a dream lens once, the 50L 1.0 off a huge sale for $1,000 CAD. It happened to be which I was still in University and I wanted to hold onto it, but in the end I ended up selling it for 1,500; it was not a money making decision as much as a change in the way I think about stuff I buy.
Since then, and an answer to the OP's question, I do not hold on to "dream articles"; I'd rather continue to trade and try anything I can get me hands on. I know how I take pictures, there's not a specific item that I need to "complete" my photographic process -guess I am simple that way

Plus the idea of buying an item to only make a profit out of it, thus raising the price while adding no value to it goes against my world of values -too money-driven of an endeavor.

No regrets

Dec 03, 2012 at 11:25 AM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Acquiring the dream... and then selling it for a profit?

freaklikeme wrote:
It was the Leica 400/560/800 head with the 1x module. So the prices were considerably higher than the 'lux example.

Wouldnt sell it, if I would have use for it. Which I would have. Not sure about you.

I think it depends on individual. There is some gear in photographic world, that if I could get, I wouldnt sell unless I was dying from starvation...

Which reminds me, I can have now Fuji S5 Pro for 230 EUR. Thinking about that.

Dec 03, 2012 at 11:34 AM
lou f
• • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Acquiring the dream... and then selling it for a profit?

Sony a900, NEX-7

Leica-M 24/2.8, 35/1.4, 50/2, 75/2.5, 90/2

Leica-R 24/2.8, 28/2.8, 35/1.4, 35-70/4,
60/2.8 Macro, 90/2, 100/2.8 Macro,
180/2.8, 180/3.4, 1.4x and 2x APO

Minolta Rokkor 17/4, 58/1.2

Zeiss Jena Biotar 58/2

i'll take it were not talking about the nex 7 then...

Dec 03, 2012 at 01:58 PM
AhamB
• • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Acquiring the dream... and then selling it for a profit?

lou f wrote:
i'll take it were not talking about the nex 7 then...

He already mentioned it was this:

freaklikeme wrote:

Dec 03, 2012 at 02:15 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Acquiring the dream... and then selling it for a profit?

Almass wrote:
The Cron 180/2 is a great lens but I personally prefer the Nikon 200/2 G VRII mainly because of AF.

I actually owned the 180/2 and the Nikkor 200/2 VR I at the same time, but ended up selling the Nikon. The Nikkor was a tiny bit sharper wide open, had AF, and everything else went to the Leica. The 180/2 was smaller, lighter, a much better shape for handholding, has a built-in pull-out hood, a normal lens cap, better manual focus (doh), and is just more beautiful

Dec 03, 2012 at 02:49 PM
Almass
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Acquiring the dream... and then selling it for a profit?

and is just more beautiful

LoL

Dec 03, 2012 at 03:38 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.