New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

Archive 2012 · 5D III Any Good?

matt4626
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · 5D III Any Good?

I'm with ironimage++. I've had them all 5Dc, 5DII & 5DIII...the III is by far the best at everything I've used it for...landscape, wildlife, BIF.....

Dec 03, 2012 at 11:26 AM
garydavidjones
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · 5D III Any Good?

If you're doing landscape, why are you concerned with AF? I use
the 5D2 for macro (mainly flowers) and 5D3 for action. Most
often I use manual focus with 5D2. Very happy with IQ of
5D2 photos.

Dec 03, 2012 at 11:37 AM
mco_970
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · 5D III Any Good?

matt4626 wrote:
I'm with ironimage++. I've had them all 5Dc, 5DII & 5DIII...the III is by far the best at everything I've used it for...landscape, wildlife, BIF.....

Why is 5D3 by far the best for landscape, esp. over 5D2? Interested in specific reasons.

Dec 03, 2012 at 11:40 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · 5D III Any Good?

The whole 5D series are great landscape cameras. I think to parse the differences and details in landscape IQ is not worth any debate.
Assuming they were all still available off the shelf brand new, the reason for a mark II or III is in the additional features they provide if felt necessary by the photographer. I loved my 5Dc, but live view, iso performance, and great AF in the 5DIII are quite nice. Some features can be had with magic lantern on the 5DII, but I like using manual mode with auto iso on the 5DIII.

Dec 03, 2012 at 12:39 PM
Beni
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · 5D III Any Good?

abqnmusa wrote:
Use DPP to process set for "faithful" and your colors will be perfect

the forums like to trash cameras. So I take this thread with a huuuuge grain of salt.

I find the 5D III to be excellent IF if am doing my part correctly. I have not seen issues with colors or exposure. Focus has been excellent.

Over the weekend I shot a high school football state championship game at ISO 4000 & 5000 with the EF 200mm F2.8 prime. The images are very clean with good colors and skin tones. I shot AI focus the entire game and it
...Show more

You've been the first to mention Nikon in the entire thread. The DR and colour comparisons have been to older 1 series bodies throughout. I'd say that your first paragraph and last two paragraphs are borderline trolling.

Dec 03, 2012 at 12:49 PM
abqnmusa
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · 5D III Any Good?

whatever you want to believe ;>

Dec 03, 2012 at 03:07 PM
mmurph
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · 5D III Any Good?

Beni wrote:
are borderline trolling.

Let's just drop it right away, OK?

They were worded a bit strongly, but they weren't directed at anyone in particular.

No need to escalate this whole thing. This is a decent thread, you've both had a quick comment.

Let's keep the thread on track and leave it at that.

Thanks!!

Dec 03, 2012 at 03:16 PM
timbop
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · 5D III Any Good?

abqnmusa wrote:
Use DPP to process set for "faithful" and your colors will be perfect

the forums like to trash cameras. So I take this thread with a huuuuge grain of salt.

I find the 5D III to be excellent IF if am doing my part correctly. I have not seen issues with colors or exposure. Focus has been excellent.

Over the weekend I shot a high school football state championship game at ISO 4000 & 5000 with the EF 200mm F2.8 prime. The images are very clean with good colors and skin tones. I shot AI focus the entire game and it
...Show more

spew enough BS and something will stick - and snowball over time.

This thread is in the same category as the "take a picture with the lenscap on thread"

The colors/IQ out of the 5d3 are very good, at least the way I process them. It is possible to overprocess any image - that doesn't mean the original image was crap. With highlight tone priority on, the highlights hold and the shadows are fine.

Dec 03, 2012 at 07:44 PM
splathrop
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · 5D III Any Good?

My 5DIII was new two weeks ago.

Very happy so far. Like the colors better than with my 5D II (shooting "faithful," as I did with the 5D II). Haven't tested this yet, but subjective impression is that the metering is improved.

Also, more shots seem to fill the histogram than with the 5D II. Have to do a side-by-side to confirm that. If it is happening, that alone would make the 5D III the better landscape camera. Problem is, I can understand how a lens with better contrast would do that. Not so sure I understand how a camera makes that happen. So maybe it's just my (happy) imagination.

Another landscape advantage is less noisy ISO 400. Hints of shadow noise that don't matter at all for most work can be a major pain when you are making big prints. Big edge to the 5D III there, I think. Still experimenting on that one, though. Enough success so far to make me start wondering about ISO 800, which I would never touch for landscape with the 5D II. Now have to find out.

I also like the touch on the shutter release better, like the quiet shutter mode, and have had excellent success using the focus confirmation in the viewfinder with MF lenses (after applying a bit of MA to some of them). My Zeiss 35mm f/1.4 is turning out one perfectly sharp shot after another, wide open, when I use the center column points and rely on focus confirm. I find that mind boggling.

With AF, you can set up the camera to just show the cross type AF points, which are the better ones. The points nearest the frame corners are not quite as reliable as the ones in the middle (maybe a function of declining lens MTF values toward the edge of the frame), but all of them seem to do at least as well as the center point on the 5D II. In general, the corner-most points seem to approach 100% reliability for shots at f/2.8 or smaller. Even at f-stops faster than f/2.0, I have been getting mostly good results from the outer points. With my 5D II there were always more than a few images from any autofocus shoot that were culled for bad focus, and that was using only the center point. Very few of those with 5D III, even with low light, and using all the points. Some fast autofocus lenses that I had been reluctant to use wide open on the 5D II became instant reliable performers at max aperture on the 5D III—notably the 35 L and 85 f/1.8.

Not sure yet whether the 5D III will turn out to have any live view focusing advantages. That was working nearly perfectly for me on the 5D II, so maybe not much room for improvement there. Have to buckle down and get that sorted out next.

And of course for moving subjects it's a whole new world.

I had planned to stick with my 5D II, then didn't because one smaller part of my landscape work really needs autofocus, and now I'm glad. It's a better camera in more ways than I expected.

Dec 03, 2012 at 10:47 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · 5D III Any Good?

splathrop wrote:
With AF, you can set up the camera to just show the cross type AF points, which are the better ones. The points nearest the frame corners are not quite as reliable as the ones in the middle (maybe a function of declining lens MTF values toward the edge of the frame), but all of them seem to do at least as well as the center point on the 5D II. In general, the corner-most points seem to approach 100% reliability for shots at f/2.8 or smaller. Even at f-stops faster than f/2.0, I have been getting mostly good results
...Show more

Nice to hear some AF improvement for fast lenses. Thanks, Stephen

Dec 03, 2012 at 11:00 PM
vchowdhary
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · 5D III Any Good?

Just got my new 5D3.
To say I'm underwhelmed by the IQ compared to the current D800e would be understating it.

But man do I love this 85 L. I have had the 85 1.8 and the 85 sigma, but wish Nikon made a 85 1.2 with AF.

The 35L... softer than the rokinon 35 on Nikon.
The AF on the 5d 3 definitely feels quicker than the d800 (on initial lock).

Dec 03, 2012 at 11:27 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · 5D III Any Good?

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_6d

Dec 04, 2012 at 01:25 AM
Beni
• • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · 5D III Any Good?

mmurph wrote:
Let's just drop it right away, OK?

They were worded a bit strongly, but they weren't directed at anyone in particular.

No need to escalate this whole thing. This is a decent thread, you've both had a quick comment.

Let's keep the thread on track and leave it at that.

Thanks!!

Guy tries to derail a thread, I pull him up on it and it's my fault?

Dec 04, 2012 at 04:07 AM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · 5D III Any Good?

Please do not derail the thread. Let us show that it is possible to have nuanced discussion about color accuracy in Canon EOS cameras.

It is a fact that the 5D III has a worse color sensitivity metamerism index than the 1Ds III (ISO 17321), 74 vs 86. 100 is perfect. This means that while the 5DIII files can be processed to good looking colors, there are colors that the 1Ds III can uniquely identify while the 5D III can not.

Tab "Color response":

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cameras/Camera-Sensor-Database/Canon/EOS-1Ds-Mark-III

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cameras/Camera-Sensor-Database/Canon/EOS-5D-Mark-III

Dec 04, 2012 at 06:18 AM
Breitling65
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · 5D III Any Good?

alundeb wrote:
Please do not derail the thread. Let us show that it is possible to have nuanced discussion about color accuracy in Canon EOS cameras.

It is a fact that the 5D III has a worse color sensitivity metamerism index than the 1Ds III (ISO 17321), 74 vs 86. 100 is perfect. This means that while the 5DIII files can be processed to good looking colors, there are colors that the 1Ds III can uniquely identify while the 5D III can not.

Tab "Color response":

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cameras/Camera-Sensor-Database/Canon/EOS-1Ds-Mark-III

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cameras/Camera-Sensor-Database/Canon/EOS-5D-Mark-III

Dxo test? I could say without even open these links that Nikon there best ever on anything!

Dec 04, 2012 at 07:05 AM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · 5D III Any Good?

Breitling65 wrote:
Dxo test? I could say without even open these links that Nikon there best ever on anything!

That is wrong because DXO tells truthfully that the latest Canon sensors are better than the latest Nikon sensors on high ISO dynamic range.

It is also ignorant because you don't open the links and see what it is about.

It is also off topic because we are discussing Canon vs Canon sensors.

And you add nothing to the discussion since you don't provide anything that indicates how the color response measurements could be wrong. Those color response measurements from DXO are among the strongest over there in the sense that they are not affected by possible bias from pixel count normalization or in-camera processing.

Dec 04, 2012 at 10:31 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · 5D III Any Good?

alundeb -- Thanks for bringing up metamerism and the 1Ds3.

I had an assignment about a year ago where I shot the same twilight scene using a CPS loaner 1Ds3 and my 60D (at the same time, two tripods), both using Zeiss ZE glass, 35/2 and 21/2.8 respectively -- both well regarded and high quality imaging at f/8.

When I reviewed the images from both, I found the 1Ds3 had much better tonal graduation in key areas of artificial lighting on a building (blue to blue-violet transition of color and brightness). The 60D "blocked-up" these colors into a larger posterized mass, where the 1Ds3 showed the clean transitions. (I'm talking very small areas of pixel-peeping magnification.) I know this wasn't just a matter of sensor design, or size, or MP, or bit depth (although there may well be an interplay of these factors).

Your comment reminded me that the whole package from sensor to Digic chip to programming could have a major impact on the outcome of these two cameras.

These fundamental differences in what are otherwise superficially identical images has nagged at me for explanation beyond simple pigeon-holing.

BTW -- I could have used either set of shots from the 1Ds3 or 60D and I doubt anyone would have complained without a personal tour of what was different. But I knew, and wanted to provide the very best out of a unique shooting opportunity -- that's the reason for bringing two rigs to shoot one photo. It's not always possible or appealing to be so complex, but there are dividends to be had for the effort.

Thanks for providing some thought provoking discussion.

Dec 04, 2012 at 10:54 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · 5D III Any Good?

alundeb wrote:
That is wrong because DXO tells truthfully that the latest Canon sensors are better than the latest Nikon sensors on high ISO dynamic range.

And you add nothing to the discussion since you don't provide anything that indicates how the color response measurements could be wrong. Those color response measurements from DXO are among the strongest over there in the sense that they are not affected by possible bias from pixel count normalization or
...Show more

And it you had not quoted him, I would not have seen his comments, since he is on my official HIDE ME list.

Dec 04, 2012 at 12:51 PM
Breitling65
• • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · 5D III Any Good?

alundeb wrote:

And you add nothing to the discussion since you don't provide anything that indicates how the color response measurements could be wrong. Those color response measurements from DXO are among the strongest over there in the sense that they are not affected by possible bias from pixel count normalization or
...Show more

I use to work with their software and it is total garbage, is it also ignorant? I don't see any problems with colors on 5D3 in compare to any 5D version I own and 1D3 and 1D4. Same time I could see lots of green on most Nikon shots people are posting everywhere maybe besides high level pros. Do you even own 5D3? Sorry, but your profile is empty ....

Edited on Dec 04, 2012 at 03:38 PM · View previous versions

Dec 04, 2012 at 03:31 PM
Breitling65
• • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · 5D III Any Good?

Imagemaster wrote:
[And it you had not quoted him, I would not have seen his comments, since he is on my official HIDE ME list.

Like I care ...

Dec 04, 2012 at 03:32 PM
       3       4       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.