Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2012 · 5D III Any Good?

EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5D III Any Good?

Is the 5D III any worse than the 1Ds III for the highlight details and shadow details?

I read that the color was the worst ever in a Canon DSLR. Is it obvious or is it feasible to mix and match images from 1Ds III, 1D IV with the 5D III?

I had a 5D II and the camera was rather rough to operate with poor AF. I think the AF of the 5D III is considered to be better, but is it acceptable for tracking outer/upper points at f/5.6 compared to 1D/s series II/III/IV?

I can live with whatever new weird ergonomics the body has. Other than metering and rear AF CFn, what are the critical parameters to set up if I have only about 30 minutes with the body before use?

Thanks, EBH

Dec 03, 2012 at 05:54 AM
Jefferson
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5D III Any Good?

Long Live the 5D...IMHO...of course...

Just me,
Jefferson

Dec 03, 2012 at 06:06 AM
AlexF
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5D III Any Good?

I have not noticed any problems with color in mk III - to me its the best cam from canon that I have used up to now.
I never owned the 1ds but had both 5D models and 1D mkII and mkiii.

Dec 03, 2012 at 06:28 AM
AaronNegro
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5D III Any Good?

I own both:

5D Classic = 1 Point AF, AF is the limit.
5DIII= No problem with any of the AF points, in fact they are great, so many options to configure and making it your own. I am the limit.

In my quick test, I took the camera and did a 5 minutes shooting before reading the manual and I found it to be a dummy killer. If you have 30 minutes to set it up, the AF mode is the one to touch as metering is on the money most of the time.

Color wise I find the camera to be better than my old 5D, 40D, Rebel, etc...

Dec 03, 2012 at 06:45 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 5D III Any Good?

EB-1 wrote:
Is the 5D III any worse than the 1Ds III for the highlight details and shadow details?

I read that the color was the worst ever in a Canon DSLR. Is it obvious or is it feasible to mix and match images from 1Ds III, 1D IV with the 5D III?

I had a 5D II and the camera was rather rough to operate with poor AF. I think the AF of the 5D III is considered to be better, but is it acceptable for tracking outer/upper points at f/5.6 compared to 1D/s series II/III/IV?

I can live with whatever new weird
...Show more

It focuses well (sometimes the very outermost column might get a little dodgy with certain lenses). Mostly it does very well but the DR isn't that good for this day and age, it is a lot less than any recent Nikon (and even some from a few years back) and a bit worse than the old 1Ds3 in that regard as well as 1DX or, it seems, even 6D, heck it's actually a hint worse than the 5D2 in that regard (also you'd never notice the difference even with peeping). If you could live with the DR of your 5D2 then you can live with it on the 5D3 since it's virtually as good at lower and mid isos (and at least 1/2 stop better DR at high isos). Outer points are a lot more grabby than on the 5D2 and the center is even better (super good when paired with one of the new lenses with the ultra precision mode that the 1DX and 5D3 can take advantage of, so far focusing is magic with the new 24-70 II, you can get over 100 shots in a row in focus at f/2.8 even with indoor lighting plenty of times).

UI is sort of like on the 5D2 only even better and more natural and quick to use. C1-C3 can auto-update, quick button, tabbed menus, instant jump to 100% review and back, etc.

Oh the one other negative, along with the DR at low ISO for this day and age, is the lack of changeable focusing screens. Oh and the color filter is yet even more color-blind under natural lighting (but about the same under tungsten and such), what difference this makes is hard to say, it would take a lot of tricky work to sort out what, if anything it means in the real world, it did get one of the worst color discrimination scores though under natural lighting, that said who knows which shades it is worse at and whether it matters, it might be better for some colors and then much worse for others, not sure how it pans out, might not be any single answer and could even depend upon exact lighting and subjects. The new CFA also increased color noise, although the new sensor is a bit better so that is probably a wash in the end.

But otherwise better AF all-around, better built, better UI, movie mode got rid of moire and aliasing (although still not the sharpest tack on the block, although it is a natural look and not digitally crisped looking), mirror black out is less, fps much better, shutter trigger reacts more quickly. High ISO is modestly better, a little bit better SNR and less banding at high ISO (which can sometimes make a big difference at the much higher isos, if the images have large parts near black, it can look OK on the 5D3 when the 5D2 may be too ugly to use with banding and junk, so while the SNR is only maybe nearing 2/3rds of stop better at best sometimes you can go well over a stop better if the image is a really tough one just because the darkest parts might go to junk on the 5D2 but manage to be passable on the 5D3, so the 1.5-2 stops better is mostly hyperbole and not remotely true and yet.... for some some that can be the case, most of the image might only look modestly better in terms of noise but sometimes you can get nearing 2 stops better just because certain shots won't be ruined by junk even if the rest of the shot only looks modestly better).

None of these digital cams is any better or worse at highlights than any other, if you expose to save a highlight then it is there, if you don't then it is gone, they are all simple linear capture sensors (well maybe there were a few of those weirdo Fuji sensors and such). (Well I guess if the filters were super-unbalanced maybe some might blow one channel sooner relative to others. But in the end you expose to to not clip any channel of anything you want and that is that, it all falls to the shadows and how cleanly they can be read.)

Edited on Dec 03, 2012 at 08:38 AM · View previous versions

Dec 03, 2012 at 07:12 AM
Beni
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 5D III Any Good?

Rather worried about all this talk of colour. I found the 5DII's colours to be cartoonish already.

Dec 03, 2012 at 07:24 AM
mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 5D III Any Good?

Beni wrote:
Rather worried about all this talk of colour. I found the 5DII's colours to be cartoonish already.

you hurt my feeling but i can't agree more. seem ok for landscape though

Dec 03, 2012 at 08:04 AM
mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 5D III Any Good?

skibum5 wrote:
It focuses well (sometimes the very outermost column might get a little dodgy with certain lenses). Mostly it does very well but the DR isn't that good for this day and age, it is a lot less than any recent Nikon (and even some from a few years back) and a bit worse than the old 1Ds3 in that regard as well as 1DX or, it seems, even 6D, heck it's actually a hint worse than the 5D2 in that regard (also you'd never notice the difference even with peeping). If you could live with the DR of your 5D2
...Show more

Thank you for your honest mini review

Dec 03, 2012 at 08:06 AM
Beni
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 5D III Any Good?

mttran wrote:
you hurt my feeling but i can't agree more. seem ok for landscape though

Been playing with some raw files I downloaded in ACR. I can kill the over saturation in the reds quite easily. Getting some quite good colour and curve for regular use. Still not the oh so wonderful 1 series 'look' to the files and further from it, significantly further than with my 5Dc's. I'm in the market for a 5D3 but with 1Ds3's being sold now so incredibly cheap it's hard to forget just how good the general and colour tonality is with that beast.

I don't have any tungsten or fluorescent lit portraits to really get an idea of what the colour is like when you have to take it by the throat and punch it a few times. That and mixed lighting is the real killer for colour separation, especially on a camera designed for high ISO. You can of course see it with studio lighting but it's less dramatic.

Dec 03, 2012 at 08:25 AM
Ironimage

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 5D III Any Good?

I have shot with everything from Canon, save for the lower end rebels and the 1dx; the 5d3 is a substantial improvement from the 5dc and 5d2 in all categories. AF is light years ahead of all but the 1dx (likely due to it's separate metering processor) and high iso noise is 1 1/2 to 2 stops better than its predecessor. I shot a concert in a church last night at 6400 and 12,800 with solid, useable files under tricky cave-ish conditions, without disturbing anyone with its silent shutter. I don't shoot in a lab, I shoot in the real world and for me, the 5d3 pays the bills. I would highly recommend it to anyone looking to do the same.

Dec 03, 2012 at 08:33 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 5D III Any Good?

Beni wrote:

cartoonish sounds like a poor camera color profile in some software being used?
depends what you mean though

Dec 03, 2012 at 08:33 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 5D III Any Good?

Ironimage wrote:
I have shot with everything from Canon, save for the lower end rebels and the 1dx; the 5d3 is a substantial improvement from the 5dc and 5d2 in all categories. AF is light years ahead of all but the 1dx (likely due to it's separate metering processor) and high iso noise is 1 1/2 to 2 stops better than its predecessor. I shot a concert in a church last night at 6400 and 12,800 with solid, useable files under tricky cave-ish conditions, without disturbing anyone with its silent shutter. I don't shoot in a lab, I shoot in the real
...Show more

oh yeah I forgot about the silent shutter mode

Dec 03, 2012 at 08:35 AM
Killergoalie
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 5D III Any Good?

For those complaining about the color, you need to go to the P.O.T.N. website, and check out the images in the 5D Mk III owner's thread. The colors in most of the images are crisp, rich, bold, vibrant, etc. In other words...absolutely incredible!

Perhaps the "poor color" photos that you've seen from the camera have just had poor processing.

And this is coming from a died in the wool, 1D series lover!

In fact I'm still waiting to see images from the 1Dx that are as crisp, rich, vibrant, bold in color as some of the shots from the 5D Mk III that I've seen. Not saying that it's not possible of course, just wish I'd see some because I want a 1 series camera for the FPS, the AF, built in grip, but I want images that look like those I've described.

Of course it's all a matter of opinion.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1210487&page=320

Dec 03, 2012 at 09:18 AM
Beni
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 5D III Any Good?

Crisp, rich, bold, vibrant, etc

Um, Yeuch?

I shoot people not velvia type landscapes. I can add any of the above using the saturation and contrast sliders.

Dec 03, 2012 at 11:09 AM
PhilDrinkwater
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 5D III Any Good?

I've been very happy with the colours. I like mine puncy, but I find it does subtle well too.

Puncy:
http://www.phildweddingphotography.co.uk/2012/11/chinese-wedding-photography-in-manchester-cheshire-and-lancashire/
(actually I think the blues are probably a bit too strong in some of those - I'll tweak them down later)

Subtle colours:
http://www.phildweddingphotography.co.uk/vintage/

However, I process everything through RAW using a custom profile..

Understand that it might be more colour blind, but I think it realistic terms you'd really struggle to tell the difference if all cameras were profiles. In fact, in good light, I think you'd struggle to tell one 12x8 from another with any camera body. The lens is likely to be more a giveaway - at least if it's low DOF and the bokeh was taken into account.

Dec 03, 2012 at 11:50 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 5D III Any Good?

Thanks for the comments. For clarification I was interested in the IQ comparsion with the 1Ds III. Mainly it would be used for landscapes or other nature use, not on humans or unnatural colored objects. My 5D II sat in the closet the whole time other than preliminary testing.

EBH

Dec 03, 2012 at 12:52 PM
PhilDrinkwater
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 5D III Any Good?

EB-1 wrote:
Thanks for the comments. For clarification I was interested in the IQ comparsion with the 1Ds III. Mainly it would be used for landscapes or other nature use, not on humans or unnatural colored objects. My 5D II sat in the closet the whole time other than preliminary testing.

EBH

The IQ compared with the 1ds iii is likely ever so slightly reduced. I doubt you'd notice the difference, especially if you're post producing your files.

Maybe rent one for a couples of days and do some tests? It's a big purchase...

Dec 03, 2012 at 01:16 PM
dgdg
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 5D III Any Good?

EB-1 wrote:
I read that the color was the worst ever in a Canon DSLR.

.... This is the first I've heard about this problem! The 5DIII gives me great colors.

EB-1 wrote:
I can live with whatever new weird ergonomics the body has. Other than metering and rear AF CFn, what are the critical parameters to set up if I have only about 30 minutes with the body before use?

I do not find it a weird camera. I suppose each setup depends on what you are shooting and what your prior preferences were on your 1D(s) bodies.

I found some interesting suggestions here for set up. I am still fine tuning my camera settings as I shoot more. I really enjoy the manual mode with auto iso. Then for subjects like bald eagles, I will dial in a manual iso to make sure the head is not overexposed. Also setting the DOF button to toggle ai servo is handy.
http://www.garyluhm.net/bio/tips_0812.html
http://www.garyluhm.net/bio/tips_0512.html

I think the 5DIII will shoot as good of a landscape photo as most anyone can take. I don't see Fred complaining about his great photos. However, I would say if you have greatly underexposed areas and really push them up, you will not be pleased with the resulting artifacts. With exposure bracketing of a landscape photo, it is a non issue.

Beni wrote:

lol... Wow, where are all these color complaints coming from?

I look forward to Dan's well articulated hyperbole comments.

Edited on Dec 03, 2012 at 02:49 PM · View previous versions

Dec 03, 2012 at 02:36 PM
mmurph
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 5D III Any Good?

Beni wrote:

I shoot every camera the same way.

I shoot RAW+JPEG. On the Canon, I shoot AdobeRGB, Picture Profile is "Neutral", sometimes "Faithful."

On "Neutral", I turn Sharpening to "0", Saturation to "-2", Contrast to "-4". This is a big, wide, flat image, that is the best for capturing the maximum DR and maximum color information from any scene.

It is like shooting Portra 160NC in color negative film.

Then, I use ther Color Checker Passport to create a custom DNG profile for Lightroom and Bridge for each camera that I own. I consider that essential for getting back to a standard "base" file. That will absolutely nail any color.

If you want to tweak your color from there (to create "Looks", etc.) you can import the Color Checker image into the Adobe DNG Profile editor. You can adjust parameters and curve for each of the 24 samples. To maintain human skin tones, for example, while warping other colors to create a steely green/blue look, etc.

I also have the 140 chip Color Checker Digital SG, but can only make .ICC profiles from that right now (regular Color Checker is 24 chips.) Photoshop can use .ICC, but Lightroom works from .DNG profiles.

I used similar settings on every camerea I have owned this year, with wonderful results. Even in converting to sRGB for the web, it gives you great control over the final color space. Lightroom let's you "repurpose" the file easily at outpout time by applying a different Profile to get the contrast, stauration, etc. that you want.

I have owned the Canon T4i, 5DIII, 1DX, Sony NEX 7 and 5n, and Nikon D3200 this year. Great files out of all of them! The Canon certainly hold their own.

You can look at the Prolost blog for some additional info:

http://prolost.com/flat

There is also a good article on available Picture Profiles at the Phillip Bloom web site, including 3rd party custom profiles like Marvel Cine:

http://philipbloom.net/2011/09/18/pictureprofiles/

These discussions are centered around getting the image close/right in camera, or getting it in a place to edit from. With video there is no RAW file on most DSLR's.

With stills, you can do the same and much, much more from a RAW file post capture with stills. But it is also good to get the in camera JPEG close to what you want to savew work sometimes.

Best,
Michael

Dec 03, 2012 at 02:47 PM
abqnmusa
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 5D III Any Good?

Use DPP to process set for "faithful" and your colors will be perfect

the forums like to trash cameras. So I take this thread with a huuuuge grain of salt.

I find the 5D III to be excellent IF if am doing my part correctly. I have not seen issues with colors or exposure. Focus has been excellent.

Over the weekend I shot a high school football state championship game at ISO 4000 & 5000 with the EF 200mm F2.8 prime. The images are very clean with good colors and skin tones. I shot AI focus the entire game and it was spot on.

I find the dynamic range is working out fine. Sure I can device some lousy pic to try and prove DR is lacking. But in actual well done photography DR has not been an issue.

People that believe the Nikons sensors are so fantastic should just sell their Canon equipment and go Nikon. Simple as that.

Dec 03, 2012 at 04:19 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password