Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Hockey - Major Bantam... Couple quick ones

dj dunzie
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Hockey - Major Bantam... Couple quick ones

This time again in Hespeler Arena, but this time the other rink, where I can't get access to the penalty boxes, so I shoot from above the player bench on a little "runway". Lighting though is a little better on this side, likely 1/640th at ISO5000 so pretty good here. Again, custom WB and a 300/f2.8. Higher angles and worse access than I like, but what can you do?

(1) You know you're good when you "Use the force" and stop it. Or at least, it hits you...

(2) Pretty standard... Look and Pass...

(3) Unrelated... the Reach and Turn...

(4) Man I'm too tired to play this game.

(5) 14-year-old stick flex... (I mean the player is 14 years old, not the stick...)

(6) You could hear this kid across the ice. Future ref. "That's a trip! That's a trip!!"

(7) Now this is crazy stick flex for a 14 year old. Again, the player, not the stick. Not sure how old these sticks are really.

(8) I shall fake right, then go left. You go the other way. Look at me. Sweet.

Thanks for the look. C&C... bring it on.
CHEERS!

Dec 03, 2012 at 03:58 AM
ian408
• • •
p.1 #2 · Hockey - Major Bantam... Couple quick ones

Nice color, white balance & action.

Crazy stick flex too

Dec 03, 2012 at 06:31 AM
Anthony Labbe
• •
p.1 #3 · Hockey - Major Bantam... Couple quick ones

As always...SPECTACULAR..the bar to attain.

Dec 03, 2012 at 05:47 PM
ACNYPhoto
• • •
p.1 #4 · Hockey - Major Bantam... Couple quick ones

Nice shots! It may be a 14 year old but thinking back on me being 14, I was the same size I am now. (I have a 13 year old I'm preparing to look at eye to eye in the net year, lol)

How bad do the lights cycle up your way? I've got a few local rinks where I'm better off leaving the WB on auto because every frame is a different color and even exposure.

Dec 03, 2012 at 06:38 PM
Hockey_Nut
• •
p.1 #5 · Hockey - Major Bantam... Couple quick ones

Hey Bud,

Good to see some more of your hockey shots. Hespeler eh? This the rink where we tried out my 400? Crazy stick flex in #7.

Tell #88 to keep his mouth guard in his mouth!

Talk to you soon.

Brent

Dec 04, 2012 at 05:48 AM
vilimo
• • •
p.1 #6 · Hockey - Major Bantam... Couple quick ones

Great stuff DJ

Dec 04, 2012 at 07:14 PM
dj dunzie
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Hockey - Major Bantam... Couple quick ones

Thanks everyone for the look and the comments... Much appreciated!

ACNY the rinks around here are all very different. This one's actually not bad for cycling although I still tweaked these in post, but other arenas give you a huge pink-blue shift twice in the same shot sometimes. I don't mind consistent dim lighting nearly as much as I hate heavy cycling in a brighter rink. More time in post and makes tourney shooting really rough. Best balance is all you can hope for sometimes.

Brent thanks man. Yeah same barn but other side. You have a good memory! Hope to see you soon!

Dec 07, 2012 at 01:59 PM
hilo90mhz

Account locked
p.1 #8 · Hockey - Major Bantam... Couple quick ones

Color is on point, And so is the White Balance.

Dec 09, 2012 at 01:01 PM
Ted ellis
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · Hockey - Major Bantam... Couple quick ones

Sweet shots DJ.

Dec 16, 2012 at 04:43 PM
mikekel
• • •
p.1 #10 · Hockey - Major Bantam... Couple quick ones

300 seems long for rinks? Do you use it for all ages? I tried HS from the penalty box and it gave me tight shots at the goal and far corners. Do you use any other lens? Your shots are great, always giving me something new to try.

Dec 19, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Frank Lauri
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Hockey - Major Bantam... Couple quick ones

deej....it's been a while - hope all is well. Great set here and that first one with the reflection of the ice is a neat grab. Faces are nicely exposed too. That flex in #7 is pretty sick....probably at the point of breaking with any slight breeze.

Nice work.

Dec 20, 2012 at 12:43 PM
dj dunzie
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · Hockey - Major Bantam... Couple quick ones

Hilo and Ted... thanks guys!

Mike I find the 300 is pretty good shooting from mid-ice for the way I shoot. It may be a little tight for neutral zone action, but for plays coming out of the zone it's great, and still long enough for goalie images like in #1. I don't bother shooting stuff coming out of the zone on my side as much, but I will go really tight for between-play candids as players come back to the bench. I'll even lean over and grab shots to the benches when I can from this spot...

I will sometimes take a 70-200 and shoot it from mid-ice but really I prefer the 300. The 70-200 is my choice if I shoot out of the corners because the 300 is pretty impractical there. Thanks for the comments Mike.

Frank... things are getting back into shape for myself and the family at last. 2012 was a tough year for a few reasons but we made it through I think. Nice to be back shooting again and hanging with great FM pals like you a little more! CHEERS!!

Dec 22, 2012 at 05:14 AM
mikekel
• • •
p.1 #13 · Hockey - Major Bantam... Couple quick ones

DJ - going to give it a try next week, thanks for the response.

Dec 23, 2012 at 03:18 PM
gschlact
• • •
p.1 #14 · Hockey - Major Bantam... Couple quick ones

DJ,
Fantastic WBand colors; and sharp all the way through the set.

More isolation shots, not much checking at this age? (I don't watch or see too much youth hockey).

This set looks like it is too easy for you
How about a head on shot of the craZy stick flex next time? (Jk)

One last question is about your black boarders, in some of them they appear to turn the 4x5 image crop onto 2x3. Meaning there is a 2x3 image underneath if the black boarder is removed which would make for easy retouch for print orders of different ratios. Is this the case for some of them? When I do my cropping, I usually do the opposite, I crop more often to 4x5 but slightly looser (width wise for portrait orientation) so that I can easily create a 2x3 keeping the portrait height and clipping the loose sides. This seems to maximize the subject height (your black boarders would be on the sides up and down then.

Guy

Dec 23, 2012 at 03:41 PM
dj dunzie
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · Hockey - Major Bantam... Couple quick ones

Hi Guy and thanks for the look.

Re the hitting... there actually is a fair amount at times at this level, guess I just didn't have any checking shots that stood out when I picked a quick few to post up.

Re the black borders - I only throw those on for my posting samples, they don't go like that for sales or to teams... and for cropping I usually try to go a little looser but find that a 5x7 crop is between a 2x3 and 4x5 ratio and leaves enough working space for prints either way... sometimes you don't have the luxury because of shooting too tight to start with or adjusting for tilted horizons, etc.

Thanks again for the comments... CHEERS

Dec 26, 2012 at 01:45 AM
hawksfan30
• •
p.1 #16 · Hockey - Major Bantam... Couple quick ones

nice to see you back dj! great stuff again!

Dec 26, 2012 at 09:13 PM
kris416
• •
p.1 #17 · Hockey - Major Bantam... Couple quick ones

DJ these are great shots! I WISH I could afford the 300 or even the 200. I do tournaments most weekends and have the 70-200 vr1 w/ a d7000. I try to set my WB according to the lighting but sometimes find even with a custom WB in a sequence it seems to jump around on me, wish I had an example to provide.
70-200 is definitely the way to go in the corners, but from the box i wish I had a 300 to get tighter goalie shots.

Again great stuff.

Dec 31, 2012 at 04:14 PM
mikekel
• • •
p.1 #18 · Hockey - Major Bantam... Couple quick ones

I did take your advice and brought my 300 to the next game. I did get some good shots but it was still tight. It was a JV game and it got a bit tight. I'll post some this weekend. I'm shooting an MKIV, maybe if I upgrade to a full frame and lose the crop. Going to try my 200f2 next week.

Jan 04, 2013 at 04:30 AM
kris416
• •
p.1 #19 · Hockey - Major Bantam... Couple quick ones

dj dunzie wrote:
Thanks everyone for the look and the comments... Much appreciated!

ACNY the rinks around here are all very different. This one's actually not bad for cycling although I still tweaked these in post, but other arenas give you a huge pink-blue shift twice in the same shot sometimes. I don't mind consistent dim lighting nearly as much as I hate heavy cycling in a brighter rink. More time in post and makes tourney shooting really rough. Best balance is all you can hope for sometimes.

Brent thanks man. Yeah same barn but other side. You have a good memory!
...Show more

Holy crap thank you for mentioning this... I experienced colour shifting in sequence shooting in some arenas and thought my camera was going insane on me (while I set WB manually). I tried looking up the problem but never found anything, and it only happens in some arenas.

Jan 08, 2013 at 02:52 AM
sozypozy
• • •
p.1 #20 · Hockey - Major Bantam... Couple quick ones

Love all the shots. The are bright and clean and very well focused

Jan 08, 2013 at 08:48 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password