Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Alaska- Mt McKinley

Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Alaska- Mt McKinley

I was reviewing some things in the Feb 2010 issue of Outdoor Photographer and- on page 16- came across a scene I remembered from the summers I worked in Alaska.
So I dug out this Kodachrome slide, scanned and processed it, and here it is.
The angle is slightly different than the published image, and my in-camera crop is tighter, plus there are other differences.
And I'm definitely not meaning to compare the two regarding quality; after all, that image was published in the magazine- and mine was not.
I just thought it was a curious coincidence.
BTW- I was a tour bus driver/lecturer at the time, and pulled off the George Parks Highway. Forty passengers piled out for the view, and the cameras clicked away (this was back when SLR mirrors were loud).
I used a 70-210 zoom and was near the long end of the range.

Dec 02, 2012 at 09:37 PM
stanparker
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Alaska- Mt McKinley

A beauty, Charlie, and I appreciate what a rare opportunity that was.

Dec 02, 2012 at 10:43 PM
dswiger
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Alaska- Mt McKinley

Charlie.
Really like this one. Just wish for a bit wider view to the right.
The near "rock/peak" gives depth & perspective.

Dan

Dec 02, 2012 at 11:37 PM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Alaska- Mt McKinley

Thanks Stan and Dan.
Because no roads take you closer than about 50 miles from Mt McKinley,
and the mountain is so massive and ice-covered that it makes its own climate,
and it's close to the ocean,
and summer is the rainy season in many parts of Alaska...
well, when "the mountain is out," in summer, it's always a thrill.
I took some wider views also, but this one shows the twin peaks about as big as possible- yet contains SOME other stuff on the right.... AND it includes just enough of the mid-ground rock/peak to give depth to the image, it's my favorite of the few I shot that day.
Charlie

Dec 03, 2012 at 03:31 AM
Grenache
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Alaska- Mt McKinley

Fantastic contrasts

Dec 03, 2012 at 05:05 AM
David Leask
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Alaska- Mt McKinley

Wow, she's a big lump Charlie, well captured.
David

Dec 03, 2012 at 03:03 PM
Vern Dewit
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Alaska- Mt McKinley

David Leask wrote:
Wow, she's a big lump Charlie, well captured.
David

+1!

Dec 03, 2012 at 03:14 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Alaska- Mt McKinley

Thanks Grenache, David and Vern.
Mt McKinley (aka Denali) has two major peaks on it- the South peak being taller than the North Peak by almost 1,000 feet. From this perspective, South Peak is on the left.
Charlie

Dec 03, 2012 at 11:07 PM
Fo Tollery
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Alaska- Mt McKinley

Very nice, Charlie....VERY nice! In a way, it reminds me a bit of the flightseeing tour my Dad & I did around Denali when there in '94.

Denali is easily the single most impressive mountain I've seen (coming from someone who's never been overseas....unless you count Cancun ). CO has a bunch of 14'ers, but heck they all start at 5-6K plus. Denali, for all intents & purposes, starts at sea level and goes what.....20k plus.

I guess we were pretty fortunate while there as it was 'out' for much of the time we were within sight range of it (arrived on 7/8).

Dec 04, 2012 at 12:02 AM
teked
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Alaska- Mt McKinley

Beautiful striking image, Charlie. Very nice.

Cheers,
Ed

Dec 04, 2012 at 12:37 AM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Alaska- Mt McKinley

This is stunning, indeed! I am wondering if you, Charlie, are going to take some enthusiastic photographers around somewhere for shooting this kind of scenery! I will definitely hop on the wagon or any moving vehicle!!
Cheers!
Kee

Dec 04, 2012 at 01:11 AM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Alaska- Mt McKinley

Thanks Fo, Ed and Kee.
Fo- you could probably travel the world and not see any mountain that is so high and massive and impressive.
Among the reasons is that Mt McKinley was never a volcano, so it's top is really massive.
At just over 20,000 feet above sea level, it's the world's tallest land mountain-ABOVE ITS BASE (which is near sea level as you noted).
It stands almost alone, even though it's part of a major chain- the Alaska Range.
Note- McKinley and the Alaska Range are NOT part of the Continental Divide; that's the Brooks Range, several hundred miles to the north.
For all their beauty and impressive numbers, the highest Himalayan peaks rise above the Tibetan Plateau- which is extremely high to begin with.
McKinley is snow-covered all year and has several mighty glaciers flowing down its flanks.
Kee- thanks for the compliment, but I've slowed down considerably the last few years. I saw many exciting places over a long time period- but those days are only to be remembered as I review my photographs and process some of them.
But there are organized tours that go to the right places at the right time.
And they don't waste time the way I did... i.e. sipping tea, smoking a delicious Burmese cigar and watching the multitudes of bicycles, motorbikes and rickshaws fighting for space on overcrowded streets in Mandalay- with no "rules of the road." Egad! I wasted a lot of time doing such silly things as that .
Charlie

Dec 04, 2012 at 02:32 AM
sidefunk
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Alaska- Mt McKinley

Wow, that shot is incredible. Can't imagine what it must have been like actually standing there. I have only a mental impression of seeing the Canadian Rockies for the first time and how immense they were, but i have no pictures of my own. Must be nice to have pictures of your extensive travels and be able to reflect upon them and certainly all the goods times you had. Thanks for sharing.

Dec 04, 2012 at 03:07 AM
tfoltz
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Alaska- Mt McKinley

Awesome

Dec 04, 2012 at 08:49 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password