Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Help me fix my colors (Im in basketball gym hell)

Paul L
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Help me fix my colors (Im in basketball gym hell)

This photo is representative if the yellow/orange look of the shots from a recent game...

What can i do to clean these up a bit?

(using CS5)

Edited on Dec 03, 2012 at 01:29 AM · View previous versions

Dec 02, 2012 at 08:05 PM
PShizzy
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · Help me fix my colors (Im in basketball gym hell)

I threw this into CS5, and just did a quick Curves adjustment, and used the eyedropper on one of the white wall bricks in the background. Looked a little cold, but the skin tones came through. I'd adjust to taste from there, but that got me in the ballpark.

Dec 02, 2012 at 08:22 PM
Bernie
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Help me fix my colors (Im in basketball gym hell)

You'll note that the gray players on the right have yellow highlights on their rears. If you use those points for your gray balance in curves, you might come up with something even more acceptable. Chances are, you might need to try a number of spots until you have something you will like.

Dec 02, 2012 at 08:25 PM
Paul L
• •
p.1 #4 · Help me fix my colors (Im in basketball gym hell)

Any suggestions for reducing this color cast in the future?

These high school gyms in our area have notoriously horrible light and brutal decor :-)

I wont use flash though- even though many are using them- I find it terribly distracting, especially when shooting from the baseline.

Dec 03, 2012 at 04:11 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

James Broome
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · Help me fix my colors (Im in basketball gym hell)

Paul L wrote:
Any suggestions for reducing this color cast in the future?

Open the image in camera raw and adjust the color temp slider to the correct temp. Next time you're in that gym, set your custom white balance to that number. It'll provide a much better start.

You can also shoot a white piece of paper before the game using a 1/30 shutter speed (to account for cycling lights), then set your custom WB using that image. It won't *fix* cycling lights, but it will help.

Dec 03, 2012 at 04:19 PM
Ben Amato
• • •
p.1 #6 · Help me fix my colors (Im in basketball gym hell)

Paul: What camera, lens and shooting settings are you using? AWB or Custom? Are all the shots this poor or is this one especially bad?

Ben

Dec 03, 2012 at 04:46 PM
Deborah Kolt
• •
p.1 #7 · Help me fix my colors (Im in basketball gym hell)

With cycling lights, you are always better off setting the kelvin than letting the camera try and figure it out. Your results will still vary, but not as wildly. You can eyeball it, trying different temperatures until the whites in the white jerseys look white. Or if you shoot there regularly, shoot raw, take a grey card and shoot a burst of shots of the card under the lights. Use a dropper to adjust in LR or other. Make a note of the temperatures of the magneta, blue and green frames and you will have a baseline for adjustment.

Trying to shoot at 1/60 is hopeless. First, it's impossible to stop motion and second, it's impossible to sync your shot with the beginning of a cycle, leaving you with frames half in one cycle half in the next. Shoot at as high shutter speed as you can manage to assure the majority of your frames are a single color and adjust each separately.

Has your sample shot had some color adjustments already? I ask that because the whites look white (though in the case of the shoes, it may be just be that they are overexposed and there are no pixels there), but the other colors either look too magenta (blues) or not magenta enough (yellows). If this was corrected and you have an original SOOC, post that. Otherwise, your best bet to salvage this at this point may be to go into Photoshop's Selective Colors (Image>Adjustments>Selective Colors.

It's hard for me to make corrections on a reduced size file, especially not having seen the original shade of the yellows, the blues in the padding and the doors, but for a start, you can go to the yellow channel, and push the magentas up to around 50%. That will bring the African American skin color to a more predominantly magenta hue. (You can fine tune based on your first hand knowledge of the players.) It also gives the door and floor more of a honey color, which is more common. Then pull down the cyans until you get it close to reality. If your yellows are still glowing, you may need to go into Hue and Adjustments and lower the saturation on the yellow channel a bit. In Selective Colors, you can go to the blues and tone down the magentas there. Adjust the whites as required. Etc., etc.

I played around with it and got the skin tones to something more natural, but given the small size of the file and my ignorance of the original hues, it is far from satisfactory.

Dec 04, 2012 at 03:34 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password