1       2       3       4      
       end

Archive 2012 · How do you print?

freaklikeme
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · How do you print?

cogitech wrote:
I have a few old glass thingies in a box in the basement which are resin coated.

I wouldn't recommend trying to make your own RC paper with that. It would be a dark and odorous printing surface.

Dec 12, 2012 at 12:03 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · How do you print?

I picked up a pack of Inkpress sample paper and, while I'm not a huge fan of high gloss, their metallic paper is very nice and impressively scratch resistant. The satin's decent too, though I like satin coatings even less than high gloss. The warm rag is probably the most impressive in the pack. I'm thinking about getting a box of 17x22 for some city B&Ws I'm going to hang in my bedroom (gold coat and all, Makten).

Dec 12, 2012 at 12:13 AM
cogitech
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · How do you print?

freaklikeme wrote:
I wouldn't recommend trying to make your own RC paper with that. It would be a dark and odorous printing surface.

I do remember something about resin coated paper from my university days... but I recall that the paper was quite thin, made by a company named "Zig-Zag", and one had to apply their own resin. Perhaps you have heard of them? A friend of mine was a good source of the resin, which he called "honey oil". The visuals were fantastic, but that's all I remember.

Dec 12, 2012 at 01:50 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · How do you print?

cogitech wrote:
I do remember something about resin coated paper from my university days... but I recall that the paper was quite thin, made by a company named "Zig-Zag", and one had to apply their own resin. Perhaps you have heard of them? A friend of mine was a good source of the resin, which he called "honey oil". The visuals were fantastic, but that's all I remember.

Honey oil for the golden haze.

You should come to Colorado next year, Paul, when Denver becomes the Mile Higher City and Boulder Valley develops perma-fog.

Dec 12, 2012 at 04:48 PM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · How do you print?

freaklikeme wrote:
Honey oil for the golden haze.

You should come to Colorado next year, Paul, when Denver becomes the Mile Higher City and Boulder Valley develops perma-fog.

Well, I purchased an RV last summer and I do plan to do extensive traveling before my daughters are too old to want to come along. Colorado wasn't on the list before, but perhaps it should be.

Dec 12, 2012 at 04:54 PM
helimat
• • • • •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · How do you print?

cogitech wrote:
Other: Walmart or Costco.

Cheap, fast, consistent, they don't "optimize" anything if I ask them nicely (I get a print that matches the JPEG I give them and, most importantly, none of my clients have ever complained.

Hey Paul, now that you are a well established BC resident, have you had a chance to try the lab at London Drugs? I have used them quite a bit and have not had an issue yet. They frequently have great sales as well.

Dec 14, 2012 at 10:34 PM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · How do you print?

helimat wrote:
Hey Paul, now that you are a well established BC resident, have you had a chance to try the lab at London Drugs? I have used them quite a bit and have not had an issue yet. They frequently have great sales as well.

I have not, but I am actually going to be running a bunch of prints through some local shops (the usual suspects) in order to figure out which we will use for the upcoming wedding season. We will be attending the local Bridal Show and need to print a bunch of stuff in early Jan as well. Thanks for the tip. I will add them to the list.

Dec 14, 2012 at 10:48 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · How do you print?

I used to print at home (had a Canon 9000II and 9500II), but it got expensive. I now use Millers and am extremely happy with the quality and service

Dec 14, 2012 at 10:59 PM
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.