Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       5       end

Archive 2012 · How do you print?

Mirek Elsner
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How do you print?

I have seen hundreds, possibly thousands of images here in the alt forum and many discussions about postprocessing and downsizing for web. How about printing, though? Do you print? What are your preferences? Do you put as much effort to printing as you do to selection of lenses or web presentation?

Thanks!

Dec 02, 2012 at 07:20 PM
naturephoto1
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How do you print?

I sell my work and my printer for the last 18 years has been Bill Nordstrom of EverColor Fine Art fame and now known as Laser Light Printmaking. We used to print on the LightJet 5000, then the Chromira both on Fuji Crystal Archive Photo paper. Since Bill has sold the Chromira machine we print either Inkjet on Big Canon printers for my less expensive work or now preferably as Metal Prints for my pieces that are 13" x 20" or 16" X 20" and larger.

Well I screwed up on the survey and I accidentally hit no printing instead of other. So, please keep this in mind for the tallies, unless someone can reset this for me.

Rich

Edited on Dec 02, 2012 at 09:44 PM · View previous versions

Dec 02, 2012 at 07:28 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How do you print?

I use SIHL Baryt for colour, and Hahnemühle Photo Rag Bright White for B&W. I have some other papers to test, but I am reasonably sure that I will stay with these two.

Dec 02, 2012 at 07:38 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How do you print?

Mirek Elsner wrote:
I have seen hundreds, possibly thousands of images here in the alt forum and many discussions about postprocessing and downsizing for web. How about printing, though? Do you print?

Yes,

What are your preferences?
Preferences? Not sure what you mean but if that's the question reflected in the poll options then I use InkJet with the best papers available at the department store made by the same maker as the printers I have (Epson or Canon).

Do you put as much effort to printing as you do to selection of lenses or web presentation?
As lens selection, no... I'm a lens hound. As web sized of the same, then more actually. Tuning the image to look awesome on a printer is a little more difficult than for web-sized scales.

Dec 02, 2012 at 08:35 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How do you print?

All of the above. Making the right choice for printing/paper type is, to me, just as important as everything we do with gear on the image-capturing end.

Dec 02, 2012 at 08:45 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · How do you print?

I do all of my printing aside from 4x6s with WHCC. I believe they do a true photographic print from digital. My 4x6 shots are printed on a Canon Selphy 800, which is dye sublimation.

Dec 02, 2012 at 09:15 PM
hauxon
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · How do you print?

I kind of gave up on printing myself. Ink is expensive and dries up if not used regularly so when the print head of my Canon 9000 gave up I decided not to replace it since all I sell goes anyways to the Fuji Film pro lab here in Iceland, both regular and canvas. Sometimes inconvenient not having a good printer at home but it's my way of protesting ridiculous ink prices.

I choose luster for prints that end up behind a glass in a frame (most smaller prints do) and for canvas I let the lab coat it with matte protective coating.

Hrannar

Dec 02, 2012 at 10:09 PM
eosfun
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · How do you print?

I do my A4 (about 8x10) prints on a Solid Ink printer. It's cheap (about 14 cent per A4 print on 220 grams paper) and the results are "press print like". I use this mainly for distributing photos to family, friends and sportsclubs to people who are impressed by size, rather than ultimate photo quality. To my taste prints are much better than colour laserjets, but photo inkjets are better than the Solid Ink printers. The speed, low cost and the fact that the wax prints are not critical for surface and material to print makes it a great solution for normal quality prints at low cost for me. I can do prints on paper, as well on plastics, transparents, even metal sheets, etc. Colours come out very consistent, better than any inkjet printer does on non-compatible media. I bought my Phaser 8560 ADN with a lot of wax based colour sticks second hand from a press service agent at a bargain price.

I also have a Canon S9000 and Pixma Pro printer for colour critical prints. I like the S9000 for the low cost ink and possibility to use refill cartridges. The Pixma Pro is the better printer but the cost of a print prohibits the use for give aways or prints that have to be done at low cost. Best results are from Canon paper and profiles for printer/paper combo's. I have done some printing on Hahnemühle paper, great paper, but what a mess and waste of paper and ink before I had the results that I wanted. It's now easier with good profiles, but still I find the loss of sheets when results are just a tad off waste of money and time spend. In general, when I do inkjet printing I do several different testprints with different settings in teststrips before I am satisfied. Aslo cleaning heads and wasting expensive special ink is a returning excercise every month. That makes inkjet printing more expensive than it should be. It's again like in the darkroom. Printing was never quick and easy or cheap if you wanted the best results. But then results from the inkjet printers are most satisfying from all kinds of prints.

Since the Solid Ink prints are too low in quality for work that I want to be a better showcase, but not always worth the investment in time and money for homemade prints from the inkjets, I also buy some printing from labs every now and then. That varies from series 20x30cm and bigger RC silver halide prints, to canvas prints, coffeetable photobooks, mouse pads, etc.

10x15 cm to 20x30cm prints are prints that I can have done via our Agfa Digilab 2 printer in the camerastore. As some of you know I am co-owner of a camerastore that I have with a friend and businesspartner who runs the daily business. So these prints are almost free for me, but though the quality of the prints do remind of old classic photos, the quality (especially colour gamut) is not up to the standards of modern inkjet printers. So basically I use this "service" from my own camerastore only for the purpose of bulk prints that I don't want to spend all my time. Typically a family holiday with my brother and sisters and we print some sets of snapshots from on card we dump our photos that we want to share in print (who wants that these days anyway ). My parents seem to be the greatest consumers of these prints

To be honest, printing is gradually becoming of less interest to me anyway. I have all the print gear, but for my own use increasingly I share my pictures via social media and a personal website, more than anything else. For business use it has become common use to deliver files and let the customers decide wether he wants to use those for websites, Prezis, PowerPoints, corporate brochures, or whatever.

Edited on Dec 02, 2012 at 10:15 PM · View previous versions

Dec 02, 2012 at 10:13 PM
Makten
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · How do you print?

I don't print and never did. I just don't understand why my images should be presented on paper, since I forget about them in a couple of days and I will in most cases never look at them again after they are finished.

When I see exhibitions with prints, I often think they look like crap. Honestly, and especially if the images are captured with digital cameras. I've never seen one single print that made me think "wow, I have to start making prints".

Dec 02, 2012 at 10:15 PM
mortyb
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · How do you print?

That's pretty harsh, Makten. Personally I'd say there's little that can compete with having a big, nice print of a great moment/memory on the wall. I have a Pixma 9000 Mark II which is nice, but as Hrannar, I tend to use pro labs for anything I really want to look good (and big) on the wall.

Dec 02, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Makten
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · How do you print?

mortyb wrote:
That's pretty harsh, Makten.

Yeah, hit me! Of course I wrote in a harsh manner to get a discussion going. I'm sick and tired of this constant talk of that "what matters is prints". Really? How come photography matters more than most things to me, even though I don't print?

Dec 02, 2012 at 10:51 PM
Edgars Kalnins
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · How do you print?

I don`t print, but mainly because I can't afford good quality prints - or so I think having never tried. Almost feel ashamed of never trying! But I want to.

Dec 02, 2012 at 11:04 PM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · How do you print?

adoramapix + styrene backing.

Dec 02, 2012 at 11:18 PM
briantho
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · How do you print?

I use online photo labs. It's ridiculously cheap, cheaper than I could buy paper for, and superb quality. Every now and then they also have a half price drive. I won't be buying a printer.

Dec 02, 2012 at 11:21 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · How do you print?

Makten wrote:
I don't print and never did. I just don't understand why my images should be presented on paper, since I forget about them in a couple of days and I will in most cases never look at them again after they are finished.

When I see exhibitions with prints, I often think they look like crap. Honestly, and especially if the images are captured with digital cameras. I've never seen one single print that made me think "wow, I have to start making prints".

Yep, I pretty much feel the exact opposite. Printing images keeps me from forgetting them on a large hard drive, and I prefer viewing photographs printed on media, rather than on a computer screen (not that one is more relevant than the other.)

To be honest, I'd say most photographers are lucky to capture more than a handful of great images per year, and printing forces one to be a little more selective in how many photos they put out in the world. Digital photography glut drives me a little crazy, and, when I do see a remarkable image online, I usually enquire whether the artist has a gallery show that will be coming through my town, so that I can see his/her work in person (or I buy his/her book, if available.)

For me, printing is a necessary step of the process, but I don't think displaying an image on a digital screen is any more right or wrong. I just don't prefer it.

As far as printing at home vs sourcing it out, I like printing on my own, since I prefer controlling the entire process, but I still source things out if I want to use a size or media that I'm not able to produce. No biggie either way. Financially, I should probably source all of my prints out.

Dec 02, 2012 at 11:54 PM
Makten
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · How do you print?

douglasf13 wrote:
Printing images keeps me from forgetting them on a large hard drive...

I hear you, but honestly I wouldn't even care if all of my photos were lost in a hard drive failure. They are worth nothing and I only shoot because I want to please myself and my eyes for the moment. I guess this is a fairly uncommon approach, but that's how I feel.

Dec 03, 2012 at 12:02 AM
corposant
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · How do you print?

Is there anyway we can change the "No Printing" option to "Like Mapplethorpe... can't be bothered with it?"

Dec 03, 2012 at 12:46 AM
Mirek Elsner
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · How do you print?

naturephoto1 wrote:
I sell my work and my printer for the last 18 years has been Bill Nordstrom of EverColor Fine Art fame and now known as Laser Light Printmaking. We used to print on the LightJet 5000, then the Chromira both on Fuji Crystal Archive Photo paper. Since Bill has sold the Chromira machine we print either Inkjet on Big Canon printers for my less expensive work or now preferably as Metal Prints for my pieces that are 13" x 20" or 16" X 20" and larger.

I never heard about Metal Prints. I looked at their web site and it looks interesting. I am definitely putting it on my list of things to try.

Dec 03, 2012 at 01:02 AM
naturephoto1
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · How do you print?

Mirek Elsner wrote:
I never heard about Metal Prints. I looked at their web site and it looks interesting. I am definitely putting it on my list of things to try.

There are a number of labs that offer this service including the more common labs such as Bay Photo. I trust Bill though since he has been my printer for so long and he is one of the best and best known digital printers in the US and the world.

As Bill likes to tell me the Metal prints (a sublimation process to aluminum) have more Wow factor than conventional prints. They are sharper with better, more saturated color, better shadow detail, better contrast, and deeper blacks than any other color printing technique that I have seen. Bill estimates that the inks that he is using will have an estimated life of about 100 years which is not as long as some of the Canon and other newer pigmented inks (which are into the hundreds of years) but these other methods do not have the kind of "look" of the metal.

Rich

Dec 03, 2012 at 01:12 AM
Mirek Elsner
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · How do you print?

There are a number of labs that offer this service including the more common labs such as Bay Photo. I trust Bill though since he has been my printer for so long and he is one of the best and best known digital printers in the US and the world.

As Bill likes to tell me the Metal prints (a sublimation process to aluminum) have more Wow factor than conventional prints. They are sharper with better, more saturated color, better shadow detail, better contrast, and deeper blacks than any other color printing technique that I have seen. Bill estimates that the inks
...Show more

I did not use any lab for some time now, but as far as I remember, my lab (WCI) did not do that. I imagine the prints are similar to glossy Ilfochrome, correct?

Dec 03, 2012 at 01:29 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password