Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Utah Lake sunrise

ben egbert
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Utah Lake sunrise

Taken Nov. 28 with the light of a full moon at the start and continued until the rosy fingered dawn. Note in the first two shots that Venus is casting a beam on the water.

Moonlight

Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III    EF16-35mm f/2.8L II USM lens    16mm    f/5.6    30s    640 ISO    0.0 EV  

First light

Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III    TS-E17mm f/4L lens    17mm    f/4.5    25s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

Sun rise

Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III    EF24-70mm f/2.8L II USM lens    28mm    f/6.3    1/40s    100 ISO    +0.3 EV  

Dec 02, 2012 at 03:54 PM
stanparker
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Utah Lake sunrise

Love the third one, Ben, especially the ripples.

Dec 02, 2012 at 06:15 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Utah Lake sunrise

Great series Ben. On the second, I would crop a little bit on the top. Love the ripples on the third.
Thanks for sharing!
Fred

Dec 02, 2012 at 07:21 PM
helenica
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Utah Lake sunrise

Nice shots, especially the third.

Dec 02, 2012 at 07:53 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Utah Lake sunrise

Thanks all for your replies. I sort of expected the 3rd to be a favorite.

Fred, as you probably know, you need an UWA to freeze stars with long shutters. My first was 16mm but being a non TSE, I was forced to tilt upward. The 17TSE while a bit slow is a great star lens when you have enough light because it is so sharp wide open and the shift allows you to include lots of sky without tilting the camera.

But for this shot, and with not much in the way of stars a 16x9 crop is probably in order as I did with the 16mm shot.

These moonlight shots are a work in progress. I see others doing them more often as well.

Dec 02, 2012 at 08:31 PM
savingspaces
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Utah Lake sunrise

All 3 are beautiful, but prefer the first 2 because they are different (for me at least). Don't see many of them.

Dec 02, 2012 at 09:45 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Utah Lake sunrise

savingspaces wrote:
All 3 are beautiful, but prefer the first 2 because they are different (for me at least). Don't see many of them.

That is a much appreciated comment. This style seems to be a bit slow catching on but I really like it and will keep plugging away. I really need a camera with higher iso capability however.

Dec 02, 2012 at 11:22 PM
philtax
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Utah Lake sunrise

Hi Ben,

Great set - #2 is my favorite because of the wonderful light on the distant hills.

Phil

Dec 02, 2012 at 11:37 PM
Zeph
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Utah Lake sunrise

Great place to watch the world go round...
Thanks for sharing these...Very enjoyable!

Dec 02, 2012 at 11:47 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Utah Lake sunrise

Hey Ben,

I really like the color in #3 the best. That's a very pleasing shot. In both #1 and 2, I like the look of the sky and the water, but I really am not a fan of having a shoreline, especially one with no visual interest, cut across the bottom of the scene like in both of those. For me, going to the edge of the water, or perhaps shooting further down on the beach would have been my preference.

Jim

Dec 03, 2012 at 12:23 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Utah Lake sunrise

Thanks Phil and Zeph.

Jim, that third shot was taken from further down and where there was a point of land to stand on. I figured it out too late for the first two. I am still looking for a better place for this sort of shot.

Dec 03, 2012 at 12:49 AM
uintaangler
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Utah Lake sunrise

Great stuff Ben and ( not to be mean ) particularly knowing that with Utah Lake you are definitely taking a lemon and making lemonade

Dec 03, 2012 at 01:47 AM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Utah Lake sunrise

Thanks, its not very photogenic is it. But this is my practice place for moonlight shots. I used Deer Creek Reservoir last year by the island but the water is so low this year my spot is dry.

Dec 03, 2012 at 01:56 AM
ScaryFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Utah Lake sunrise

Great set. I am most drwan to the subtle tones of the second. That hint of warmth in the early light is excellent.
Ute

Dec 03, 2012 at 10:11 AM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Utah Lake sunrise

Thanks Ute, figuring out WB is tough for these shots when it is pretty dark and colorless in person.

Dec 03, 2012 at 03:37 PM
nburwell
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Utah Lake sunrise

Your last shot is brilliant, Ben. Excellent work!

-Nick

Dec 03, 2012 at 04:16 PM
srxiaoj

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Utah Lake sunrise

I like the first one, with the moon shining and peacefullake

Dec 03, 2012 at 04:23 PM
andyjaggy82
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Utah Lake sunrise

I like the last one. I really love that ripple at the bottom, that adds a lot to the image..... now I am going to try throwing rocks in the water when I shoot at Utah lake next.

Utah lake is hard to shoot.. because, well frankly it's just not that pretty. It's one of those rare places that usually looks better in photographs than in person. Finding a really good spot to shoot from is rather hard.

Utah lake gets really fun when we get those huge broken up ice sheets in the winter, that hasn't happened yet, and if the weather doesn't start cooling off a bit more it may not happen at all.

Dec 03, 2012 at 05:23 PM
jerbear00
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Utah Lake sunrise

Love the ripples on the third

Dec 03, 2012 at 05:32 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Utah Lake sunrise

Nick, srxiaoj: I really appreciate any comments on the moonlight shots as this is a style I am really working on. The moon was behind me, that's Venus casting a beam in the first two.

jerbear00: The ripple in the third was from the gentle waves covering and uncovering a rock.

Andy: You know the Lake so I don't have to tell you much. I do like the shape of the mountains behind Spanish fork. I got one last winter with a reflection of the mountains on ice. The real hard part is cutting through the haze that seems to be always lingering here.

Dec 03, 2012 at 06:59 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password