New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Off Camera Flash for Nikon

TFrazior
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Off Camera Flash for Nikon

Hello All, I am new to the Forums and Love what I have seen so far.
Ok I have a question for ya'll Has anyone ever used a SIGMA EF-610 DG Super Flash with there Nikon Camera as an off camera Flash? http://www.sigmaphoto.com/shop/ef610-dg-super-sigma I have not bought a flash yet but I do not want to spend $550 for an SB-910 but also looking at the SB-700 . What do you say to get and why?

Have I have:
Camera
d7000

Lens I use all the time
Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8D ED AF
35mm f/1.8G
17-55mm f/2.8G IF-ED
18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR

Dec 02, 2012 at 10:49 AM
stevenvh
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Off Camera Flash for Nikon

Hi, sorry no one has responded to your question. I assume many will vouch for and recommend Nikon's dedicated flashes and their Creative Lighting System (CLS). Also, if you're new to flash photography, automation will probably seem very attractive.
I've used dedicated flash/lighting systems on Canon and Pentax and was not happy with the process or results, especially when using multiple flash units. I always found I could get better results easier with manual settings.
So when I switched back to Nikon I kept 2 Pentax AF-500 flashes which are very well made, powerful, adjustable, etc and have an integrated optical slave sensor. To trigger the slaves I use an SB-28 either on-camera with a modifier or off camera with a radio trigger. For single off-camera flash I usually use the
SB-28 and a radio trigger. And all the above with manual settings.
By doing a little math and with some trial and error you can easily determine proper flash settings and save a bunch of money. I think I paid @ $75 for the SB-28 and @ $100 ea for the Pentax flashes.
I would highly recommend the strobist site for good reading on flash photography: http://strobist.blogspot.com/

Good luck and enjoy.

Dec 13, 2012 at 10:55 PM
SweetMk
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Off Camera Flash for Nikon

You have not said how experienced with flash you are. Learning to use a new flash is tough enough, adding the wireless makes things much more complicated.

If you use the SC-29 cord there is less to learn, at one time. It gets the flash off camera within the length of the cord.

As to which flash, I would get a Nikon from KEH, SB600, 700, 800, or 900.

I lucked out and got a SB600 at Best Buy when they were $149.

I use a SB-26 as a slave on manual for fill purposes, from KEH. These work great with my D7000.

I follow the KISS principle whenever possible.

John

Dec 13, 2012 at 11:23 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Off Camera Flash for Nikon

i currently own 3 small flash units
1- Nikon SB900
1- Nikon SB700
1- Nissin MG8000

and the SU800 commander

all 3 work within the Nikon CLS system

i do like the SB700 on the D7000 as they are an excellent match except the D700 does not accept an external HV power supply. it is a good portable unit for non extended work.

the SB900 has considerably higher output then the 700 but is limited in its high output continuous abilities and can suffer from shutdowns when used with a HVPP. the 910 doesn't shut down but slows down under the same situation. it/they are still outstanding lights. they do accept a HVPP and have high repeat rates for somewhat limited intervals before either slowing down or shutting down

the Nissin MG8000 is built to take a beating. continuous high output work is its specialty. it is pretty much on par and in some ways exceeds the 910 by a bit. it will allow continuous high output work for considerably long work intervals. it is more robustly made in the flash tube region so it just keeps going as long as you feed it right. it does not seem to be quite as efficient as the 900/910 though for power consumption. full sing burst on internal batteries is a roughly 4 sec recycle. this unit was meant for an external HV powerpack usage. full output recycle time is bat of an eye. instead of a slide up bounce card it has a primary flashtube and a smaller secondary one for fill and it is output controllable too. it has become my primary artificial light source vs the SB series

you chose your tools by the work you do. if its occasional needs the SB700. if you are going into the wedding/event business i would bypass the 910 and use something that is designed for continuous duty. that would be the MG8000 as the baseline and up from there.

there is now cover it all though the 910 will fit snug in the middle. as i said they all play nicely together too and that is a must.

Dec 14, 2012 at 07:41 AM
runamuck
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Off Camera Flash for Nikon

Nothing wrong with Sigma. If Nikon comes out with a brand new TTL spec with new cameras, it won't work with it. The SB910 probably won't either. Ssave the money and put the savings toward new glass.

Dec 14, 2012 at 03:26 PM
TFrazior
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Off Camera Flash for Nikon

thank you for all the insights to this. I think I am going to go with a SB-600 and us a SB-28 as a filler.

Dec 30, 2012 at 08:52 PM
lara_ckl
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Off Camera Flash for Nikon

runamuck wrote:
Nothing wrong with Sigma. If Nikon comes out with a brand new TTL spec with new cameras, it won't work with it. The SB910 probably won't either. Ssave the money and put the savings toward new glass.

The SB900 is software upgradable. I believe so is the SB910. If Nikon ever changes their iTTL (CLS) specs, I suspect they would release a firmware update for their flagship flashes. Pure speculation, but at least, with the SB900/910, firmware updates are a possibility.

Dec 30, 2012 at 09:46 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.