Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2012 · How to prevent ghosting with slow shutter speeds??

BrianO
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · How to prevent ghosting with slow shutter speeds??

no_surrender wrote:
I was trying to light only the subject which I thought would have allowed me to show motion blur in the other people, but freeze the main subject. It worked for the most part, but I still ended up with some ghosting.

http://www.kcrawphotography.com/People/Dragons-Den/i-LnZjMq8/0/XL/_MG_5731-XL.jpg

...3. On camera flash used only to trigger off camera flash to their left. Ghost city.

Yeah, a 1-second exposure will do that!

Also, I don't think the flash placement was very effective; two of the guys are almost totally shadowed by the others, and none of them are really flatteringly lit IMO. A single flash was enough at that range and at your chosen ISO of 400, but I would have placed it more-centered over the lens and about a foot above head height. (That would also have allowed a faster shutter to eliminate motion blur, while still capturing the BG.)

Jan 05, 2013 at 09:36 AM
no_surrender
• • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · How to prevent ghosting with slow shutter speeds??

BrianO wrote:
Yeah, a 1-second exposure will do that!

Also, I don't think the flash placement was very effective; two of the guys are almost totally shadowed by the others, and none of them are really flatteringly lit IMO. A single flash was enough at that range and at your chosen ISO of 400, but I would have placed it more-centered over the lens and about a foot above head height. (That would also have allowed a faster shutter to eliminate motion blur, while still capturing the BG.)

This shot wasn't used...only here to demonstrate what I was dealing with. I was flustered and rushing myself because they were about to open.

Hindsight is 20/20 and I agree, moving the flash to where you've described would have helped immensely!

The first part of my quote you have there was in regards to image 1 or 2, not the group shot.

One of these days I'm hoping to find a mentor in my local area to help guide me through some of these conditions I find myself in. In the meantime though and as always, a big thank you for always helping me here on the forums!

Kevin

Jan 05, 2013 at 10:06 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · How to prevent ghosting with slow shutter speeds??

no_surrender wrote:
...The first part of my quote you have there was in regards to image 1 or 2, not the group shot.

Yeah, I meant to cut that part out and lead with the photo; my hand must have slipped on my touch pad.

Anyway, keep up the practice. Thank goodness for digital! When I was getting started everything was on film, and we'd have to wait hours (and sometimes days) to get feedback on our shots, not to mention the per-picture costs associated with film and processing.

Jan 05, 2013 at 10:17 AM
basehorhonda
• •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · How to prevent ghosting with slow shutter speeds??

The thing that I was thinking about after reading this post is that sometimes you have to know the limitations of your equipment. While Im sure you could have pulled off these photos with your equipment, sometime you just have to concede that your equipment just isnt good enough. If your body shoots poor images at anything over iso 800, then you have to realize that. Also once you realized that you were getting some ghosting, then you need to realize that the shot you want you just wont be able to pull it off. I understand about wanting the nice glow of the tree and etc, but if its not working, then you just need to worry about getting the subject right, since that is the most important thing anyways.

Im not trying to beat you up, I really am not. Just throwing in my .02. Trust me Ive been in your shoes before. Good luck on your future shoots.

Jan 06, 2013 at 01:14 PM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · How to prevent ghosting with slow shutter speeds??

basehorhonda wrote:
The thing that I was thinking about after reading this post is that sometimes you have to know the limitations of your equipment. While Im sure you could have pulled off these photos with your equipment, sometime you just have to concede that your equipment just isnt good enough. If your body shoots poor images at anything over iso 800, then you have to realize that.

Agreed with all your points. Just notice he's using a 5D2, which is certainly capable of good ISO 3200 and he hasn't yet had the courage to push it beyond ISO 400 IIRC. You're right in that one must work within the limitations of the gear (or change gear), but in this case he hasn't hit those limits yet.

Jan 06, 2013 at 04:39 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.