New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Upgrading equipment

zackrexroad

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Upgrading equipment

Hi everyone. I am an amateur photographer that is going to school for photography. I have kindof started my own little business on the side of working and going to school just doing little shoots here and there. I've been running it for a little while now and things are picking up and I am getting a much bigger reach on customers outside of just family and friends. I've also been making a rather nice income and would like to invest in some new camera gear. I currently only have a nikon d200 and a sigma 18-200mm os lens. I have kindof already set my mind on getting a nikon D300 because i love my d200 and would like to keep the faster frames, metal body build, and the bigger size and it is in my price range. However I am having a hard time deciding on my lens choice. I definately want something with better optic quality and i would really like to have something snappy. I was hoping i could get some suggestions on lens choice. I dont want to blow my pocketbook on this lens, and i would really like to have a decent range on this lens or lenses. Any suggestions?

I was thinking something like the nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8, the nikon 16-85mm, and the nikon 12-24. Some sort of combo like this would be ideal. I am also interested in like a 300mm of some sort, but something that doesnt cost an arm and a leg. haha thank you!

Dec 01, 2012 at 11:21 PM
fishfilm
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Upgrading equipment

What do you shoot?

Dec 01, 2012 at 11:30 PM
zackrexroad

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Upgrading equipment

A little bit of everything right now. But mainly portraits (indoor and outdoor), ALOT of nature stuff, and im trying to get into more action stuff as well (skateboarding, drifting, etc.) so there isnt really anything in specific. haha

Dec 02, 2012 at 12:23 AM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Upgrading equipment

Tamron 17-50 teamed up with a Sigma 50-150 is far sharper than the 18-200 you have now.

I did pick up a used Nikon 18-135 a few weeks ago and I am pleased as Punch with it. Sharp, sharp sharp.

Dec 02, 2012 at 12:38 AM
zackrexroad

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Upgrading equipment

hmmm. ok, i just know that its really inconvenient having the range stop and start at 50mm. I had the 55-200 nikon at one point and it was just really annoying having to switch back and forth...... with my old smaller lens. So i would rather have something more like the range of the 16-85, 24-70, or the 18-135, but i dont want to pay for the 24-70. haha

Dec 02, 2012 at 12:43 AM
rangefindr

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Upgrading equipment

In that case, look into the Tamron 28-75: similar lens, but with a more full frame friendly range (or crop in this case if you prefer the longer end). But once again, very sharp and excellent value for performance. You'll definitely want to get something fast for shooting those portraits, so maybe toss in an 85 1.8 as well.

For ultra wide, you can't go wrong with the Tokina 11-16, or 12-24 if you want something a little longer, both still cheaper than the Nikkor. The 70-300VR works fabulously for me, but I don't shoot very much in terms of sports and you'll definitely want the 2.8 speed if you in shoot anything dark.

The D300 is a solid performer for it's cost, you can easily find a couple in the B&S board at an excellent price. Almost any new lens will be an upgrade for you from the 18-200: good luck!

Dec 02, 2012 at 01:52 AM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Upgrading equipment

Generally, money decides whether or not you can have sharp and snappy. Most 3rd party lenses are cheaper, but not as snappy when it comes to acquiring focus. Check the Buy&Sell forum for DX lens that can be less expensive than FX lenses. The Sigma 50-150 is a pretty good lens for the money.

Dec 02, 2012 at 02:13 AM
zackrexroad

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Upgrading equipment

yah, I was thinking of doing something like this:

12-24, 16-85, 80-200, 300prime.

but I did just find an amazing price on the sigma 50-500mm. haha
any comments on that lens?

Dec 02, 2012 at 02:17 AM
zackrexroad

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Upgrading equipment

I was also wondering if there is any lens that compliments the nikkor 80-200 f/2.8 lens but on the smaller range? something with similar build and quality but between 18 and 80 ish range? something kinda like the 24-70 but a tad older and cheaper? haha

Dec 02, 2012 at 03:54 AM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Upgrading equipment

Make sure you find out why it's an amazing price.

Dec 02, 2012 at 04:04 AM
zackrexroad

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Upgrading equipment

yah, i will look deeply into why that is. haha im not just gonna spend that much and find out something is wrong. haha

Dec 02, 2012 at 04:12 AM
hijazist
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Upgrading equipment

The 80-200 2.8 is an amazing lens and I had it back when I had the D300 but I sold it due to it's bulk and weight. I am an amateur like you and was so excited about a fast "pro" tele but after two weeks I realized that size does factor into how much use the lens gets... Not just that but also people freak out whenever they see the lens especially with the hood! I replaced it then with a 55-300 VR and couldn't be happier. The D300 is an amazing camera and with the new models hysteria its price has gone down unprecedented levels.

My DX kit was (and it covered almost anything I wanted to shoot):

Tokina 11-16 2.8
Tamron 17-50 2.8 Non-VC
Nikon 55-300VR (I would get the 70-300 VR for a $100 more)
Nikon 60 AF-S 2.8 Macro

One last thing, buy used from the B&S!!

Dec 02, 2012 at 04:40 AM
Mishu01
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Upgrading equipment

In general there is a consensus that for DX a 17-50 or 17-55 mm lens is the best walk around... When I had a DX body I found this not very convenient for my style of shooting and my preferred kit was based on three lenses:

Nikon 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5
Tamron 28-75/2.8
Sigma 150mm f/2.8 micro (used mostly as a tele... a fabulous lens IMHO)

I'd warmly recommend a similar path, eventually for a more practical kit something like:

Tokina 11-16/2.8 or 12-24/4
Nikon 24-120/4 VR
Nikon 180/2.8

Lately you can add a 300/4 AF-S and you are settled.

Dec 02, 2012 at 08:30 AM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Upgrading equipment

Go through your shots, and see where you are shooting the most. Start with that focal range first. There isn't a one lens solution for f/2.8 territory, at least not yet. A Tamron 17-50 is a pretty good lens and a little less than half of the cost of a used Nikon 17-55, but you'll give up the speedy focus of the 17-55, the Tamron can hunt a bit. An 80-200 f/2.8 push/pull could be a nice addition to use till your funds improve, you can improve the snappiness of the focus by using the focus limiting function of it.

There's also a Rokinon 85 f/1.4 that would be good for portraits, used, you can find them about $200~

What's your total budget for lenses?

zackrexroad wrote:
Hi everyone. I am an amateur photographer that is going to school for photography. I have kind of started my own little business on the side of working and going to school just doing little shoots here and there. I've been running it for a little while now and things are picking up and I am getting a much bigger reach on customers outside of just family and friends. I've also been making a rather nice income and would like to invest in some new camera gear. I currently only have a nikon d200 and a sigma 18-200mm os lens.
...Show more

Dec 02, 2012 at 08:50 AM
james.d53
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Upgrading equipment

zackrexroad wrote:
Hi everyone. I am an amateur photographer that is going to school for photography. I have kindof started my own little business on the side of working and going to school just doing little shoots here and there. I've been running it for a little while now and things are picking up and I am getting a much bigger reach on customers outside of just family and friends. I've also been making a rather nice income and would like to invest in some new camera gear. I currently only have a nikon d200 and a sigma 18-200mm os lens. I
...Show more

It looks to me like you plan to be in this for the long haul. If so, buy good glass. Buy one at a time when you can afford. Save up your money because these lenses are going to be expensive. I personally wouldn't waste my time with DX lenses unless I planned to stay with DX bodies. Start with a good medium zoom or a prime. The 50mm is a good lens for a starter. The 1.8 is an inexpensive 50mm and it gets good reviews. That will give you a perfect portrait lens on a D300. Pick up a used 24-70 from a forum member if you can afford it. This is an outstanding lens and will most likely be a keeper for many years. If you can't afford that, look for a 24-120 f/4 used. It is, IMO, the best alternative to the 24-70.

Don't try to get all of the ranges at once. You will end up spending much more money in the long run, because, for the most part, third party glass is just not as good on the Nikon body as the real deal!

Dec 02, 2012 at 09:25 AM
davidnholtjr
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Upgrading equipment

zackrexroad wrote:
I was also wondering if there is any lens that compliments the nikkor 80-200 f/2.8 lens but on the smaller range? something with similar build and quality but between 18 and 80 ish range? something kinda like the 24-70 but a tad older and cheaper? haha

Sigma has the 17-70mm f/2.8-4 OS which I hear is a good lens.

Dec 02, 2012 at 09:53 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Upgrading equipment

yes it is
mostly shot with the 17-70 mounted to a D7000
http://www.pbase.com/crusader/a_short_trip_to_california
it is the only DX lens I own.

Edited on Dec 03, 2012 at 07:35 AM · View previous versions

Dec 02, 2012 at 09:58 AM
zackrexroad

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Upgrading equipment

thanks for all the input.

Im trying to decide between a couple lenses for the mid range:
Nikkor 16-85mm
nikkor 24-120mm
nikkon 24-70mm (I just dont like the price tag on this lens.. haha)
and the 17-70 stated above.

And about the weight factor, im not very concerned about weight etc. If the weight comes with the better quality lenses, then im more then happy to deal with it.

Also i like the idea of getting all fx lenses. But as stated, i would have to go very slow on collecting everything i need.

Ive also begun debating on either the nikon D300s or the D7000. I really want to get the video function so i can start learning some about that.

Dec 02, 2012 at 12:33 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Upgrading equipment

zackrexroad wrote:
hmmm. ok, i just know that its really inconvenient having the range stop and start at 50mm. I had the 55-200 nikon at one point and it was just really annoying having to switch back and forth...... with my old smaller lens. So i would rather have something more like the range of the 16-85, 24-70, or the 18-135, but i dont want to pay for the 24-70. haha

Generally primes are going to be sharper than the zooms - unless we are talking about the "pro" line of zooms; but the price reflects that.

What factors are the most important to you? Price, IQ, convenience, speed? I was never a fan of primes, but after shooting with one and seeing the results; I haven't owned a zoom in years. Primes are generally faster than zooms, so that is something to consider. In fact, I just bought a Nikon 85mm a few days ago from here.

What is your budget? D700 is a great deal right now - and supposedly has excellent/superb low light capabilities. I will be testing this next weekend

Dec 02, 2012 at 01:13 PM
zackrexroad

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Upgrading equipment

well im not very sure my actual budget right now. being a college student, i have little money, but im very good at saving. lol im definately not ready to go to a full frame camera body yet. hence i like the three bodies i mentioned. I know lenses are gonna be alot regardless so im just trying to plan my setup.

Dec 02, 2012 at 02:03 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.