New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Hot Shoe Flash

Gunslinger
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Hot Shoe Flash

I want a good HSF that can be used in a mannual mode with power settings at 16 levels. I don't want to pay for a Canon 580 EX. All I need is manual controls. Vivitar has some decent lights. What do YOU recommend?

Dec 01, 2012 at 08:34 PM
ravisrajan
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Hot Shoe Flash

Try lumopro flash, currently out of stock, is one the best manual flash.
http://mpex.com/lumopro-lp160-manual-flash.html

Dec 01, 2012 at 08:42 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Hot Shoe Flash

Gunslinger wrote:
...with power settings at 16 levels.

I don't know where you would find 16 power levels in a hot-shoe flash. Most will give you 4 or 6, and a few will give you 8, but I can't recall seeing any that give 16.

For example, my Vivitar 285HV has Full, 1/2, 1/4, and 1/16 (it skips 1/8 for some reason) for 4 levels, and my Canon 580EX & EX II give Full, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/32, 1/64, and 1/128 for 8 levels.

Dec 01, 2012 at 10:29 PM
paulhodson
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Hot Shoe Flash

16? !

My old Canon 540EZ has 8 - from 1/1 to 1/128

16 levels would make that 1/1 to 1/32768 as a minimum. Hmm

Dec 02, 2012 at 11:40 AM
dedsen
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Hot Shoe Flash

Canon 580ex has full to 1/128 in 1/3 stop adjustments. That is more than 16 levels.

I have the Yongnuo YN 560 flash. It is a manual only flash that is the same size as my Canon 580ex. It also adjusts from full power to 1/128 power in 1/3rd stop steps. That is 22 levels for those that are counting along. It has been a great flash and is almost the same power as the 580ex. There is a new II version out now with some improved features like a metal foot instead of plastic and an LCD display instead of LED indicators. The cost difference direct from Yongnuo is $60 for version 1 and $75 for version 2. You can find them for less if you look around some. They are less than $50 on Amazon for the version 1. I really like the version 1 LEDs better because they are easier to see in low light than the LCD screen.

Dec 02, 2012 at 12:04 PM
Gunslinger
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Hot Shoe Flash

Okay. 8levels. Who makes a flash with full manual controls and none of the other bells and whistles? Or not so many anyway? The Canon flashes are excellent, but why pay for their E-TTL multi-light system if you never plan to use it? I had a couple of Nikon lights I picked up used for about sixty dollars each. Shot them to death at wedding receptions and such. I would like to replace them with a little better light, but not $500 for a HSF.

Dec 02, 2012 at 04:51 PM
Gunslinger
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Hot Shoe Flash

ravisrajan wrote:
Try lumopro flash, currently out of stock, is one the best manual flash.
http://mpex.com/lumopro-lp160-manual-flash.html

This looks like exactly the ticket. Thanks!!!

Dec 02, 2012 at 06:50 PM
ravisrajan
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Hot Shoe Flash

Gunslinger wrote:
Okay. 8levels. Who makes a flash with full manual controls and none of the other bells and whistles? Or not so many anyway? The Canon flashes are excellent, but why pay for their E-TTL multi-light system if you never plan to use it? I had a couple of Nikon lights I picked up used for about sixty dollars each. Shot them to death at wedding receptions and such. I would like to replace them with a little better light, but not $500 for a HSF.

I picked few old canon 430 EZ lens from KEH for about $ 40 each to learn off camera flash, after got these flash I realized that this does not stay on after 90 sec if not used, not much useful for off camera flash, where as it was my first learning tool for manual flash/bounce flash/off camera etc., all I need to do is make sure flash is on before taking picture
I would suggest to buy old flash since you are planning to use manual flash mode.
http://www.keh.com/Camera/format-35mm/system-Canon-EOS/category-Shoe-Mount-Flashes?s=1&bcode=CE&ccode=21&cc=80545&r=WG&f

Dec 02, 2012 at 10:11 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Hot Shoe Flash

dedsen wrote:
Canon 580ex has full to 1/128 in 1/3 stop adjustments. That is more than 16 levels.

I guess we have different ways of counting. I have 6 steps leading from my rec room level to my living level, and 8 steps leading from there to the bedrooms. I consider my house to be a tri-level, not a 14-level.

But yes, if you count all the steps as full levels, the Canon 580EX & EXII have 22 levels.

Dec 02, 2012 at 10:51 PM
dedsen
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Hot Shoe Flash

BrianO wrote:
I guess we have different ways of counting. I have 6 steps leading from my rec room level to my living level, and 8 steps leading from there to the bedrooms. I consider my house to be a tri-level, not a 14-level.

Great apples and oranges example. Not relevant but entertaining.

Dec 03, 2012 at 10:42 AM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Hot Shoe Flash

dedsen wrote:
Great apples and oranges example. Not relevant but entertaining.

I believe BrianO's example is definitely apples to apples. A 1/3 stop is a level but not a full one. As he stated, it depends on how you're counting. His examples is counting as full. You can stop at the middle of your stairs (1/3 level), but what can you do there?

Dec 04, 2012 at 10:18 AM
photogreen
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Hot Shoe Flash

as already mentioned, LumoPro LP160 is a great choice, but it's discontinued now. another manual flash I use is Promaster Duolight 250, but it's a hybrid (also has LEDs), and therefore more expensive...

Dec 04, 2012 at 06:52 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Hot Shoe Flash

photogreen wrote:
as already mentioned, LumoPro LP160 is a great choice, but it's discontinued now.

I'm waiting with bated breath for the announcement of the successor to the LP160. I know what I'm hoping for, but only time will tell.

Dec 04, 2012 at 07:03 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Hot Shoe Flash

550EX ... a bargain compared to the 580EX II

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/eos_slr_camera_systems/flashes/speedlite_550ex#Specifications

http://downloads.canon.com/cpr/software/camera/Speedlite_550EX_manual.pdf

Manual down to 1/128 (8 steps) ... HSS, Master/Slave, E-TTL, EC/Bracketing, Stroboscopic, External battery capable, etc, etc, etc,. ... going for around $200 (+/-) ... 95% of the 580EX II GN performance (55 meters vs. 58 meters @ ISO 100, 105mm zoom head) & features, <50% of the price.

Manual, Auto, Bells & Whistles, Bargain Price ... tough to beat "last year's Cadillac" if you really think about it.

Dec 04, 2012 at 07:35 PM
Shotsy

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Hot Shoe Flash

cordellwillis wrote:
I believe BrianO's example is definitely apples to apples. A 1/3 stop is a level but not a full one. As he stated, it depends on how you're counting. His examples is counting as full. You can stop at the middle of your stairs (1/3 level), but what can you do there?

But what can you do there?

I'm sorry I have nothing to contribute to this thread but thank you for the laugh on this looong Friday afternoon.

Dec 14, 2012 at 05:15 PM
Bryan Mordt
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Hot Shoe Flash

I think you would be hard pressed to finder a better manual flash than this...

http://www.amazon.com/YONGNUO-Flash-Speedlite-YN-560-II/dp/B0079F1NVO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1355620531&sr=8-2&keywords=yn560+ii

I bought one and was pleased enough to order a second. For under $80 they are amazing.

Dec 15, 2012 at 08:17 PM
LumoPro

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Hot Shoe Flash

@Brian O- Patience my Friend

@Bryan Mordt- give me until the end of 2013 and I'll get you this legendary flash.

Dec 27, 2012 at 01:52 PM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Hot Shoe Flash

The word "level" is ambiguous here. IMHO, any difference in output generates a different level (ie quantity) of light, thus the Yongnuo and Canon have 22 distinct levels of possible output. Those 22 levels are spread across 8 stops, which is an entirely separate and distinct term.

Having each level be 1/3 of a stop more or less does not make it "1/3 of a level", it simply makes it 1/3 of a stop. And while 1/3 of a stair is meaningless, 1/3 of a stop of light is most certainly nothing of the sort.

Dec 27, 2012 at 09:36 PM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Hot Shoe Flash

I used the Vivitars 285s before switching to Canons speedlites for the auto ability. Manual is great when subject to flash distance is constant otherwise the Ettl mode needs to be used.

Jan 03, 2013 at 04:43 AM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Hot Shoe Flash

There is a simple mod to give the Vivitars 285s I think up to 32 steps of light using some resisters,a rotary switch and some soldering. Look it up you faint beat the age long Vivitars. There are other useful mods out there to solve almost any problem faced. It was/is a photojournalist light because there so good.

Jan 11, 2013 at 02:05 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.