Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Local Author Book Jacket Portrait

andyjh
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Local Author Book Jacket Portrait

Met this woman a short time ago and told me she was in need of a portrait for her book jackets. I'm partial to the antique look for her. Any thoughts.

Dec 01, 2012 at 09:50 PM
Doug-S

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Local Author Book Jacket Portrait

Agreed. I like the antique look better.

Dec 01, 2012 at 10:20 PM
bbourizk
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Local Author Book Jacket Portrait

Second shot is better. ..I think I'd like it in color

Dec 02, 2012 at 09:23 AM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Local Author Book Jacket Portrait

I'm attracted to the first shot, but with reservations. What I don't like are two things:

- how centered she is in the picture. I envision a crop that includes the "rose", but not her hands, also cropping some off the left side.
- the hands. They say the photographer placed them in that position. Very "posed".

The B&W seems to lack something that the colour gives. Can't put my finger on it. Might be a drab sort of feel to the dress, especially after seeing the bright red in #1.

Good job in both shots bringing out her expression.

Dec 02, 2012 at 11:56 AM
schlotz
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Local Author Book Jacket Portrait

touch up the teeth just a tad

Dec 02, 2012 at 01:18 PM

andyjh
• •
p.1 #6 · Local Author Book Jacket Portrait

Thanks for the input. Agreed teeth may need a little whitening. These are unretouched and serviing essentially as "proofs". I'll clean up the finished version for her. Here's the antique look in original color.

Dec 02, 2012 at 04:26 PM
CW100
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Local Author Book Jacket Portrait

andyjh wrote:
Thanks for the input. Agreed teeth may need a little whitening. These are unretouched and serviing essentially as "proofs". I'll clean up the finished version for her. Here's the antique look in original color.

I like the color version.

Dec 02, 2012 at 06:25 PM
Eyeball
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Local Author Book Jacket Portrait

Seems like short- or butterfly-, rather than broad-lighting, would have been a little more flattering for this woman. Did you consider those alternatives?

Dec 02, 2012 at 06:34 PM
andyjh
• •
p.1 #9 · Local Author Book Jacket Portrait

Had large octobox high and to the left of the camera (her right) and fill on the other side. Lighting pattern was actually least of the problems after discovering my initial backdrop choice wasn't working. Had a blue gel projected onto my grey seamless attempting to work with some blue tones, but the backdrop done this way showed through her hair which was not very full. Didn't look good at all, so quickly thought if I just worked with the darker gray drop the hair issue might be minimized. Which I think did work. Had a hairlight all ready to go before she walked in the door and quickly turned that off knowing it wasn't going to be our friend.

Dec 02, 2012 at 09:43 PM
jefferies1
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Local Author Book Jacket Portrait

They are all clean images. The first background reminds me of school photos because of the backgrounf and hands. I really prefer the solid color shown later. That choice of clothing would not be what I would suggest for a head shot. The flower draws attention away from the face. The antique look does help hide it.
I think a different angle would be better to reduce the chin. I know you can't totally hide it but this angle brings it out while another angle would hide a lot more.
This chin subject had a long thread 1-2 weeks ago. Even a video with samples.
Would be well worth looking up.

As for the photo being antique look. A lot depends on the subject of the book as to what look is required of the photo.

Dec 03, 2012 at 09:19 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password