New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Colormunki Smile - a brief non-technical review

DigMeTX
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Colormunki Smile - a brief non-technical review

I won a Colormunki Smile from Xrite recently in their little photo contest. I was curious about it because it can be had new for about $90 which is a good bit cheaper than other color calibration solutions. The drawback is that it doesn't set luminance or custom white points. It's pretty limited with a wizard that guides you through the process and it's super easy to set up. As far as settings go you are locked in to D65 and a gamma of 2.2. If you want anything different then don't buy this but that should be fine for the average user.

You need to set the appropriate luminance before you start the calibration because it doesn't change. In another thread user RHPS suggested the following:

RHPS wrote:
You can do it reasonably well with your camera. Take a look at http://www.hermitage-ps.co.uk/monitor_luminance.htm

There was some discussion over whether or not this was accurate but I used this method with my D600 and the luminance was DEAD-ON with what a Spyder4Pro said was 120 cd/m2. Impressive!

To me the results looked pretty similar to the calibration that I got from a Spyder4Pro. I calibrated with the Colormunki Smile, then processed some photos and then calibrated with the Spyder4 and the photos still looked great.

Conclusion - this is a great basic calibration solution for those on a budget who have been putting off calibrating as long as you are not super geeky about every little setting. Just be sure and calibrate luminance first using the method in the quoted link.

Let me know if you have any questions. I'm sticking with the Spyder4Pro and the Smile is up on Ebay right now but part of me wonders if the Spyder4Pro should be up on Ebay!

brad

Dec 01, 2012 at 04:10 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.