Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Great Can't Miss Grand Canyon Spots

equestrianguy
• •
Account locked
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Great Can't Miss Grand Canyon Spots

I have my trip all lined up in a couple of weeks and it was primarily an antelope canyon trip that I had planned however I was also going to do horse shoe bend seeing as it's just so darn close by in proximity.

Now the big question where can one go in terms of the grand canyon to get magnificant landscape photographs or would you like recommend a tour so I'm not stuck there taking shots by the side of the road. Any input is appreciated.

Also what lens combo would recommend.

Currently I'm taking my 28 1.8, 85 1.8, 135 F2 and I have rented a 24-70 II for the entire trip.

Dec 01, 2012 at 06:25 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Great Can't Miss Grand Canyon Spots

It is not easy to make unique and meaningful images at the GC. Sure, it is spectacular and everywhere you turn there appears to be a photo op, but most all of them look the same millions of other postcards. Because of the vast distances and typically limited spots to shoot from, many images look washed out or just common, and in trying to make a 'fine art' image we so often end up with a snapshot-like thing that was exciting to capture at the time, but is disappointing when you look at it on the computer a week later. This has been happening to me for ten years. This year, finally, I made an image there that I like, and still it is sort of common. Conditions are crucial there. I don't bother to take the camera bag outa the car if it's sunny and clear.

I'm sure there are many here who have had the opposite experience. Everyone has their own vision, desire, and standards that they want to hold.

I suggest getting up early every day and checking out all the viewpoints on whatever rim you are at. Come back again at sunset. Hike down the trails a bit for more special views and to avoid the crowds and screaming kids. Good luck during the day

Dec 01, 2012 at 06:54 PM
nrferguson
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Great Can't Miss Grand Canyon Spots

I agree with Jeffrey I've only been to the GC once (on a tour of the SW canyons) but I found GC a very difficult place to get a good image -good luck!
Niall

Dec 02, 2012 at 04:55 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

BauerPower
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Great Can't Miss Grand Canyon Spots

Here is a link to the GCPark site that details seasonal road closures. Highway 67 which accesses the North Rim of the canyon may be closed for the winter at any time.

My wife and I have visited GC many times. It has a different feel each time we are there.

Dec 02, 2012 at 05:18 PM
Adam Schallau
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Great Can't Miss Grand Canyon Spots

Looks like BauerPower's link didn't get inserted into his post. Here's a link to Grand Canyon National Park's road closures.

I was just up at the canyon yesterday to spend some time on the Hermit Road which just opened up to private vehicles for the winter. It was fantastic! I actually don't mind the shuttle buses as I find them to be convenient and easy to use, but it was nice to take my own vehicle out there.

Dec 02, 2012 at 05:53 PM
Adam Schallau
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Great Can't Miss Grand Canyon Spots

Regarding lenses to use at the Grand Canyon, I have found that the 3 most common focal lengths I use are 24mm, 45mm, and 90mm, all on a full-frame body. I tend to use 24mm when shooting vertical comps, and 45mm for horizontals, but that's by no means a rule to follow. Lens choice is really going to depend on your personal style as well.

The Grand Canyon is also a great place to make use of a telephoto zoom, such as a 70-200 or 70-300, to isolate interesting light and elements in the landscape. It's a big place, but I suggest to my students that they look for the little details in the canyon as they're part of the story too.

If you have the time, I suggest that you try to get away from Grand Canyon Village. The East Rim between Grandview and Desert View is a fun area to explore. Start at the parking areas and then just walk the rim in search of a spot to shoot from. You'll discover that you can quickly leave the crowds behind and feel like you have a small part of the canyon to yourself. You could also do this on the Hermit Road once you get west of Hopi Point.

Dec 02, 2012 at 06:01 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password