Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Charging LP-E6 batteries

rprouty
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Charging LP-E6 batteries

Can LP-E6 batteries be overcharger, left on the charger too long?

Thanks

Rod

Dec 01, 2012 at 05:24 PM
SeverianTL
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Charging LP-E6 batteries

No. Both the battery and the charger are "intelligent." They have chips in them that monitor the state of charge of the battery. If the charger and battery are in proper working order, they will stop charging when the battery is full. I believe that if you put a battery on the charger that is initially more than 98% full, the charger will not charge it further.

Dec 01, 2012 at 05:34 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Charging LP-E6 batteries

Actually, if left in the charger for a long time, the battery starts to self discharge, and you might find a 90+% charge when you go to pull it off the charger. I've noticed that on mine, the battery gets fully charged, then self discharges over time.

I suppose that the charger will turn on again when the charge falls too low, but I don't know what level that is.

Dec 02, 2012 at 01:41 AM
Chumma
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Charging LP-E6 batteries

Does it make any difference when you recharge a LP-E6, for example, when it is is half discharged or fully discharged?

Dec 02, 2012 at 02:50 AM
Shutterbug2006
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Charging LP-E6 batteries

Half discharged or fully discharged... Lithium Ion batteries charge back up just fine.

Where you will have an issue is if you leave a Li-Ion battery fully discharged for a period of time before charging it back up.

Dec 02, 2012 at 05:39 AM
arnold1
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Charging LP-E6 batteries

Shutterbug2006 wrote:
Half discharged or fully discharged... Lithium Ion batteries charge back up just fine.

Where you will have an issue is if you leave a Li-Ion battery fully discharged for a period of time before charging it back up.

+1

Dec 02, 2012 at 05:25 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Ben Horne
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Charging LP-E6 batteries

If your lithium ion battery was over charged, you'd know about it -- It would explode and possibly catch your house on fire. They have circuitry on the battery that prevents it from being over charged.

Dec 02, 2012 at 05:53 PM
mikegrados
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Charging LP-E6 batteries

Sorry about digging up an old thread, but I thought it'd be better than creating a new one...

Anyway, got my 6D, the battery that came with it, and one back up LP-E6.

The LP-E6 from the box charged up and works just fine (flashing orange to green in several hours). The spare (which is Canon), when plugged into the same charger, only gives me a fast flashing orange light. I left it on the charger for several hours, threw it in the camera, and got nothing.

Is this is DOA battery, or is there something I can try before RMA'ing? Thanks in advace!

Dec 23, 2012 at 01:17 AM
Shutterbug2006
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Charging LP-E6 batteries

Sounds like it is defective. Check to see there's no obstruction, like a piece of tape or sliver of cardboard in one of the pin slots of the battery. If not, have it replaced.

Dec 23, 2012 at 02:07 AM
mikegrados
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Charging LP-E6 batteries

Nothing on the contacts, and if the date code stamped on the back is date of manufacture, then it was made a year ago (2011 12).

RMA'ing. Thanks!

Dec 23, 2012 at 02:19 AM
mmurph
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Charging LP-E6 batteries

Check for counterfeit. Canon has some pictures of some counterfeit batteries at their Canon USA site

More likely that it just sat on the shelf too long and voltage is low enough that the charger sees it as defective.

Dec 23, 2012 at 03:08 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password