Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · World War II 4X5 Colour Photos

Oasisbill
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · World War II 4X5 Colour Photos

Forgive me if you have seen these before. It is a fascinating window into the fairly recent past:

http://pavel-kosenko.livejournal.com/303194.html?thread=22669914

From one of my email partners....

Amazing quality!!

Back in the mid '70s when I was working at Hellers Camera in Bethesda Md. I had a reference book with a color photo of the battleship Pennsylvania in an advanced base sectional dock, somewhere in the Pacific in about 1944. The quality of the photo made it clear that it was shot with a large format camera, which puzzled me since I did not think Kodachrome (the only modern color film of the time in the US ) was available in sheet films. A guy I worked with was an old Kodak hand (and WWII vet, a radioman in Europe) and told me that they did have sheet Kodachrome, and that there was only one machine to process the film, located in Rochester . The exposed film was sent there for processing.
And note the almost complete lack of basic safety equipment. I saw only one pair of safety glasses, and only a few of the workers were wearing gloves. Working without gloves around sheet metal is an injury waiting to happen.

Notice most of the woman had lip stick and nail polish on. WWII could not have been won without the woman of America stepping into men's shoes to build the equipment needed to defeat the axis powers.

Fascinating! Some of these these images are 70 years old and look as fresh as ever. If someone had told any of the subjects in these photos that we'd have such a clear look at them in the year 2012... Boggles my mind. Thought you'd find this interesting !

Dec 01, 2012 at 01:09 PM
anthonysemone
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · World War II 4X5 Colour Photos

Fascinating, indeed

Dec 01, 2012 at 01:21 PM
S-Man23
• •
p.1 #3 · World War II 4X5 Colour Photos

I've seen these before but still love reviewing them. The lighting in some of these seems strobist-esque. I wonder what he was using for light back then. Great stuff.

Dec 01, 2012 at 01:52 PM
davenfl
• • • •
p.1 #4 · World War II 4X5 Colour Photos

There are large collections of these types of photos, all are simply fantastic. These appear to be a small set from the larger 365 photo set in the Shorpy Collection. Look about 1/10 of the way down the page under Kodachromes.

http://www.shorpy.com/4x5-large-format-kodachromes

Dave

Dec 01, 2012 at 01:57 PM
jimmytabert

p.1 #5 · World War II 4X5 Colour Photos

Amazing collection! Thanks for posting.

Dec 01, 2012 at 03:24 PM
fingerda
• •
p.1 #6 · World War II 4X5 Colour Photos

Great collection of pictures. I consult at Corpus Christi NAS and there are many similar photos on the walls near my office that are amazing to look at.

Dec 01, 2012 at 03:58 PM
anthonysemone
• • • •
p.1 #7 · World War II 4X5 Colour Photos

On my second look, notice the relative absence of obesity

Dec 01, 2012 at 07:40 PM

merv.carr
• •
p.1 #8 · World War II 4X5 Colour Photos

These are awesome!! Looks like they were taken yesterday

Dec 01, 2012 at 08:11 PM
airjrdn

p.1 #9 · World War II 4X5 Colour Photos

Unbelievable quality!

Dec 02, 2012 at 03:33 AM
kwilliam8
• • •
p.1 #10 · World War II 4X5 Colour Photos

Fantastic!!! What a generation!
Keith W.

Dec 02, 2012 at 04:01 AM
vchowdhary
• • •
p.1 #11 · World War II 4X5 Colour Photos

From the looks of most of these.. They give the impression of planned/posed shots for publicity.

Excellent images nonetheless. Fascinating to read and view.

Dec 02, 2012 at 04:10 AM
boxman
• •
p.1 #12 · World War II 4X5 Colour Photos

I think that Alfred Palmer was a heck of a good photographer!

Dec 03, 2012 at 07:46 PM
henrynvirginia
• •
p.1 #13 · World War II 4X5 Colour Photos

I agree that these looked planned, given how perfect the lighting is.Some women are even wearing nail polish while revitting. All exceptional historical time captures of when America truly came together for a just cause. We will ever have a similar time?

Dec 03, 2012 at 10:37 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password