Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Possibly damage the AF motor in the body...?

HyperCams
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Possibly damage the AF motor in the body...?

Hi,
I just got a wonderful Sigma 24mm F/1.8 lens.
Only problem? the manual focus ring on the lens SUCKS!!! It does NOT move very easily at all.
It is not that the ring is tight, tight I can live with. It is that the ring is difficult to move SMOOTHLY.
The ring rotates like an Aperture Ring....like in small intervals no matter how lightly/hard I try to move it.

this is with the D800 in M mode on the AF/M or M mode switch.

***EDIT*** I know the lens' focus ring must be pulled back into MF mode in order to engage the MF clutch..

There is a "work around"...
If I leave the D800 in the AF/M mode(AF motor engaged), the focus ring moves VERY smoothly, though I know it is turning the motor inside the body as it makes a sound like moving a motor against its will...(no I did not do this for more than a few seconds so as to not damage the body)

Using the lens in AF mode, it works perfectly and I love it...
But 90% of my paying work is video, so this lens is useless for me in this regard..

SO...
do I send the lens back to the seller and get my $ back, get it repaired, or do you think that if I used the "work around" that it will be fine and not ruin the AF motor?
My gut says this should not be done this way, and I should get my $ back, or send it in for repairs before taking a chance on burning out the motor inside the body...

ANY input is greatly appreciated.

thanks!

Edited on Dec 01, 2012 at 06:07 AM · View previous versions

Dec 01, 2012 at 05:43 AM
Evangelos

p.1 #2 · Possibly damage the AF motor in the body...?

I also have this combo....you don't know your lens well. Pull the focus ring towards you to engage the manual focus mode on the Len's....this particular Sigma (and it's bothers, the 20mm and the 28mm) are like that.

Dec 01, 2012 at 05:49 AM
Evangelos

p.1 #3 · Possibly damage the AF motor in the body...?

Ironically, when you engage the manual focus system on the Sigma, it has an awesome feel.

Evan

Dec 01, 2012 at 05:52 AM
HyperCams
• •
p.1 #4 · Possibly damage the AF motor in the body...?

I know the lens very well.
I have, currently, and in the past owned MANY Sigma lenses.

I know that the ring must be pulled back to engage the MF...

I am sorry I didnt specify that in the first post...

BUT, hello. If the ring is not pulled back, you cannot manually focus it as the clutch is not engaged in the lens...the ring is useless in AF mode as it does nothing...until pulled into MF mode..
so, your point is kinda blind/irrelevant..imho.
Obviously the ring MUST be pulled back to engage MF...
If I had the ring in AF position, I would be asking; "Why isnt Manual Focus working at all?"..lol

Like I said, the performance in AF mode is PERFECT.
But when the lens MF is engaged, and the body is switched to M, the ring moves HORRIBLY and erratically..nowhere near smooth.
If I put the body into AF/M mode, engaging the AF motor, but with the lens still in MF mode, it moves smoothly BUT does turn the AF motor at the same time..this is my concern...and my question..

Thanks

Edited on Dec 01, 2012 at 06:08 AM · View previous versions

Dec 01, 2012 at 05:59 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Evangelos

p.1 #5 · Possibly damage the AF motor in the body...?

Well, in that case, I would not risk damaging the camera.

Evan.

Dec 01, 2012 at 06:04 AM
HyperCams
• •
p.1 #6 · Possibly damage the AF motor in the body...?

Evangelos wrote:
Well, in that case, I would not risk damaging the camera.

Evan.

That is my gut feeling as well..but kinda wanted another opinion as maybe this is something others have done for whatever reasons and there has been no harm to the body's AF motor...

Ahh well...guess i will have to get my $ back as it is useless..
(now if only the seller will reply to my PMs! lol )

Dec 01, 2012 at 06:10 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · Possibly damage the AF motor in the body...?

Not the best idea. Most likely the gear train in the lens or possibly the one in the camera will be damaged eventually.

EBH

Dec 01, 2012 at 06:47 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password