Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Where to print wall clings?

Jeff_Stapleton
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Where to print wall clings?

I have an image that a ton of my parents absolutely love

091412 Elysian Fields Football-2 by Jeff Stapleton Sports, on Flickr

One parent asked about making a wall cling of this image. It got my mind cranking. Its a small community, I am fairly well known for what I do there, and I know many many kids and families. I thought about rather than doing a one off, advertising it and seeing how many commitments I could get. I think that this could be a very successful opportunity, BUT, wall clings are rather expensive (from what I've found). From Mpix, the cost of a cling with a 1 ft width is $40. A cling with a 5 ft width is $90.

I would imagine parents would want a bigger image, but I don't I can't imagine that they would want to spend the $140-$150 I'd want to charge to even make it a profitable thing.

What do you suggest? Possibly just make a large poster?

Also, If I did a cling, I would probably plan on just doing a 4:5 ratio crop rather than a cutout. This was a real quick detail shot during a delay, and I didn't consider this possibility. It was in the turf, and I shot at 2.8...there is turf in the bottom edge of the helmet, and a not-well defined edge in the back of the helmet. I've started a cutout on it, but I don't think it would look good as a cutout.

Dec 01, 2012 at 02:55 AM
Carl Auer
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Where to print wall clings?

mpix, mpix pro do wall clings.

Dec 01, 2012 at 03:10 AM
Tanner_J
• •
p.1 #3 · Where to print wall clings?

The company that prints the image will do the cutout, no need for you to worry about it at all.

You have to charge what is reasonable to you and your business. A standard Fathead of a pro player sells for $99.99. Realize, that 5 feet wide for a helmet is huge. It would end up really being 5x5 in the end because a helmet is pretty even, especially in your image. The labs won't even print that way. I'd say 3 feet is as big as you'd want to go and Mpix that is $60.

Seems pretty easy to make a profit there. If they love it that much, they'll buy it. I've had better luck with people in small towns spending the money.

Dec 01, 2012 at 03:59 AM
Ralph Thompson
• • •
p.1 #4 · Where to print wall clings?

I've had them done at my local Fastsign franchise. I had a 4 foot tall baseball player done for $45. Solid job.

Dec 01, 2012 at 07:11 AM
pharmasea
• •
p.1 #5 · Where to print wall clings?

I use www.wallmonkeys.com They offer photographers discounts and do a great job. http://www.wallmonkeys.com/pages/photographer-faq-25

Dec 02, 2012 at 03:57 AM
Jeff_Stapleton
• • •
p.1 #6 · Where to print wall clings?

Interesting... thanks pharmasea

Dec 02, 2012 at 07:57 PM
James Broome
• • •
p.1 #7 · Where to print wall clings?

Another option is www.wallhogs.com. I've used them in the past with good results.

Dec 02, 2012 at 08:17 PM
ALEX88MAC

p.1 #8 · Where to print wall clings?

dont do a cutout. i think the image looks great as it is. maybe tweak the cropping. it will be almost impossible since the details in the black facemask are lost towards the bottom.

Dec 04, 2012 at 07:42 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Tom D
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Where to print wall clings?

Jeff, you could still do an acceptable cutout for a wall cling, or just re-shoot it in the field lighting at night, but not sitting on the grass. Sprinkle a little water on it and you have the same thing, with the advantage of using any angle you like.

Or just do a cutout and add some kind of background like below (I didn't have any splatter brushes that would look better), and do what Alex is suggesting. Just print the full frame as a poster, or do a wall cling...

Dec 04, 2012 at 02:58 PM
ALEX88MAC

p.1 #10 · Where to print wall clings?

i like tom's rendition. maybe drop the glow and a shadow. and possibly some text that could look sweet

Dec 04, 2012 at 10:41 PM
grenadier2002
• •
p.1 #11 · Where to print wall clings?

Mpix hands down.

Dec 06, 2012 at 05:01 AM
Jeff_Stapleton
• • •
p.1 #12 · Where to print wall clings?

To get a...say 4x4ft helmet printed, you have to go with their largest print size, which would be a $90 cost to me...I would think it would be hard to sell something like this and make a profit. I guess you could do something smaller...possibly print more than one on the size paper they offer?

Dec 06, 2012 at 05:12 PM
BillyHurst
• • •
p.1 #13 · Where to print wall clings?

Jeff,
Do you REALLY need 4'x4'? That's an awful big wall cling, my friend. Especially of a helmet. I would think 2'x2' or 3'x3' max would be more than sufficient. I get mine printed at H&H Color labs in Kansas City (Raytown). 2' x 2' are $16.70 and 3'x3' are $37.58. (Their cost on a 4' x 4' is $66.82)

Also, does anyone know if anyone makes these with the preferations or cut lines like Fathead does? As it stands now, I get mine made in 2' x 3' wall clings and have to cut them out with an Xacto knife.

Dec 06, 2012 at 11:22 PM
mdalby
• •
p.1 #14 · Where to print wall clings?

BillyHurst wrote:
Also, does anyone know if anyone makes these with the preferations or cut lines like Fathead does? As it stands now, I get mine made in 2' x 3' wall clings and have to cut them out with an Xacto knife.

That would be a deal breaker for me I think. That would be a pain in the arse.

Dec 10, 2012 at 07:24 PM
BillyHurst
• • •
p.1 #15 · Where to print wall clings?

Mark, you know it!! That's why I asked if anyone knew of anyone that printed them with the cut already done like Fathead does.

Dec 10, 2012 at 09:29 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password