Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · The Harsh Reality

ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · The Harsh Reality

Hard to capture the invisible cold winters blast. The frigid wind whipping up over the canyon wall onto the stark colorless landscape. I wish I could capture that image. It is December after all, although snow is late in coming. No doubt it's why I was the only one standing up there... Because it was freezing...

http://ckcarr.smugmug.com/Landscapes/New-Images-Recent-within-the/i-DLBgkNz/0/XL/_DSC6407-XL.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Dec 01, 2012 at 02:28 AM
philtax
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · The Harsh Reality

Nice spare vision. I might be tempted to crop away some of the sky because the canyon is so compelling.

Phil

Dec 01, 2012 at 03:03 AM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · The Harsh Reality

I really like this. Is this Green River overlook?

Dec 01, 2012 at 03:44 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · The Harsh Reality

Thanks guys,

Ben it's in the area, but I try and avoid the usual tourist stops. So I have paths all over... A little different because I was backed up and using a longer lens than the usual wide angle. I had really wanted to put emphasis on the gnarly trees... The look I wanted might be described as "forlorn." Didn't quite achieve my vision...

I was really disappointed as the sky looked like it might have changed to a spectacular sunset, but the sun never really broke through. Instead it just got cold and dark.

Dec 01, 2012 at 04:21 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · The Harsh Reality

Never made it to GRO but its on my bucket list. I have spent way to much time at Mesa Arch for sunrise and Fisher Towers for sunset. I still don't have a good Dead Horse Point. But I love those canyon overlooks. I need to spend more time exploring the area. I wish I could camp closer to the area.

I also love those great slabs of rock. The entrance to Island in the Sky has some very nice cliffs that might be great in the morning.

Dec 01, 2012 at 06:06 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · The Harsh Reality

Craig, thanks for NOT over processing this one, and presenting it's naturalness as a means of telling your story. I love the isolation that you felt there.

Dec 01, 2012 at 06:58 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · The Harsh Reality

Really nice look here. Looks like the best time of year to be here in winter. Is there a time when Mesa Arch doesn't have 5000 people lined up to shoot sunrise? If so, I will plan a trip down there during this time

Dec 01, 2012 at 07:03 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · The Harsh Reality

Hey Craig,

Very cool.... Yeah, it's hard to capture cold freezing wind... but this does go a long way towards that. Nice work here.

Jim

Dec 01, 2012 at 07:04 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · The Harsh Reality

I can almost feel your cold.
Really nice shot Craig.

Dec 01, 2012 at 07:10 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · The Harsh Reality

I like the view but smile at your cold. I guess its just how you dress.

For me I like the composition but would move the shadows a bit darker (pull the leves in a bit on the right) because for me a bit more contrast would improve. Not a lot though.

Nice picture. Thanks for sharing.

Scott

Dec 01, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · The Harsh Reality

Thank again guys!

Jeffrey, one thing I did that helped (even though I shoot raw) was to use my rear LCD to adjust white balance as close as possible to what I was seeing, then not touching WB in processing. And going backwards in processing instead of pumping it up. Scott, cold is relative, and the first blast of the year. I did my time in sub freezing Gunnison for years and years but I like the desert. Even so, it will get to negative 10 here at some point (I know, pretty mild compared to your location...).

Dec 02, 2012 at 02:26 PM
ingemar
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · The Harsh Reality

I like it, perhaps a bit too much sky and because it's not that interesting you could crop an inch??

Dec 02, 2012 at 02:34 PM
lhdvries
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · The Harsh Reality

Fred Miranda wrote:
I can almost feel your cold.
Really nice shot Craig.

Plus one!! The image does give me the feeling of being there!-Well done! Now I wish I WAS there!
Leon

Dec 02, 2012 at 03:13 PM
Scott Kroeker
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · The Harsh Reality

Now that is perfection!

Dec 07, 2012 at 03:56 AM
roguecoolman
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · The Harsh Reality

Beautiful photo and really befitting of the title.

Jason

Dec 07, 2012 at 04:47 AM
ScaryFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · The Harsh Reality

I like this. It has a quiet, forlorn feel but very beautiful as well. For me, the contrast is perfect.
It is indeed hard to appreciate the cold wind but having experienced myself I can imagine what it must have been like.
Ute

Dec 07, 2012 at 07:43 AM
David Leask
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · The Harsh Reality

Very nice indeed Craig. Thanks for posting
David

Dec 07, 2012 at 12:10 PM
teked
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · The Harsh Reality

Lovely, Craig. I agree with Jeffery. Definitely fills the mind with a sense of isolation. Very nice. Glad you endured the conditions.

Cheers,
Ed

Dec 08, 2012 at 01:14 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · The Harsh Reality

Thanks so much guys!

One thing I notice is that it's not that apparent that there is a 400 foot cliff right there... All kind of blends together.

Dec 09, 2012 at 06:02 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password